#46 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:54 AM

i thought it looked a bit large, they look so nice though!

Id Say that s/s looks and sounds better than mild steel, but peformance wise is there any damned diffrence?

#47 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:04 PM

in the power direction no! they are constructed in the same way! The M/S ones usually have a stainless tip on them now, so asthetically they look the same. The only performance gain is the lifetime of the the box

#48 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:36 PM

How loud are the 1.75" RC40 Stainless on the motorway? Dont want to get one if its going to be to loud to cope with on the motorway.

#49 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

a twin box the same as a standard exhaust , the single box a little louder

#50 austin68

austin68

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

Didnt mean to start an argument over m/s and s/s, but my budget m/s (bought by prev owner) rc40 sounds great on B roads, but i start work with a headache on the A2/A299.

My main gripe is from the back box my tail pipe looks bl**dy awful, and although most people are'nt behind me that long i'd like to leave a good impression.

Pete. :nugget:

#51 MINImiser

MINImiser

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local Club: Runnin' AMOC

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

I have a standard 1275cc, havent modded the manifold, and am getting a s/s 1.75" RC40 back box and a link pipe from the cat back. Has anyone else got this set up, if so is it nice and loud? Whats it like on motorways?

Cheers

ED

#52 psycho mini driver

psycho mini driver

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

i think get a mild steel. stainless price was not justifiable for me! i mean i have a stainless tip on my mild 1.75 rc40, so it looks good, i am more than impressed with how it sounds, its as loud, but a nicer note than my twin dtm, and i figured that in a year or 2, i will want a quieter or louder or different shape or even different exit exhaust anyway. i like buying new bits and constantly making small changes, and the exhaust is one of my fave parts. so buy a cheep one that does same job, sounds and looks good, but wont last till your 60, that way if and when you want to change it, you wont think 'god, but it cost 100 od quid'

#53 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Well I fitted a stainless RC40 backbox (from cat back) at the weekend, it sounds and looks a lot better than the standard. Also on motorway etc can hardly hear it really (as in not a great deal louder than the standard two box system). If you want to hear it, open up the windows on a sunny day :- WIll probably sound a lot louder with an lcb and removal of the cat (need some money first)

#54 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:27 PM

i agree on the sound. a single box rc40 is a fair bit louder than standard, but sounds amazing! from the inside, you cant notice much difference in sound, unless you wind the windows down and drive down a narrow street. i did a 5 hour trip on the motorway without a headache.

#55 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:18 PM

yep... agree...
single box on a narrow street at 2000rpm is a very nice low frequenzy tone... just today was driving in a multistorey car park and engaged 2 car alarms just by passing by... :grin:

#56 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:15 PM

i got a sensitive car alarm once. v funny. what do people think of centre exit exhausts. arent they lower so catch on speed bumps etc more?

#57 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

yep single box RC40 :grin:

#58 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:44 PM

Hi boys. Whats wrong with DTM exhausts? Ive got an RC40 DTM on mine and it sound sweet. Its got two cores running through it(not yust a Y piece welded on the end) so it gives it the deepest growl ive heard on a mini. It also helps on speed humps as it flicks up at the end and doesnt catch the tips. :P

#59 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:34 PM

oldskoolboy...
my centre exit rc40 flicks up at the end, too...

why i dislike dtm? first it's a matter of personal taste. i just don't like the look. there's an obvious technical difference. as everything on exhausts is about gasflow it seems logical that a straight through pipe (through the backbox) doesn't hinder flow as the one-tube-in, two-tubes-out solution... (is it clear what i mean??) thus reducing performance gain...

leonard...
when i looked under some minis i never had the impression that the centre exhausts were sitting lower... any other impressions from other people?

#60 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

I agree with the science but when I changed from a 13/4'' Maniflow to my DTM I found that I did actually have a gain. Besides the argument of splitting in to two is restrictive or flows worse is rubbish. Dont quote me on the make but a few top running mini miglas are running a two silencer systems(Bill Sollis for example). And these boys have some of the most finely tuned engines going where every HP counts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users