118 replies to this topic

#76 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

In the swift the engine sits at around 15* forwards but in order clear the bulkhead and the front of the wing it needs to be at about 5* instead and I did indeed use the Landy bobbin style mounts.

A few of the swift conversions have been done with most of the inner wings still intact. Thinking about it now, mine would still fit within the inner wings but I had cut them off for my flip front.

The driveshafts havent been made yet but from what I can tell its quite easy. You line up the hubs so that they're level with the inner cvs on the box, then measure the distance between the two (from right inside obviously) and I think you minus about 5mm from that distance(will double check when I get round to it).

Ill try and answer any other questions if I know the answers to them :lol:

King

#77 Steve Rowe

Steve Rowe

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

In the swift the engine sits at around 15* forwards but in order clear the bulkhead and the front of the wing it needs to be at about 5* instead and I did indeed use the Landy bobbin style mounts.

A few of the swift conversions have been done with most of the inner wings still intact. Thinking about it now, mine would still fit within the inner wings but I had cut them off for my flip front.

The driveshafts havent been made yet but from what I can tell its quite easy. You line up the hubs so that they're level with the inner cvs on the box, then measure the distance between the two (from right inside obviously) and I think you minus about 5mm from that distance(will double check when I get round to it).

Ill try and answer any other questions if I know the answers to them :dozing:

King

Cheers very much mate , all taking in :D

#78 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Right, its been a while and Ive actually done some work but it hasnt really been post worthy. Anywho Ive got some pics of some exciting-ish bits.

The original gear lever plate had been welded into the old mini position but my Ka dash comes forward quite abit and therefore needed moving back, so I stole an idea I saw from 16vminiclub.
Posted Image
Its a length of steel tube with a rose joint welded into it and the gear change pivot onto the end. Still need to make a gearbox stabilizer though.

Got my seats mounted, here they're just tacked but are now fully welded.
Two mounts on the cross member.
Posted Image
And two on the seat mounting bar I made.
Posted Image

My proposed dash with mocked digi-dash and a fuel guage which I didnt realise didnt come with my model dash
Posted Image

Also a little blanking plate I made that I decided to run fuel lines through and also the battery cable
Posted Image

Enjoy

#79 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Nice work mate, dont suppose you'd be able to get more pics of the gear lever set-up ?

#80 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

Not mine but heres a few pics from the guy who came up with the idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#81 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

Cheers!

#82 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

Wow i wish i had more time to have a look at this today, ill have to pop over again some time.

Looks like your making really good progress mate, wont be long now :)

#83 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

No problem mate, your always welcome to have a look. Been busting a gut on it recently, need it on the road as soon as possible.

#84 daveeeeee

daveeeeee

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Been busting a gut on it recently

pics! :)

#85 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

No problem mate, your always welcome to have a look. Been busting a gut on it recently, need it on the road as soon as possible.

Been busting a gut, you can say that again, it looked near enough ready to run!!!

Fair play to you mate, didnt see you had made a KA dash aswell, looks good mate. If you need a hand with anything give me a shout and ill be happy to pop over and give you a hand.

#86 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

Right, you asked for pictures:

Posted Image
Gear shift done with gear box stabilizer which isnt shown.

Posted Image
Coil and engine bay fuse box mounted, fuse box needs abit more. Engine bay wiring is also done, just needs tidying. Me and a friend fired it up last monday to test it all and it works. Its bloomin loud though as I havent made an exhaust yet.

Posted Image
Got a fan from a metro, fitted wiper motor etc and the windscreen without cracking it. Yay.

Posted Image
Made a numberplate box because the subframe protrudes abit and didnt realise before. I think its quite sublte and does the job nicely. Still needs finishing but the idea is there.
Also the tape is there just to hold the headlights on because Ive lost the screws. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Interior release for the back of my bonnet and also for the boot.

Posted Image
Clutch cable mounted and working.

Posted Image
Fuel filter ready for plumbing in.

Posted Image
Decided against the land rover lights I previously planned on using, so I got the on ebay for £30 but the top left lens and bottom right lens (or vice versa) is cracked.

Posted Image
Tonight I started on extending my bonnet the same way I extended my front. Its all glassed up now and Ive already applied the filler ready for sanding tomorrow.

There, hows that for an update?

#87 RWDwanted

RWDwanted

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

Rubbish update mate, doesnt look like you done anything since I last saw it what you been doing

just joking

Looking good man it gonna be close who will finish first!!

#88 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Yea best get your arse in gear Andy! To be honest you'll will no doubt finish yours first but the "race" spurs me to get out there and work on it.

#89 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:16 AM

Looking good mate, i so want to do this conversion :thumbsup:

#90 Atchi

Atchi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Local Club: Durham Mini owners club

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

It looks like you will be finishing before me, too.
I was looking at your clutch cable with pedal box.
Could you not fitted the other way?

Also, why are you extending your bonnet as well as wings?

You know by tilt engine to 0-5 degrees, you can fit within std front end.

Are you running std injection setup?
Good luck with your build!

Cheers
Atchi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users