Photo
- - - - -

Getting The Rose Family Mini Back On The Road! (After 5 Years)

roundnose

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#151 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

looking good bud, soon be on with the body work!!

have you decided whether your going for a roller jig ? ( fully recommend ) - wish I had got one at the start......

I am seriously considering it. My two major concerns are space and cost. :ohno:

Most of my body work is front end. I am guessing these panels should be fitted without it being on a roller jig or do you think that doesnt matter?
yeah two fair points, they're not cheap....but you could build one ?

honestly I don't think you can correctly put a new front end on without using the front subframe as a bolt on guide as such ( could be wrong ) the roller jig uses the same mounting points.

if your only doing the front end, it might not be worth buying one...

someone might comment saying it can be done without subframe. all I know is it made life a lot easier haha and I knew it was square with the body

keep up the good work

If it worked for you then it sounds right to me. Your build looks awesome so it looks like worked.

I like the idea of using sub frame as guide for front end. Will use that.

I'll know a bit more when engine is out so watch this space!

Thanks again.

Ben

#152 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:53 PM

Not a huge update this time. I am currently in the process of building something I can push the shell around on out of a solid pallet and some castors I took off one of my wheel dollys.
I'm also making another which I can use to push the engine around on. Once these are ready I'll be getting the engine out as its literally flopping around in the engine bay now.

So I struggled to get the gear linkage off as I assumed I could use a regular punch to remove the roll pin.

49122499902_e367e80582_b.jpg

Me being a bit of an amateur at all this I couldn't get it to budge. So I bought correct tool from Mini Spares and sure enough it came right out.  http://www.minispare...sic/TOOL17.aspx

49122500782_f323e28240_b.jpg

49122500567_f5d691ee46_b.jpg

49121811053_8d625233a1_b.jpg

49122313286_c2c6d6162d_b.jpg

49121810908_c41385b233_b.jpg

49121810768_54126230af_b.jpg

49121810743_58020e1f81_b.jpg

49122312986_04853dcb00_b.jpg

49121810638_8ea9d7f30f_b.jpg

Started to un bolt the front subframe a bit in preparation.

49122313531_e1c5fa242d_b.jpg

49122500692_4c856710e2_b.jpg

49121810353_5a2e7f0c82_b.jpg

Next post will be engine out and then finally I have to grow a pare and start doing some body work! Argghhh.

Edited by Ben Rose, 25 November 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#153 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

looking good mate, the fun starts soon!   ;D

have you got yourself a welder ?

#154 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

looking good mate, the fun starts soon! ;D

have you got yourself a welder ?

My cousin has just finished restoring a modified bike so he has said I can borrow his. I'm going to use the old panels to test on and then when I'm a bit happier I'll buy the panels and give it a go. I need a compressor too so I'm hoping for a good Christmas. ?

#155 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:59 PM

Great progress so far, keep up the good work

#156 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

Floor looks nice and solid Ben...shame about that scuttle though, although we knew that was shot. Lets hope Santa thinks you've been good this year :xmas:

Best start dropping hints {if you've not already}. Great work so far...keep it up :thumbsup:

Edited by cooperd70, 26 November 2019 - 06:14 AM.

#157 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

Great progress so far, keep up the good work

Cheers, appreciate it. ?

#158 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

Floor looks nice and solid Ben...shame about that scuttle though, although we knew that was shot. Lets hope Santa thinks you've been good this year :xmas:

Best start dropping hints {if you've not already}. Great wok so far...keep it up :thumbsup:

??? I've been dropping hints for months. Yeah most of the BAD rot is the front end. I'm sure a bit more will be found though once I've got started! Thanks for your input again mate and I appreciate the support.

#159 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:52 PM

Getting closer to my favourite part!
Keep it up!!

Ben

#160 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:59 PM

Hi Ben.

Still a ways behind you in the strip down stakes but plodding on.

One question i have to ask is where are you storing all your parts?????

I have quite a resonable size garage and i am almost running out of space.

I have just removed the glass (but not the doors yet) and not wishing to annoy the wife i might be in trouble if it goes in the house.

I had a little smile on my face when i saw the holes in the floor just where your foot is for the pedals......I 'stumbled' across this as i was removing the dash wiring and pushed a screw driver through the floor .

