#16 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

when i buy fuel for my works clio van i always pay buy cheque as i find it easier for my accounts and i have never found a garage that wont take a cheque

#17 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

when i buy fuel for my works clio van i always pay buy cheque as i find it easier for my accounts and i have never found a garage that wont take a cheque

but then you live in cornwall - which is a different country.

#18 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

i found more often than not as long as you have like a pound in your account it will accept your card and take a couple of days to come out.. Ive used that method before :withstupid:

It may take a couple of days to come out of your account, but the payment date will be recorded, and will send you overdrawn, and thus you'll incurr any associated charges..

No it wont! >_< If the money comes out a few days after, and you've got money in the bank, you wont get charged! I've been living like that for years... At least Halifax are good for it! :withstupid:

#19 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

Lloyds don't operate that way. It may take a couple of days to appear on your statement, but it gets taken off my balance immediately.

#20 Spenner

Spenner

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Local Club: Blakehill mini's

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Lloyds don't operate that way. It may take a couple of days to appear on your statement, but it gets taken off my balance immediately.

And mine im with Natwest

#21 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

Yes its taken away from The account immediatly but won't appear on the statement for a couple of days.

Cheques are slowly being phased out and you'll find that new debit cards being issued are no longer cheque garrentee (thats with lloyds). this is because Chip and Pin is now widely used and is the most preferred method other than cash. Alot of people don't like this idea but its a safer method of payment.

#22 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

<snip> Alot of people don't like this idea but its a safer method of payment.

I'm not saying anything... >_<

#23 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

<snip> Alot of people don't like this idea but its a safer method of payment.

I'm not saying anything... :withstupid:

Four of my friends and family members have had their cards cloned since the introduction of Chip & Pin.... I'm not convinced it's safe at all >_<

#24 greatgrowler

greatgrowler

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

My card was cloned about 2 weeks ago,when someone tried to make 3 payments to an online betting company within 10 mins of each other,totaling £980.Luckily my bank got in touch and blocked them all.By a million-to-one chance I actually DID have some money in the bank.Could have lost it all!

#25 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

My card was cloned about 2 weeks ago,when someone tried to make 3 payments to an online betting company within 10 mins of each other,totaling £980.Luckily my bank got in touch and blocked them all.By a million-to-one chance I actually DID have some money in the bank.Could have lost it all!

But you could have won so much!! Come on man, feel alive! :P

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:44 AM

I think the difference on clearance dates depends on whether your account is with a clearing bank (Lloyds, Nat West etc.) or one of the Building Society converts. You could always write a cheque for someone in exchange for cash.

Have banks changed their attitude towards chip 'n pin - they claimed it's infallible so if your card gets ripped off it's your fault and they wont stand the loss.

#27 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

In theory, I think chip and pin is safe :ermm:

Safer than signing was, because everything was handed to them on a plate! All they had to do was to learn the signature which is given to them on the back of the card!

But obviously not! :P

I know so many people who have had their cards cloned and have had loads of money taken out of their accounts! :(

I think the banking code states, though, that any money lost through fraud should be paid to you, by the bank, straight away. It's then the bank's responsibility to claim back any losses.

#28 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

Personally I think signatures are more open to localised fraud, where as chip and pin is more open to fraud on a wider and more massive scale.

#29 powermadcoop

powermadcoop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

god i never realised this would open such an ntellectual debate >_<

it does all depend on the clearin cycle ( i work at the bradford and bingley) and we have about a million different cycles depending on who the cheque is from!

on a lighter note the monies were only taken from my account today.....

good old moss and texaco for taking cheque!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users