#1 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hi all

I decided to join you all after years of looking and whishing when i was a student. I am no longer a Tax doger and have a real job and live in the real world now :gimme: So after a trip to z cars i caught the infection and was easily sold!!! :gimme: There have been some really good projects on here i just hope i can live up to them and the standrads set.

So far...

I have decided on colour and appearance:

Ford focus ST orange
Curley carbon roof skin showiing weave
Curley miglia arches showing weave extra wide (necessary do you think?)or just normal???
High gloss powder coat finish for kit
All relevant parts anodised Blue

Stage i am at:
Its still very early days for me but....
I sent my shell off to be shot blasted on tuesday and should be back tomorrow possibly next week. When it comes back it should be finished in etching primer. Then i will be attacking it with the angle grinder and cutting out all of the necessary parts.

ARE THE MEASUREMENTS IN THE DVD CORRECT?

will post some pics of the shell once it comes back. I have to wire up a suitable cable and fuse in the workshop before then to allow my 280 amp welder to work with out tripping the power all the time :dontgetit:

Phil >_<

Edited by philly c, 06 March 2008 - 11:34 AM.

#2 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hi Phil,
Like the idea of that colour scheme and carbon roof etc. Are you keeping that Zeemax kit on your car? Hope not haha... extra drag IMO

Ive got my 07 R1 Kit on order now, so ill b close behind you! Good times!

I think if you have bought a kit now the measurments are the same as the DVD. I know they were in the process of redesigning the space frame a bit but I cant get a clear answer form anyone right now. Best call up and hassel like i will.

Hope build goes smoothly for you! Time will tell... Whens your aim to have it finished? Or is it gonna take as long as it takes?

#3 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hey Brandon

I aint too sure.... i am gonna roughly say about a year. The red mini has just been finished my z cars is now going to be the second mini am building. I dont no if its a dirty word but i also have a new mini cooper s as well just to add to the collection. Went round the top gear test track with it today was a bit slippy even managed to spin it :thumbsup:.

I am hoping to go collect the kit tomorrow!Cant wait! Will have to see who manages to finish theres first ha ha!

here is are two pics of the minsi i currently own.......

Almost complete 998 with track day set up all round.
Posted Image

and my new cooper s ...
Posted Image

#4 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

just a few pics of the frame the shell should be back from the shot blasters tomorrow. :cry:

Posted Image

#5 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Here are a few pics of the shell!Its a 1979 shell so she has had a bit of rust but i replaced alot of the pannels before shot blasting. However i have a few more holes but not as bad as i first thought! :huh: nothitng a bit of weld and filler cant crack :)

Posted Image

As you can see there is a big hole in the bulk head where the webber box has been. I dont no if i should weld this up or create a feature of it with a polished peice of aluminium??ANY THOUGHT GUYS?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next job is to mark out and prep for the cutting out!

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by philly c, 14 March 2008 - 08:33 PM.

#6 tid_171

tid_171

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

thought it wouldnt be long before i seen the next project up on here! by the way its you beloved cousin Tommt T!!!! cant wait till you finidh it...will look great! >_<

#7 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

Waheyyyyy!!!!

Tommy T didnt realise you wre on here >_< Cant wait tid should be a monster when its finished this weekend will see the start if it :ohno: some sexy carbon fibre is on its way next week as well a whole carbon fibre roof skin and arches!

Next update on its way soon!

#8 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hey all

well thought it was about time i posted some more updates of the weekends work!

Managed to get the back end cut out no problems at all but found a little bit of trapped rust from the door pockets so i think i am going to have to weld some fresh plate in with lots of red oxide and possible underseal????not sure whats best to use in the likes of the box section?

I think i might have the re build the box section whcih used to previously house the rear subframe mounts as this was quite rusty too.....how i love the rusty breeding spots :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

more updates on the way :D

NEXT TASK:

get the electrician to wire in a supply which can cope with the welder ,280 amp monster and then weld in a new boot rear and off side sill. The rear isnt really sound enought to fix the valance to as you can see from the pics..

Phil

#9 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

P.S ROOF AND ARCHES ARRIVED WILL POST SOME PICS ASAP!

#10 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Its been a while scince i last had a chance to post so just a quick update....

1. bROKE CAMERA SO LACK OF PICS BUT WILL GET THAT SORTED OUT

2. Shell is all cut out except arches. Decided to see where the miglias sit and then cut out as much as possible to prevent any rubbing.

3. welded in mk1 light conversion plates.

4. Welded in new pannel where boot hinges go as well as two seperate pannels under each rear light thanks to mini machine who make do one off pannels saved spending a small fortune on a single peice.

5. ready top weld all the boxed area where the old rear sub frame used to bolt into some bad rust here

thinking of keepint the old filler cap hole instead of filling it in.

6. Got mu welder and got a sparky to woire it all up hence fair bit of progress of late

Cheers

Phil

#11 tid_171

tid_171

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

Edited by tid_171, 04 August 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#12 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:42 AM

Hi all i know its been a while but work has been cracking on!!!

Unfortunatelly i still dont have a camera but that will be sorted by the end of the week so i can post some updates of the progress. I ventured over to preston at the weekend and managed to get some aluminium mini doors with race glass and the guy managed to make me some sliders within the winows as well, they look great!Pics to be posted as well as all of the carbon bits which should hopefully look great with the orange ST paint job!

All of the wleding is complete including

1.new r/h sill

2.mk1 light conversion

3.re build of the rear box area whihch the old sub frame mounted inot this was bad!!

4.rear boot rail and two repair pannels for the areas under the lights thanks to mini machine who make quite a few one

off pannels which is great as it works out much cheaper than buying a large rear section when it is not always needed.

Pics on the way!!!

Phil

Edited by philly c, 03 July 2008 - 06:44 AM.

#13 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hey peeps here are a few pics or current progress and purchases.

The cage is currently at z cars getting powder coated. Decided to go for a black metal flake finish which should go nice with the orange finish. I am thinking the deep dish 13x 7 rims with a gray center to flow with the carbon fibre finish as apposeto the black center????

Posted Image

Repair work carried out in the rear. Rusting was really bad so i compleatly rebuilt this box area

Posted Image

Posted Image

The doors are aluminium from the mini door company with purspex windows for the fat fighting mission i seem to have gotten into!!fibre glass bonnet and boot are on the way and i already have the carbon roof dash and arches!

One of the seats from z cars ....again carbon! Going to try and get my name stiched into the seat if i can find a local firm to do it.

Posted Image

will crack some more pics up soon!Cant wait to get the cage back in the metal flake!!Has anyone any pics of the areas where the race kit requires the tunnel to be cut i was just wanting to no what peeps have done in relation to welding in a new section to seal the shell back up and how or if it affects where you have ran the pipe lines etc???

Phil

Edited by philly c, 04 August 2008 - 05:27 PM.

#14 tid_171

tid_171

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

think someone beat you to the st orange idea!

http://www.theminifo...x...93889&st=30

#15 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Youu can tell me things like this now tid!!!!lol well doesnt look like its a z car and they havent got a carbon fibre roof soo kinda doesnt make me too sad... engine has arrived today so just need to get it down to chris at z cars now whooooooole lotta body fillering to do though!

On order is a wilwood pedal box
heated front screen
and perspex rear screen and side windows

pics and up dates will be on again shortly of the filling and how its all looking.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users