#91 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

Hello all, short update of the last days' progress:

I went further on the floor repairs. Now it looks like a patchwork... Hopefully after grinding it further down and then with a flap disc it will look flush, but I'm pretty happy with how it comes out.

Hur6larl.jpg

This afternoon I started on the battery box, and decided to change the whole bottom of it, as otherwise I will need to do several repairs to it. First thing was to think how to recreate the rib et its bottom.

So I changed profession and took a piece of wood which I drilled to recreate the negative form of the rib.

On the second attempt I was satisfied with the result and decided to go on. I only cut a big plate out of an old painted panel, and started to strip the paint. Tomorrow's task will be to create the rib, dirll the holes and do the folds. And then weld it to the remains of the box.

But... I forgot to take pictures...

And when I get one hour I will paint the calipers so that they can be stored until using them.

And I think I can look for a new upper arm, as the knuckle housing is worn. If I remember well the nylon cup was broken, and the knucke has then worn the arm...

Cheers,

Gilles

#92 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

Here are some pictures I forgot to show in my last post.

Here the wooden die I drilled in some hard wood:

Pwm01oQl.jpg

This ended after a first attempt into this metal piece which already looks a lot like a battery box:

ESogMtUl.jpg

The old one out (in fact it was a good thing to replace it in one part than doing patches)

dm6I3xrl.jpg

And welded in place and ground down:

IvKuKyPl.jpg

That gives a general overview of the rear floor:

keNVZ8Vl.jpg

I still have to fix the reinforcing plates for the rear mounts of the subframe, weld the main floor and then I can tick the box "repair the rear floor"

That's been a huge work but I'm very pleased with the result and what I learnt from doing it!

Cheers,

Gilles

#93 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

New update after a few days gone.

I went a bit further on the bodywork, the reinforcing plate and valance closing panel are welded in.

UONiZ0jl.jpg

But... As I put the rear valance to check the general fit, I discovered some issue:

P1RDVXdl.jpg

At first I didn'understood why, as I copied the shape of the replacement floor I have. Then looked on the other side to compare:

cK7xchdl.jpg

Can it be that the shape changed over the years? On other threads I saw a straight line like I first did on later Minis.

Anyway, I then banged a little to get this shape:

tcgs9nAl.jpg

And now the rear valance fits much better:

1d9NRfwl.jpg

I also started to repair the rear valance corner. That is a bit complicated to do as there are loads of different curves to follow.

0CdxQRGl.jpg

On the mechanical side, I found complete front and rear subframes less the swivel hubs and transmissions for good money

I then directly stripped them:

c8ZmOgCl.jpg

lYvw2Egl.jpg

The front one is in a very good shape, the rear one will be better inspected after sand blasting. Has some rust flakes on the usual spots.

And I finally gave two coats of heat resistant paint on my 7,5 calipers:

QdHmTaCl.jpg

That much for today, to be continued.

Cheers,

Gilles

#94 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:28 AM

Small update due...

I didn't do much on the bodywork these last days as I was again in Germany for a couple of days. But there I got some jobs done:

- I ordered O-rings a while ago for the centre speedo, could finally get my hands on them and finished to assemble the speedo:

I wasn't very happy with the water temp gauge as the paint peeled off when I covered it up to repaint the corner. But it's not that obvious. Have to see once (one day) in the car.

BbHAOivl.jpg?1

85qE9Rsl.jpg?1

- I bought a front subby with an A+ 998 engine for 80 quids. The subframe is fine, the engine needs a new head (given with the engine) plus a clutch and I think a 2nd gear baulk ring as it springs out.

- the wiring harness was in need of a clean up after 40 years, so I took a big bucket with soapy water and spent some time cleaning it up. Asides of one or two connectors to reconnect, the harness seems in a very good shape, all the cables are easy to bend. Even the fuse box is rust-free!

- And yesterday I got a bargain, but not really related to my project:

mmHiieOl.jpg

Front solid subframe and its rear sibbling, for 120 pounds. Both in good shape, although the rear one wants some welding done. I'll blast them and see what's left.

Cheers

Gilles

#95 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

excellent mate your getting on really well ,loving the home made dies for battery box etc ,your fabrication skills are an inspiration

#96 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the comments!

I'm trying to do the best I can with what I have, and trying to show -while learning myself- that one can use everything lying in the shed to make nice panels ;).

Used the die technique from one topic here on TMF. Have to say I'm very happy with the result of the battery box!

excellent mate your getting on really well ,loving the home made dies for battery box etc ,your fabrication skills are an inspiration

#97 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:44 PM

Sooo, after a long time without bodywork (I ran out of gas and was then a bit fed up with welding, so I mainly repainted axle parts) I'm back into it!

Cut and fold

5ooLfdpl.jpg

Tack and check on the body:

s8gYdxGl.jpg

Weld and grind down (and blurred picture...)

02KssYjl.jpg

I got delivery of a small but important part:

DCg9K0dl.jpg

And this morning I fibreglassed the four Group 2 arches I will certainly need for the Leyland Trophy wheels.

No picture yet, there are still curing in the molds.

Cheers

Gilles

#98 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Further parts finished or touched over:

Gear linkage cleaned, repainted, greased (and now in storage)

GyEPd79l.jpg

I went on with the rear valance. Now it needs dressing up and drill the hole for the middle bumper mount.

IMe70WMl.jpg

And... Happy days, first delivery!!

lmGaoCBl.jpg

Two big boxes (25kg) came up!

I ordered some subframe fittings to make a mock-up of the disc brakes and Leyland Trophy wheels to check the need of Gr2 arches.

AITAHq3l.jpg

Speaking about the wheels, they are at the local garage to check how to paint them. And for how much.

Cheers,

Gilles

#99 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

Hmmm, it looks like it's summer shut down on the project...

No big progress done neither on the body nor on the mechanics due to less time available to work on it and difficulties to find motivation to carry on the bodywork.

Still wanting to go further at least.

You know when you are hunting parts on the secondhand market? Like looking every day to find good parts?

I'm doing that at the moment.

And found a big bunch of parts. Albeit still assembled :)

Hb9MdZNl.jpg

uwd2dODl.jpg

It's basically a sibbling of mine, there is no V5 but I assume as per the bodynumber that it's been built one or two weeks later than mine in 1979.

It'a an automatic, the engine does not turn over, and has the typical rust here and there but is generally quite in a good shape. 

The plan is to get it as soon as I can on the road again to quench my thirst of driving a Mini again. And get back on the main project.

Here's the link for it.

Cheers

Gilles

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares