#1 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Completed Project Pictures on Pages 29 & 30 http://www.theminifo...c/page__st__420

First Dyno graph on page 20 http://www.theminifo...c/page__st__285

Quest for more power begins on page 48 http://www.theminifo...c/page__st__705 Dyno results on page 54http://www.theminifo...c/page__st__795

Complete Build without replies can be found here:

http://www.diyauto.c...spec-by-cptkirk

As most people who start down the route of building or even part building a Zcars mini conversion, you initially ask Chris a few questions, then you go up to Gallows Farm for a tour and a taster in the demo car, were (I think most who have had a demo from Chris will agree) Chris erases any doubt in your head as to whether or not you should buy one of their kits. The fantastic noise, the unbelievable grip, the awesome stopping power of the demo car coupled with Chris's driving skill makes for one of the most exhilirating demo's I've ever had. Oh and dont forget Chris's no bullsh*t sales patter, he's got that down to an art form.

So I was well and truly sold, I simply had to have a Zcars mini. Looking around at the other cars and asking questions of the guys about the cost of building one of the beasts I got an idea of how much I wanted to spend. Then I went home, thought about it, thought about it some more, started to do a few sums and then took the plunge and got Richard to send me a quote.

Upon recieving the quote it dawned on me (some of you who have built one of these are probably gonna laugh in agreement at this statement) that my budget was about double if I was going to get all the things I wanted in the car. When I tell people that I could easily have bought a new Evo X or a very nice second hand Porsche for the money I am spending some scof and think I have lost my marbles, others understand that this is a one off and no-one in the world will have exactly the same car as I will have when I finish this journey, of which I am only halfway along.

So I bought a second hand shell from Chris, which was pretty much sound:

CameraDownlaod23-Apr-2008040.jpg

I then decided after driving an Accord Type R for a few years that the VTEC K20A2 from the Civic Type R was going to be the engine of choice, but being a bloke I thought it would be a good idea to get a few extra ponies out of the little 2litre engine so I ordered a Jackson Racing supercharger kit. The kit is for an RSX, American car. I got a couple of snaps of it before I took it to Zcars:

JRSupercharger007.jpg

JRSupercharger021.jpg

Then the guys strapped it the engine:

k20withJRSC002.jpg

To be able to cope with the extra HP and Torque I opted for an Exedy Single Carbon Hyper Clutch and Flywheel (Part # - HH03SBMC), these things can take a max torque load of 254ft/lb which will give me around 50ft/lb to play with later down the line. I have to say it is quite a sext thing:

CameraDownlaod23-Apr-2008002.jpg

CameraDownlaod23-Apr-2008004.jpg

CameraDownlaod23-Apr-2008005.jpg

I took along time deciding which seats I was going to use, however one thing that really swung it for me (and I know this is fairly shallow of me) was the name of the manufacturer of the seats - Kirkey. How could I not have seats from a namesake? however it wasnt that easy as the Kirkey seats I had seen in some of the minis just did not look comfortable, that whole wrap around the ribs thing wasnt floating my boat. So after many hours on the kirkey website I decided on the Intermediate Road Race seats, they appeared to be the best comprimise between cost and comfort, plus having a larger frame than most I could order them in hip width. So here they are during the seat fitting, ignore the date on the photo + you can see more in later photo's:

100_5290.jpg

Wheels - again a long time deciding but in the end I opted for Image 3 peice Billet 60P, always a sucker for gimmick I thought the idea if drawing air from under the car to aid the cooling of brakes to be a good one especially when telling your mates over a few beers. I went for 7" on the front and 8" on the back. Again ignore the date on the photo.

100_5500.jpg

They are now wrapped in Toyo R888 tires, 185 front and 205 rear.

Arches were going to be a problem with the width of the rear wheels but Zcars came to rescue with the help of THE STIG, top fibreglasser. I would like to thank Chris and THE STIG for their help with getting these together for me. These are a few pictures of the car pre-spray with the new arches:

100_5723.jpg

100_5724.jpg

More on next post

Edited by cptkirk, 11 August 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#2 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

As the months went by things slowed as the guys at Zcars were super busy but then we arranged for me to pick the car up in October. I hadnt actually seen it in the flesh with the arches on before it went for spraying so I was a bit nervous as to what it would look like when it was all in fresh paint. I need not have worried as the result was pretty awesome IMO.........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Specs and extras to follow when I get a bit more time and photographs.

#3 JOEMACCA51

JOEMACCA51

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

Wow looks great!

#4 james105

james105

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Awsome!! Thats guna be a beast!! Have you got a date you want to get it done by?

#5 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

man thats going to whine

#6 Minimade

Minimade

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Awesome, simply awesome. :D

#7 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Looks good Andy! But you know that already.

#8 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Have they sneaked a few extra inches on the wheelbase?

Cheers
David

#9 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

The car has had to take a quick trip up to Gallows farm for a couple of bits so will get it back mid November.

I dont have a completion date yet but once I get it back in the garage I will be working flat out to have it ready for early next year, get the most out of it in the 50th year of the best little car in the world.

Wheelbase, no the wheelbase is the same, the rear track is slightly wider due to me having 10mm spacers on the wheels, that way I have room to put 9" wheels on with 220-235 tires, however there arent too many companies that make tires that wide for 13" wheels, Kumho is one of the few I have found.

I am looking forward to that whine, its gonna sound great.......

#10 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

wow thats one serious weapon, defo got some girth to her

#11 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Look sweet !! I put a fidanza fly wheel and helix clutch in my bmw cooper s and it looks very similar in spec to the exceedy you wont be disapointed not in that little monster!!ENJOY car looks very very nicely done!!

Phil

#12 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

Looking very nice indeed...

What brake and clutch pedal setup do you have in there? Is it original or a component of the Z cars kit?

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by SukiDawg, 06 November 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#13 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Looking very nice indeed...

What brake and clutch pedal setup do you have in there? Is it original or a component of the Z cars kit?

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave

It's a Wilwood setup, purchased from Zcars. No servo assit but you do have a balance bar on it rather than an in-line type bias adjuster.

Andy

#14 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

Ahhh thanks... Got to be worth having adjustable balance.

Dave.

#15 irishdude

irishdude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:34 AM

Ahhh thanks... Got to be worth having adjustable balance.

Dave.

Looking great.. This car is going to awesome.. Don't keep us in suspense we need more pics and vids ASAP :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users