4 replies to this topic

#1 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

I'm in the middle (well beginning) of restoring my pickup - I bought this a couple of years ago, with full MOT - it looked great on the outside, but when it failed the MOT on a rusty subframe, I began to dig around. Then I found it was just rotten and someone had replaced a lot of the rear load bed with a covering of lead sheet and loads of filler, crafted to look like original panels. All very clever, but the lead covered up a multitude of sins. So I began a full restoration... and created the following Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/MyMiniPickup

Take a look and let me know what you think - any advice would also be appreciated.

#2 spike 25

spike 25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:33 AM

Hi
Being a pickup owner myself I think it's a must you keep the original pressed grill.
But ultimately it's your car so build how you want because your the one who's going to drive it......... Good luck
And look forward to more pictures :-)

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

It always me laugh when i hear of these bodgers covering rust up with bits of tin/lead/filler/fibreglass etc etc.

It takes as much effort to craft panels from these materials and costs a heap more money in consumables than it would have done just to weld a new panel in.

Good luck with the resto!

Ben

#4 spike 25

spike 25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

It always me laugh when i hear of these bodgers covering rust up with bits of tin/lead/filler/fibreglass etc etc.

It takes as much effort to craft panels from these materials and costs a heap more money in consumables than it would have done just to weld a new panel in.

Good luck with the resto!

Ben

I didn't bodge my pickup :-)

#5 myminipickup

myminipickup

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi
Being a pickup owner myself I think it's a must you keep the original pressed grill.
But ultimately it's your car so build how you want because your the one who's going to drive it......... Good luck
And look forward to more pictures :-)

Thanks - I will be keeping the original front end - but would like to 'pimp' it slightly, but not sure how yet without destroying the overall look.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users