#61 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

I just read the whole of this tread and i have to make one comment

' A responsible and courteous lorry driver would realise that he can only do a certain speed and after building up a sufficient tail back would pull into a layby for a minute or so to allow the traffic to pass and then move off again. Would cost the lorry driver a couple of minutes but think of the time it would save the other 30-40 drivers behind him collectively.

Where a) safe, b) possible (ie: there is actually a lay-by, or place to stop) and c) time permits.

Well obviously for the first two but 'c) time permits' no thats not a case really as tesco obviousy dont care about how long the journey takes as they have started reducing the maximum speeds on all their lorries. If they wanted there deliverys doing to a time scale then surly this was the wrong way to go about it.

Cant have your cake and eat it tesco

#62 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

people are just digging now at me for this thread.

Can of worms, mate. Don't worry about it. I sensed you beginning to stagger halfway through but you stood your corner pretty well, I thought.

#63 Rob Himself

Rob Himself

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

no where did I ever say I think all lorry's should be banned.

no where did I say they dont drive well.

All I said in my first post...
was... TESCO lorry's should be banned... hence the Title of this thread.

I'm not even going to begin my retort...

:- :thumbsup: :wub: time?

#64 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

As an artic driver for 40 years I feel that I am qualified to comment.

I agree that it is frustrating following a lorry at 40mph, I used to run at just over the 45mph to help speed things up a bit. That is until I got flashed by one of these weight recognition cameras and got a sixty pound fine and an endorsement (third one) for doing 46mph on a wide A road out in the countryside with a queue of frustrated motorists behind me.

I agree that some truck drivers especially supermarket drivers can be bloody minded about speed limits, but its the law and if cameras are not going to give and take as the old coppers used to do then I'm afraid truckers must adhere to the rules or pay the fines and be out of work.

I've had enough and hung up my keys for the last time, I have three endorsements for trivial offences via safety cameras and cannot risk doing the job any more.

You should be thankful that they know their high way code. Lorry drivers, mainly good sensible drivers.
Foreign lorry drivers no concept of roundabouts/giving way to the right Posted Image

The rules on roundabouts as far as a trucker is concerned are, give way to traffic already on the roundabout, traffic aproaching the roundabout at speed does not have right of way so beware.

#65 RetroRacer21

RetroRacer21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

no where did I ever say I think all lorry's should be banned.

no where did I say they dont drive well.

All I said in my first post...
was... TESCO lorry's should be banned... hence the Title of this thread.

I'm not even going to begin my retort...

:- :thumbsup: :wub: time?

please englighten me what retort means?

your managed to correct my cue... :thumbsup:

people obviosly didnt read the funny side,
nor did they read... The Tesco side...

dont you how... Tesco's are taking over everything... now the roads too?

I guess... people dont think outside the box these days.

I should say when the Topics closed... not anyone else.
topic still is open to discussion, unless it turns to flames.

then a admin/mod will close if needed.

And thanks Teapot for the nice comment :thumbsup:

#66 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

You should be thankful that they know their high way code. Lorry drivers, mainly good sensible drivers.
Foreign lorry drivers no concept of roundabouts/giving way to the right Posted Image

The rules on roundabouts as far as a trucker is concerned are, give way to traffic already on the roundabout, traffic aproaching the roundabout at speed does not have right of way so beware.

Im sorry did i miss the day that they brought out a sperate set of highway code rules for lorry drivers concerning round abouts???

#67 Matt_20

Matt_20

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Local Club: I want to join Kentish soon!

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

Im sorry did i miss the day that they brought out a sperate set of highway code rules for lorry drivers concerning round abouts???

Rule 187 of the Highway code states:

"In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to...long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals"

So its not a separate Higway code, its just in the normal one!

Also, Its better to arrive late than never! Leave earleir for work and when going home, unless you have a dealine then there's no need to worry about being behind a lorry, traffic is what occurs on roads, if you do have a deadline, move it!

Edited by Matt_20, 29 March 2008 - 04:27 PM.

#68 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

Rule 187 of the Highway code states:

"In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to...long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals"

So its not a separate Higway code, its just in the normal one!

Yeah thats for drivers behind or along side it still doesnt mean they can ignore the give way to right rule!!

#69 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Can we do cyclists or motorbikes next :-

you just need to have better appreciation for other road users...

HGV's do own the roads, they have a better reason for being on them than most other users, they need more space than other road users and if you want to compete with a 40 ton truck for space on the tarmac, good luck!

Getting a truck up to speed uses loads of fuel so don't expect them to be pulling over too often to let a queue of impatient car drivers by unless you can figure out how to pay the diesel bill for them. The same goes for trucks overtaking - if you can only do 55mph you don't get many opportunities to overtake a fellow trucker who can only do 50mph, but the extra 5mph over hours of driving could make the difference between making your drop on time or having to park up because you've run out of driving hours. Tough luck if that means you don't get home in time for neighbours, I think the trucker has a better reason.

You learn 2 basics in lgv driver training; never stop if you can help it & hog the road because few car drivers have any appreciation of how much room they need to give you in order not to get themselves driven over.

Besides, most queues behind trucks are caused by car drivers who haven't got the skill or confidence to overtake and don't leave a gap for those who have.

#70 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Oh yes lets do cyclists next

***goes off to hit the new topic button***

Lol only kidding :-

#71 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

you know what, i used to look on minifinty a while ago until every other thread turned into a personal hate campaign for want of another word,when i found tmf i thought what a friendly,helpful and good natured bunch of people we all were on here,what gets to me is when individuals on both sides of a given topic are ridiculed by a use of witty court room banter and sarcastic rants,especially pops about individuals i.t skills ( or lack of ) and/or spelling errors,at the end of the day individuals are entitled to their own personal point of view-on both sides of the argument,lets not turn this to a personal level.in a crux lets all play nicely and keep up the good work that we are all contributing towards here on tmf,thanks for reading!end rant

#72 A KIRK

A KIRK

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Local Club: None now I don't own a mini

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

This is the best thread on the site,I hope no one is taking any comments personally, as that would be silly.

I do like the idea of starting one about cyclists, white van man, taxi's, refuge collectors, busses and most of all poxy women drivers

#73 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Who said politicions?

Come on own up!!

#74 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:13 PM

yes it is entertaining,reading through the thread i just think certain individuals took certain comments personally,when they shouldnt.i agree with the cyclist issue lol!

#75 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

This is the best thread on the site,I hope no one is taking any comments personally, as that would be silly.

I do like the idea of starting one about cyclists, white van man, taxi's, refuge collectors, busses and most of all poxy women drivers

OK, if we can include Sunday drivers who also drive Mon-Sat, and small cars driven by old men wearing hats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users