• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:43 AM

i also do agree...

remains the question WHAT is best??? :cheese:

as long as you have no show car both systems (stainless or mild steel) perform equal but the stainless one is far more expensive... therefor better? nonsense...

another thing for taking the decision is what sound you like. for my personal taste the stainless note is a little bit to "tinny"... but i don't want to open a discussion about taste at that point...

fact is that you have to think exactly what you'd like to use your exhaust for...
looks? stainless!
performance? mild steel (better value for money, because cheaper at same performance delivery)!
well... and the exhaust note as mentioned above (personal gusto)... :grin:

#32 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:45 AM

i also do agree...

remains the question WHAT is best??? :cheese:

as long as you have no show car both systems (stainless or mild steel) perform equal but the stainless one is far more expensive... therefor better? nonsense...

another thing for taking the decision is what sound you like. for my personal taste the stainless note is a little bit to "tinny"... but i don't want to open a discussion about taste at that point...

fact is that you have to think exactly what you'd like to use your exhaust for...
looks? stainless!
performance? mild steel (better value for money, because cheaper at same performance delivery)!
well... and the exhaust note as mentioned above (personal gusto)... :grin:

stainless steel should last longer than mild steel which is the whole point

#33 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:49 AM

right...
they SHOULD last longer...
but they just don't last long enough to justify the prices.
it's a fairy tale that stainless steel exhausts don't rust. especially in short distance running like we almost all have it living in towns and cities...

i just don't want people to think stainless steel would solve their exhaust problem for the rest of their cars lives.
that's just wrong...

#34 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

Its not that people necessarily want their exhausts to look good, they just dont want the tailpipe to be rusty and look *******.

Mini's ARE the one things that are about asethetics... people buy shiny things, wheels, exhuasts to make their baby's look nice. 'I know its rusty but it was a bargain' doesnt really work for most people on here.

You can pick up stainless steel backboxes at shows for 60 quid... its not alot of money. I think they are alot better value for money, especially something like a playmini with a 20 year guarentee..

ok so 90 quid for a backbox that lasts 20 years = £4.50 a year

40 for a mild steel that lasts 2 = £20 a year or 13.30 if it lasts 3 years

Its like buying a cheap printer and paying for the dearest inks, i.e. cheap to start with but expensive in the long run. plus the hassle of buying and changing the exhausts every 2 or 3 years at best.

Tinny? thats funny. I dont hear that noise. Sounds like you bought a mild steel one and your trying hard not to regret it. :tongue:

This deserves a pole!

#35 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

Only if we have a dancer for that pole...

Sorry, I can't seem to stop myself these days!! Blame TC!!

#36 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:10 PM

regarding the poll - funny one...
put on one similar in the german forum this morning... :lol:

what i would recommend is easy.
buy a s/s linkpipe and a m/s backbox... the backbox has to be changed after at least five years anyway because you either have burnt everything away on the inside or it's just everything rusted away in there due to condensation (m/s as s/s)... that's fact also if someone gives 20 year warranty on their product (do they also guarantee no lack of performance after 20 years?)...

tml... trust me i have nothing to regret as i always inform myself very well before i spend money on anything, not because i have the necessity to do so, it's just waste of money NOT to do so.... the calculation you gave is rubbish as a s/s exhaust is not lasting that long (especially if you look at performance figures and the inside of your backbox...) and take a look at the welding after a couple of years...

trust me also on the following: non rusting steel for backboxes does simply not exist (not to reasonable prices). i have spoken to an engineer who is dealing with all this material research stuff BEFORE i took the decision to buy the m/s exhaust... believe me or not... there is a reason why i bought m/s... :w00t: :tongue:

#37 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:29 PM

why do playmini give a 20 year warranty? How can they?

#38 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

I've had 2 single box RC40 exhausts on my mini the first mild steel one lasted 3 years the second s/steel one 8 years and is still ok

#39 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

sorry folks...

it seems people over here just don't realise how things are working. sure s/s systems may look fine after 5, 8, 15 or 20 years on the outside... i know people that drive around with 34 year old exhaust systems.

playmini can give 20 years warrantee because a) sounds good to do so and B) how will you prove that the inside is gone? by cutting it into two pieces thereby deleting your warranty... got the thing? :cheese:

i am not interested in turning anyone to a m/s disciple but i'm just impressed by the amount of people that simply believe without any doubt in what clever marketing people tell you...

has anyone of the long-time-with-the-same-exhaust-drivers (m/s as s/s) noticed that these things become louder and louder the more miles you do with them? why?

everything mounted to a car wears with time... not so with s/s exhausts one may belive reading all this... do you really believe this?
you all (or most of you) spend lots of money, time, research and effort to get the last 1/4 hp out of your engines but the only argument you give for s/s is "it doesn't rust"...?

i'm using m mini as an everyday car therefore my exhaust lacks performance earlier and it's just not worth even thinking of mounting a s/s backbox each and every year below it...

#40 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

Ive had the mini 15 years and not notest the exhaust geting louder and rolling road reading stay about the same :lol:

#41 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:35 PM

From Playmini:

silencers have the innner tube bound with stainless steel wire wool then packed with computer controlled exact weights of acoustic wadding and come with a lifetime gaurentee.

#42 shifty438

shifty438

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:41 PM

miy cars got a play mini side exit, looks sweet, sound phat, doesnt seam to effect performance to much

Attached Files

#43 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:51 AM

mine has a stainless RC40 an hasnt rusted at all yet, it has been onm the car for the past 3 years

Edited by Flappyplasticbits, 10 April 2005 - 10:51 AM.

#44 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

what size is that flappy?

#45 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor