#16 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:42 PM

I'm doing my own 'subframe' yeah.

But it will be tubular be welded to the shell, not mounted.. then welded to the roll cage inside. If you get me?

Kind of semi-space frame.

#17 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

May have a motor sorted out.

Friend of my dads has a 16xe from an R reg Astra. Not sure if it will be C16xe or X16xe.. Got a feeling its a C16xe. Which is good.

Had the head reconditioned along with new pistons etc not so long ago. Only problem is it got ran low on oil so will need a crank and bearings or at least crank grind and bearings.

But its free!

#18 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Thats the best price. I know Morspeed can do you a crank and shells if you need it?

#19 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

nice little project there.
1 question tho.
why do people get the 1.6 and eco-tec engines for there mini,is there a reason for this.ive owned 3 calibras a 8v c20ne--a eco and the famous redtop c20xe, and by far the c20xe engine is the best performing out of the 3.
we all know that the let engine wins hands down but there like a grand each.the 8v is bomb proof i will give it that but i would chose the redtop any day.

am i missing something.
sorry to hijack.(just learning)

#20 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:12 AM

Good questions.

From the research I have done I shall explain what I think, I may be wrong or right.

The 1600 vauxhalls do actually perform as well as the 2 litre.. but vauxhall restricted it massively, so the 2 litre didn't look to be underpowered.

I was originally going to use a 2 litre.. but Vauxhall ceased production of that motor a long time ago. Where as the 1600's are newer and are 'plentiful' with less milage etc. So seemed the more sencible option.

Ive got to agree though that the old 8v is a sound engine. Absolutely rock hard and go for miles and miles and miles and still drive mint!

Also, Im 18. I am on a traders policy, but a 1600 will be easier to insure than a 2 litre Im sure!

#21 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

The 1.6 also weighs a lot less than the 2.0 so although a little down on torque it keeps the handling very similar to the origional A series.

#22 blue redtop

blue redtop

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

i see.
there was a reason after all. :)

#23 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

Well today I am totally confused yet inspired.

Took a ride to DJM motorsport today. www.djm-motorsport.co.uk. <--- Have a look if you want to know what theyre about and what they do.

My dads been mates with the bloke who owns the place for many years so we thought we'd go and ask his advice about which way to go with the mini.

This bloke knows his stuff! He showed me around a few of the cars they've built and gave me some basic do's and dont's. But now Im in a situation.. he obviously had alot of race car influence on me.. but I initally wanted this to be an everyday comfort car... He also told me its very hard to have both. So where this will go now Im not sure.

He also reckoned 10" wheels was a restriction if I wanted to up the power of the car in the future, because the small tyres and limited brake size would make the car abit dangerous. 13" and the biggest brakes I can find is what he recommended (Willwood brakes Im thinking now)

One good thing though.. He has alot to do with Pete at Fabricage so is going to ring him to see what he offers rollcage wise for a mini. Plus he pays half what the normal cost of CDS tubing and cages.. and I can have whatever I want at cost to him!

So where do I go with it now?!

#24 blue redtop

blue redtop

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

order loads of cages and sell them on tmf.

#25 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

Err, no. Lol.

Thats just underhanded!

#26 Green_penguin

Green_penguin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Nice too see another young person building a vauxhall mini, My project is here http://forum.scottis...hread.php?t=964 . I have also gone for a 1.6 16v engine as im only 19, Ive gone for the easy option and just bought a subframe(just waiting for it to arrive then will have everything needed). Will be intresting to see your project progress. Hoping to have most of mine done over christmas/new year.

#27 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:07 PM

Nice project mate, Ill be keeping an eye on it.

Mine is going to be a bit more long term, cause I want to spread the cost over time.. it dont hurt so much that way.

Looks like you've had a fair bit of shell welding to do as well. Luckily mine doesn't need any, after 6 months of welding my last project, I didn't fancy it again.

#28 Rob Himself

Rob Himself

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Nice one mate!
What car was the engine out of? There are XE's and XEL's ... subtly different, but look identical.

I had one in my Astra ages ago... 99bhp standard, but very easy to tune - Vaux actually de-tuned them for a) reliability, b) more power and they'd be knocking on the doors of C20XE's!

Let me know if you need any help - I know these engines inside out :(

#29 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like a great project. Like the sound of the space frame cage type thing too....

#30 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

I just need to get christmas and a few things done and I can be making a proper start.

The motor should be coming out of a 1998 1600 16V Astra Estate.

Whats the difference between an XE and XEL then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users