Ehm, Hello? Someone still there?
Well, it's been a veeery long time, I've been busy putting the red one running, changed the engine and so on, still strugling with the paperwork.
And Covid situation made the travel from Germany where I live to France where I work on the car quite difficult.
But, let's go back to Toto.
Basically, having been away of the car for the most time, I could not do much bodywork on it.
I could find some interesting parts. Cobra replica seats, nearly new, a 12G295 with some skim and port work done which seems good to be used.
My Leyland Trophy wheels are now at a company to be repaired (one is badly scratched at the rim side, another one has been welded in the past). The centre cap cannot be removed, so I first
have to get an adapter made to put the wheels on the machine. This is ongoiong.
I sent my Cibie Head lamps to be restored. Went from this
This was pretty expensive (150€) for Mini Headlamps, but I wanted to stick with the Cibie headlamps and there are NLA, so the only way is to do the repairs. And I am really happy with the result. Now I can clean the small fixings and assemble them back together.
Last week I was doing home office at my dad's place, so I could have a look on the Mini and go on with welding work. This time, to get some confidence back, I grabbed the front subframe which needed some work done. One of the top arm axle was stuck in the frame and needed a LOT of persuasion to go out.
And here the to-do list:
So I started with making gussets to reinforce the front wings for the lower tie bar using card board templates and welded them in.
Then I started with the repairs on the upper arm.
I got a bushing made out of copper to avoid loosing the pilot hole for the axis
Which resulting in grinding a chamfer to get more access to weld, welding around it and grinding down
I did the same on the inner side which looked the same (no picture here)
And on the front side inside the tower:
And dressing the outer side of the front in between. The steel sheet was bent to the outside, so I hammered it down.
Final check, a used axis could be assembled in the subframe ;)
I finally went on with straigthening the rear wings for rear mounts as they are completely out of shape
The subframe now still needs some dressing, but I want to assemle it on the body to check how it fits.
And finally I ground down some factory weld splatters.
I am still very happy with the acid bath cleaning, the subframe got the same treatment and looks still pretty good after 1,5 years dry stored.
Thanks for reading,