Evening folks; it's been a while since I last posted an update, mainly as I've been under a car all the time! Anyway here's the progress with Hamish of late.
So I found a small hole in the driver's side wheelarch and thought I'd cut out the rust and just weld in a patch. Doesn't this sound familiar? Why didn't I know better?!
So here's the rust cut out of the wheelarch ...
ds-front-wheelarch_rust-removed by Sabre75, on Flickr
... along with the bottom 4 inches of the A-panel in front of the door! - it turned out someone had had a go at repairing this area before, and the only way I was going to trust it was by by replacing the rust & filler with metal.
So as before I made up the repair panels ...
ds-wheelarch_repair-panels by Sabre75, on Flickr
... fitted them into place ...
ds-front-wing_panel-clamped by Sabre75, on Flickr
... and welded them in.
ds-front-wheelarch_inside-welded by Sabre75, on Flickr
ds-front-wing_panel-welded-and-ground by Sabre75, on Flickr
I put a coat of Rednox over the repairs ...
ds-front-wheelarch_inside-rednoxed by Sabre75, on Flickr
ds-front-wing-repair_rednoxed by Sabre75, on Flickr
... and then skimmed the panel with filler to level it.
ds-front-wing-repair_sanded by Sabre75, on Flickr
I thought the line wasn't too bad.
ds-wing-repair_sanded-and-aligned by Sabre75, on Flickr
I also seam-welded inside the door shut ...
ds-door-shut_seam-weld-and-rednox by Sabre75, on Flickr
... and then seam sealed the join.
ds-door-shut_seam-sealed by Sabre75, on Flickr
Next was a coat of high-build primer ...
ds-front-wing-repair_high-build-primed by Sabre75, on Flickr
... followed by grey ...
ds-front-wing-repair_grey-primed by Sabre75, on Flickr
... and then top coat and lacquer.
ds-front-wing-repair_paint-and-lacquer by Sabre75, on Flickr
(apologies for the dodgy photo, it was a bit dark by this point!)
And here's a shot of the work in progress ... along with a few other projects!
mini-in-yard by Sabre75, on Flickr
I also sorted a few other bits & pieces while I was waiting for coats of paint & filler to dry.
A while back I'd started making a boot liner to give a rigid floor over the spare wheel & battery, so I finished that off:
boot_floored-and-carpeted by Sabre75, on Flickr
I also painted the rear speaker grilles to match the bodywork:
rear-speakers_painted-covers by Sabre75, on Flickr
And we fitted the new rear screen seal and trim:
new-rear-windscreen-seal by Sabre75, on Flickr
So after all that (and not much sleep on Saturday night!) Hamish was ready for the Cooper Day at Beaulieu.
hamish-after-beaulieu by Sabre75, on Flickr
hamish-after-beaulieu_back by Sabre75, on Flickr
Along with acquiring some comedy sun-tans we picked up various bits & pieces, including a set of opening rear quarter-lights; well, I like to keep busy!
opening-rear-quarterlight-and-seal by Sabre75, on Flickr
That's it for now folks; front suspension to sort next - watch this space!