#1 MINImiser

MINImiser

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local Club: Runnin' AMOC

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

I am looking for a new back box to replace my stock one, and wanted to know which one to choose. At the moment I am thinking about a centre exit s/s dtm. Also do they make any difference to the performance of my car?

Cheers,

Ed

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

side exit , big tail pipe RC40 thats the one :grin:

#3 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

even the backbox effects the pressure of the exhaust system so keep it inch and three quater to avoid losing performance.

Centre exit or side exit looks good. please god dont go for a DTM on a mini.

TML

#4 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:56 AM

I just bought a side exit stainless RC40!

#5 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

themanlegend is right once again...

2" exhaust systems make sense if your engine produces more then 90 horsepowers. everything below has a better gas flow with 1.75" which improves power while you would loose it with 2".
centre or side exit is a matter of personal taste. i prefer centre exit rc40...

#6 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:22 AM

1.75 inch is the optimum size for even a 1380... dont put a DTM on there, it'll look out of place and will most likely decrease engine performance

go for a nice side exit maniflow or minispares millenium RC40 if need be

#7 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

I went for a Maniflow stainless steel main pipe and single box side exit 1.75" with an outer rolled lip. It sounds fantastic but is not loud at all when just cruising... at 3-4 thousand it sounds great when your hammering up the rev range and then past 4 just rips the air apart. HEHE.

As a comparison a friend has a 1.75" system with a 2" backbox and inside the car it is extremely loud, all the time... unbearable in my opinion! Of course every exhaust is different but I think Maniflow stuff is top quality, looks and sounds good too.

The RC40 may give you a bhp more but if looks are important a SS rolled tip will look better. The only disadvantage with a 1.75 inch backbox I find is that when its dirty it looks like a standard system, so I clean it a ridiculous amount. time consuming :nugget:

Happy mini'ing

TML

#8 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:56 PM

If you can afford to change the standard mainpipe as it is very restrictive... you would need an adapter to go to a standard manifold... but then you could change that... hmmm... get a maniflow stage one kit for £280.... ok, getting carried away!

#9 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:00 PM

i'm with themanlegend on this one, i have a 1.75" rolled tip maniflow backbox, and its the puppies privates.. got a lovely deep burble to it on tickover, but isn't too loud, until you boot it, when peoples heads start turning to see what it is!!

Maniflow is top notch for quality aswel, just bought a LCB from them, soon to be fitted, along with a de-cat pipe :cheese:

Rich

#10 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:58 PM

I've got a 2inch on my turbo and a 1.75 on my 1380. the 1380 makes a better sound.

#11 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

Will DTM's really affect the performance that badly?

I was going to get a stage one kit for my Mini but pay the extra and have a centre exit DTM. I know everyones tastes are different but I like the DTM's and have always wanted a set on my Mini. If the effect the performance that bad, then I may reconsider.

You say about 1.75 pipes, does anyone know the size of DTMs? And also, if there are two I presume this would make it worse as the size would be double, or am I being a complete mong on that point?! :)

#12 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:11 PM

i've got a big fat DTM (please don't shout at me) wasn't really looking for performance, but it looks sweet (my opinion) and sounds awesome, need a good stereo system for motorway driving tho!
Mine is just the back box, it's all that i wanted and does the trick perfectly, looks nice in between my new sparco rally style mud flaps!
Have to agree with themanlegend how does it get so shiggy so quickly?! Out comes the metal polish again! lol

#13 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

@stacey:
exhausts are all about airflow. means its not just looking on the diameter of holes...

my minispeed rc40 also has a rolled tip even if its not stainless its at least chromed and looks quite nice too...
the main thing is it performs quite well and did cost me as a stage1 kit only something around 160 quid.

the maniflow would have been my second choice especially because the difference in performance is only marginal. its slightly louder but the price was too high in my opinion. and as i wanted to do some other things to my car as well spent the saved money on bits and pieces...

#14 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:21 PM

I went for a stainless system as I didnt want it to rust through... same with the mainpipe.. that way I dont ever need to replace them (unless my taste changes)

Exhaust 'blackness' is a pain but I normally just clean the tip with a dab of petrol everytime I fill up :grin: comes off with no oeffort and if you wear the gloves most garages provide, no smell on your hands either.

TML

#15 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:02 PM

tml...
it's wrong to believe stainless systems wouldn't rot away... the internal stuff in your backbox is everything else then stainless... means you can't even see, when it's time to replace the system...
but it's okay for the centre pipe (as long as you have a single box system).

to be honest i don't mind changing my system every second year. it's cheap in mild steel and a new system will perform better then an old one... (i now they need some kind of 'running in' for a couple of days to imrove gas flow, but after that i mean...)

but i like the tip cleaning idea... :grin: gonna try this next time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users