Keep up the good work. 

I will be watching the panel replacements with interest.

Cheers

Chris

#161 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:31 AM

Hi Ben.

Still a ways behind you in the strip down stakes but plodding on.

One question i have to ask is where are you storing all your parts?????

I have quite a resonable size garage and i am almost running out of space.

I have just removed the glass (but not the doors yet) and not wishing to annoy the wife i might be in trouble if it goes in the house.

I had a little smile on my face when i saw the holes in the floor just where your foot is for the pedals......I 'stumbled' across this as i was removing the dash wiring and pushed a screw driver through the floor .

Keep up the good work. 

I will be watching the panel replacements with interest.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I feel like even though it is taking me ages to get anywhere, each little job done is a step closer to getting her back on the road!  :D

Before I started the project I cleared my loft of most of the junk, it was already boarded and carpeted.  This is where most of the parts are being stored.  Its really my wife's car so she has been okay with this as she wants the car back on the road as much as I do.  :lol: My garage is too small to keep all the parts in it so there was no other choice.

The parts I've removed which I can get through the loft hatch I've labelled, bagged up and then stored in plastic boxes.  This includes the seats, carpet, glass, dash etc.  It was a squeeze but made it work.

The rubber seals and knackered exhaust, anything I definitely don't intend on re-using but may want for reference are just outside round the back of my shed!

The Boot lid, Doors and Bonnet are all still in the garage covered over with sheets/towels.  You can see them in the background of some of the latest pictures I've posted.  Look for a White(ish) towel.

The wheels I just keep moving round whilst I'm working on the car as I don't really want them in the loft or outside.

It is tough to find places to store everything so I feel your pain for sure.

Yeah the holes in the floor seem to be where water has made its way behind the dash and collected in the foot well!  Great fun isn't it!  Its finding stuff like that which is why I wanted a bare shell so I could see what I have to do.

Cheers

Ben

#162 elliot341

elliot341

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:58 PM

Hi Ben, just read the whole thread. You're doing great getting it all stripped down! Ready to get on with the bodywork soon I imagine :) You've got a bit more scuttle and top dash rail work to do than I did. Hope it all goes well. The front looks toast but but a lot of the rest of it looks pretty good, hope there arent too many nasty surprises (I'm sure there will be a few). All the best mate, I'm not too far away from you either.

#163 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:19 PM

Hi Ben, just read the whole thread. You're doing great getting it all stripped down! Ready to get on with the bodywork soon I imagine :) You've got a bit more scuttle and top dash rail work to do than I did. Hope it all goes well. The front looks toast but but a lot of the rest of it looks pretty good, hope there arent too many nasty surprises (I'm sure there will be a few). All the best mate, I'm not too far away from you either.

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for checking out my project.  As you say the front has completely gone however the rest doesn't look too bad.  It needs a new rear valance so I'm probably going to start on that however I think I will make a list of jobs as soon as I get the engine out and then take it from there.  As you say I'm sure there will be a surprise or too on the way.

When I get her back on the road I'll definitely be on some of the local meets so may see you there.

Cheers

Ben

#164 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for checking out my project. As you say the front has completely gone however the rest doesn't look too bad. It needs a new rear valance so I'm probably going to start on that however I think I will make a list of jobs as soon as I get the engine out and then take it from there. As you say I'm sure there will be a surprise or too on the way.
When I get her back on the road I'll definitely be on some of the local meets so may see you there.

Cheers

Ben
Think we're all looking forward to Ben being able to enjoy the rewards of his hard work and getting another mini back on the road. Hoping to get to see the finished article when he's done at some point ?

Edited by cooperd70, 28 November 2019 - 03:41 PM.

#165 Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for checking out my project. As you say the front has completely gone however the rest doesn't look too bad. It needs a new rear valance so I'm probably going to start on that however I think I will make a list of jobs as soon as I get the engine out and then take it from there. As you say I'm sure there will be a surprise or too on the way.

Cheers

Ben
Think we're all looking forward to Ben being able to enjoy the rewards of his hard work and getting another mini back on the road. Hoping to get to see the finished article when he's done at some point

Definitely want to do London 2 Brighton at some point  :highfive:

Just cant guarantee when!  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users