New small welding update!
I had some hours in the shed this weekend which I spent on improving my welding skills.
Last time I fabricated my repairs parts for the front of the door step. Had to modify them a little as I didn't notice the front is going a little narrower as on the whole length of the sill...
Put the last fold flat, folded it again so that is fits the car nicely.
Then I cut the old door step, put the repair in place, welded and ground it down. Very pleased with the repair!!
Next place was the front inner wing. Same job here. I exercised a little on welding pitted areas as I was always blowing holes when the metal is too thin due to rust. My solution to this is to put a weld on a "heal" area to have a base weld, and from there go on with small welds all around in order to weld up the rusted area.
And as this part was badly rusted (much pitting and obvoius big rust area on the bottom) I decided to cut it and replace it with new fresh metal.
Unfortunately I couldn't manage to weld it up, as I still have to work a little on the heel board before finishing that (and I ran out of time...)
Another job I did last week was to dismantle the center gauge to clean it.
Went from this
to that point plus removing the chrome trim.
The speedometer is a little rusted at the bottom in the gauge but I am not sure whether I dismantle it to take care of it. It's not that obvious once assembled in the car I think.
Pretty happy this time with the progress!!