#151 james rolph

james rolph

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:24 PM

Hi

Where abouts are you in northants? im in wellingborough, wouldnt mind having a quick look at the min when your next working on it at a weekend, im not much good at mechanical stuff really im only just learning but i wouldnt mind seeing what youve done so far.

#152 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hi

Where abouts are you in northants? im in wellingborough, wouldnt mind having a quick look at the min when your next working on it at a weekend, im not much good at mechanical stuff really im only just learning but i wouldnt mind seeing what youve done so far.

I'm out Saturday but am hopeing to work on it all day Sunday. I'm in Towcester so let me know if you want to come and have a look and I'll pm you my number.

I'll save you a spanner to lend a hand :tongue: :cheese:

Ade

#153 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

Don't you mean I will be working on it all day while you make the tea. If the kettles not too heavy for you :grin:
Flanges wont be here till Tuesday but can build rest of subframe ready. Will bring glue for chequer plate.

Pete

#154 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

Don't you mean I will be working on it all day while you make the tea.

Ok that arrangment suits me fine Pete. :tongue: :grin:

I'll get my best supervisors chair ready.

#155 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

Well finally a bit more of a productive day (with one minor hitch) we have got the front subframe pretty much ready to bolt onto the car. All we need now is the metro drive flanges to enable us to fit the discs and calipers and thats it.

As Pete correctly predicted I assumed the supervisor role of the day (although I did a good job of keeping the moral high by supplying bbq and drink on request :grin: ) and Pete did a great job of nailing all the bits together.

The one minor hitch was the drivers side upper suspension arm shock bolt had decided it really liked where it was and did not want to be parted :sad: It took about 3hrs, 10 drill bits and lots of angle grinding and swearing before it finally gave in!! :nugget:

But now the lovely purple subframe has all it's adjustable tie rods, camber links, new poly bushes, new upper pivot bearings etc, new pivot ball things and the z-cars front brace frame fitted.

All in all I finally feel like it's made some progress. :grin: :lol:

But I must say a huge thanks to Pete :w00t: without whom I'd still be looking at a big pile of bits. :P :P

Ade

#156 james rolph

james rolph

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

bbq food is an important part! good to see its coming along well, i spent my whole weekend cleaning my car and fitting hi-lows so i cudnt even come and have a loook, when are you planning to have it finished by? or is there no target

#157 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

Originally hoped to get it finished around July but will not be rushing it just to meet a deadline. So if it takes longer it'll take longer.

#158 KC-SWO

KC-SWO

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:05 PM

172BHP for the R1, even the FI R1, is a bit of a stretch.

It is much closer to 150BHP at the wheels stock.
The Hayabusa only tops around 160BHP at the wheels stock.
Custom exhaust, and mapping of the FI system will net some gains, but I'm
doubtful they will net that much.

Still one heck of a project.

I'm hoping to do my own bike engine conversion mini soon.
But, I won't have Z-cars expertise to rely on. It is not cost effective to ship
one of their kits to Canada.

What does a minus weigh compared to a standard mini?

What do they use for a chain drive LSD?

#159 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

But don't bike engines rev to like 20k?!

#160 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

Sweet!!! Nice to hear of someone goin mental with there mini in the northampton area. Im just about to fit a 1400 in mine but once its complete im gunna start on a 250 brake Daihatsu charade engine. Im think in of twin turboin it with one small turbo & one monty one for a constant high boost no matter what the revs are. Itll obviously be built by yours truly but every thing will have to be bespoke. I was thinking of exactly what your doin but fancied some thing a bit different. Also have you ever heard one of those Charades, they sound mean. Cant wait to see your car in the flesh

#161 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

how to you plan on keeping the turbo spnning with no exhaust gasses exactly?

#162 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Im gunna run a similar set up to the new Twin turbo deisel vectras. It will have a specialy made mandevel bent manifold that branches in to two(im a plumber). when the boost gets to high for the small turbo the actuator will open fully then direct the rest of the gasses to the big turbo which will work as usuall. Its hard to explain with out the use of a diagram but im sure itll work.

#163 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

172BHP for the R1, even the FI R1, is a bit of a stretch.

What does a minus weigh compared to a standard mini?

What do they use for a chain drive LSD?

172 Bhp @12500rpm is the official Yamaha figure (but your right it's at the flywheel) am hoping for 150 to 160 at the wheels initially..... if I manage to get bored (unlikley I know but I did get bored with my Impreza and tuned that to approx 320bhp) I have been looking at a turbo conversion for the R1 which without going mad and stressing the standard internals to much, should be good for about 200 - 220bhp at the wheels :saywhat: :grin:

Unfortunately I'm not sure what the weight difference is offically but it is very light. As it is (just bodyshell) it can be carried very comfortably by two people :-

The chain is fed to a sprocket joined to an LSD but that was an option I went for, I believe that a standard diff is... well standard.

I must admit I don't think I have seen any tuned mini's round this way since the big one at Silverstone last year. Would love to see one running the a normally tuned Charade GTti they are a seriously underated engine!!! :cry:

#164 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:54 PM

Tell me about it. I bought the engine for £25 quid!!!! I bought it on the under standing it was well and trully knakered but it turnded out to be a broken up piston which amazingly didnt leave a mark on the block. Its incredibly light with only 3 cylinders & ive heard their extremly well balanced naturaly. People usually only turn the boost up on these but im desprate to see how itll go with every part completely moded and steangthened. If anyone has any info on these rare engines itll be much appreciated.

#165 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

I'm afraid I don't know anymore than the basics.

As standard they are hugely under tuned, with simple air fuel and boost mods can make silly power! Was once surprised by one on my old scooby!!!! :saywhat:

Came of a roundabout saw him along side trying to egg me on (i made the mistake on underestimating it and didn't bother to change out of third) and it gave me a very close run!! :- Needless to say at the next roundabout selected second and applied a bit more effort to show him that it was not a "scooby beater" :tongue:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users