Recently, I've made a start on a few different projects, but mainly I've been working on the engine.
First job was to get everything stripped down and cleaned, I had previously rebuilt this engine but decided to redo it as I wanted to add a few trick parts and make sure it was done properly (oh and it was full of sawdust from being stored in the shed without a cover over it) (see engine stand photo's).
I'm glad i did as found grit ?? in the bottom of the gearbox.
Block was first to get some attention.
Bores were measured and found to still be well within tolerance and were given a light hone. Lips in the tops of the bores were minimal (they look worse in the photos because of the dark staining under them) but the pistons were not doing as well. The piston rings were jammed in the ring slots and I managed to break one trying to get it out, so rather than clean them up and just put new rings in I decided to order up some nice new flat top ones. This was something I had previously considered because of the increased chamber size in the cylinder head (although i did have it skimmed).
Crank was cleaned, measured, refit and given the OK.
Next up was refitting the oil pump and cam shaft. Cam is a minispares Evolution001, I've heard good things about this cam in small bore engines so i thought i'd give it a go (and it's relatively cheap compared to other cams) Hopefully the other mods iv'e done to the head etc will help with any lumpy idle problems.
I also temporarily fitted the timing chain just so i could check the cam timing and order up an offset key if i needed.
This is how i do it.
First find top dead centre (TDC). I'm not going to bore you with the details of how as there are many tutorials on here and youtube etc. (unless anyone wants me to, in which case i'll do separate thread in the appropriate section)
Next I put a push rod in the No.1 inlet and measure at what degree the inlet is fully open.
Minipares suggest 107 degree on their website, as you can see from the photo mine peaked at 106 degree which is good enough for me.
With all that done I slapped in the rest of the push rods and head studs and couldn't resist putting on the shiny copper head gasket, for no other reason than it looked pretty.
Now on with the head..........................................
Edited by nicnoo, 30 May 2020 - 03:07 PM.