#662 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hello all just wondering if there is a shop in the uk that would do this engine conversion for me if I give them my mini, it needs to be in the uk though and how much would it cost, I haven't got the tools or the space to do it hahaa

You could look at buying an all speed frame and just getting the engine mounts and drive shafts built.

Where about in Warwickshire are you?

I'm in coventry most of the time for University but unfortunately I don't have anywhere to work on a car where I live other than the road. My landlord also threatened to evict me after starting to rebuild a C20XE engine in my living room. Shame as me and a few automotive and motor sport engineering student friends may have been able to help you a bit.

You could try Hayling mini over on 16v mini club. He works on minis in their garage and has done engine conversions for people however most of the conversions I have seen him done use a pre built frame and I don't think he has ever done a micra conversion.

#663 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Either that or send bigchief a plane ticket ...and probably a thermal jacket :D

#664 lon3_wo1f409

lon3_wo1f409

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hello all just wondering if there is a shop in the uk that would do this engine conversion for me if I give them my mini, it needs to be in the uk though and how much would it cost, I haven't got the tools or the space to do it hahaa

You could look at buying an all speed frame and just getting the engine mounts and drive shafts built.

I'm in coventry most of the time for University but unfortunately I don't have anywhere to work on a car where I live other than the road. My landlord also threatened to evict me after starting to rebuild a C20XE engine in my living room. Shame as me and a few automotive and motor sport engineering student friends may have been able to help you a bit.

You could try Hayling mini over on 16v mini club. He works on minis in their garage and has done engine conversions for people however most of the conversions I have seen him done use a pre built frame and I don't think he has ever done a micra conversion.

i live in rugby so about half hour drive or 15 mins train ride to town centre, i would love to have this done but first of all if someone did do it for me i would need to know how many pennies it would cost so i can get saving hahaa

#665 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Having a look at allspeeds website a bare suzuki frame looks as though it could work.

Items I can think of that you would need (excluding tools) and prices where known.

Frame £325 + delivery
paint
3/16 steel 4" wide approximately 8' long (it takes a lot more steel plate to build engine mounts than you would imagine)
Range rover gearbox mounts (3 minimum 4 preferably) £13 including delivery
Donor car £500 ish (depends on engine size and you may be lucky and find one cheap)
Copper brake piping
£200's worth of other odds and ends that inevitably would need buying.

There is easily £1200 and that hasn't even included labour and there will be something I missed.

People who have done the micra conversion would be able to give you a better estimation. I haven't done one. I am just going off experience from building my Vauxhall conversion.

You could modify an existing mini frame for less but if you have to get someone else to do it then you will end up paying more in labour.

#666 lon3_wo1f409

lon3_wo1f409

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Having a look at allspeeds website a bare suzuki frame looks as though it could work.

Items I can think of that you would need (excluding tools) and prices where known.

Frame £325 + delivery
paint
3/16 steel 4" wide approximately 8' long (it takes a lot more steel plate to build engine mounts than you would imagine)
Range rover gearbox mounts (3 minimum 4 preferably) £13 including delivery
Donor car £500 ish (depends on engine size and you may be lucky and find one cheap)
Copper brake piping
£200's worth of other odds and ends that inevitably would need buying.

There is easily £1200 and that hasn't even included labour and there will be something I missed.

People who have done the micra conversion would be able to give you a better estimation. I haven't done one. I am just going off experience from building my Vauxhall conversion.

You could modify an existing mini frame for less but if you have to get someone else to do it then you will end up paying more in labour.

well I already have a mini I could put it in but I need it to get to and from work hahaa, awful a lot of messing around just for a 5th gear and a little bit more power compaired to my 998

#667 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

A little bit more power? More like 3x more lol

#668 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

A little bit more power? More like 3x more lol

That would be a one litre Micra engine with a turbo fitted then?

#669 traffordt59

traffordt59

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Love the project looks well .. delighted to seee others using the micra engine .. here is my baby at the moment its a 1.3 16v micra eninge wit fuel injection instead of carb .. i wanted a fully reliable car so we completly striped out the mini wiring and put in a full micra loom and wired everything to tat .. this may of been time consuming but it now has an ECU for fault finding and full engine immobiliser

Attached Files

#670 minidude1000

minidude1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

nice! luvin the extractors!

#671 Roelandt

Roelandt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hello Everyone,
I have just joined this forum and I am from New Zealand. I am very interested in doing a Micra engine conversion in a Mini ( basically for performance and reliability) I'm debating between the cg10 or cg13, because from what I understand is that the cg10 gearbox fits easier, is that why some people are using the cg10 gearbox with the cg13 engine? Also does anyone make a conversion kit? Or does anyone have drawings for the subframe design. I haven't got the skills and gear to fabricate one myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#672 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

hello there welcome to the forum the conversion is quite hard in a way to package everything in in such a small space, the cg10 apparently has a smaller gear box but i found this marginal compared to a cg13, as far as ready to go kits i believe there is none simply due to the fact the conversion is growing with popularity and no one has done a kit yet, probably because if you made a subframe, sold it and it broke i believe you legally liable in court! there fore every makes there own designs

theres a number of different frame designs ive seen and i have a photo archive of most of them, it depends on what set up and what sort of mountings your planning to use, one built from scratch or utilizing standard mounts like i am. your best bet is to go through the threads and do research as all the answers are there like alternator issues, gear box clearance etc etc best of luck if you decide to do it

Edited by lucas1amps, 24 April 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#673 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

First thing to do is to read as many of the builds as you can and then decide which route is best for you.

I'd say it's probably the easiest conversation compared to vtec etc but still needs a bit of thought put into it, the lack of off the shelf frames is the biggest problem. I did think of producing a few a while back but the costs involved didn't make it worth while.

As for cg10 vs cg13 I say go cg13 I've had both and the 1.3 preformes better and the 1.3 box gives better gear ratios. People have mentioned the box being bigger but I had no problems making it fit

#674 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

As for cg10 vs cg13 I say go cg13 I've had both and the 1.3 preformes better and the 1.3 box gives better gear ratios. People have mentioned the box being bigger but I had no problems making it fit

agreed

#675 Roelandt

Roelandt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Thanks lucas 1amps and I_jonez for your advice. there are certainly lots of threads and different ways of doing the conversion. I think I will go for the cg13 engine/gearbox. I would still like to use 10" wheels and I'm not sure what the RPM will be at 100km/h in fifth, I personally think the Mini looks best with 10" wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users