#1 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

My boss has decided to add a Mini to his collection of Ford Model A and T cars. A pickup, specifically. This vehicle holds a fair amount of nostalgia behind it, as the first company car he ever owned was a Mini pickup. He'd wanted one of these vehicles for a while, but just couldn't find the right one. That was until I stumbled upon this one on Gumtree in November last year. Bought sight unseen and was told to go and fetch it - about a 1000 mile round trip. 

The day it was fetched :

ibwfJQL.jpg

It's a 1967 model, thus has the Australian type doors. It's been fitted with a later 99H type 1000cc at some point. Generally a good vehicle, with no rust or body damage. It does, however, need some mechanical work, which I'll get into shortly.

The first day it was back, it had the original company stickers from the mid 90s put on, along with some new tyres :

I1zcqbn.jpg

And sat next to one of the newer company pickups :

3Fgf2Vb.jpg

Already had it on the hoist and found some prior repairs/maintenance that were rather 'interesting'. Having looked through the vehicle, pretty much the entire braking system has to be replaced. New parts have already been ordered and received. Will hopefully be getting stuck into this vehicle shortly.

ZRQfo3v.jpg

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

lovely little pickup you've found there  :-)

can't believe how tiny it looks parked up next to the modern one; it's like a kids pedal car in comparison !!

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:21 PM

That was the exact thought I had when I saw it too :D

Looks great

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:50 AM

staying with drums on the front? I would have gone to one of the discs kits, reasonably priced and better performance

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:28 AM

Looks like a nice example! Again it's uniquely South African, having the Aussie doors on a pickup  :proud:

#6 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

lovely little pickup you've found there  :-)

can't believe how tiny it looks parked up next to the modern one; it's like a kids pedal car in comparison !!

It really is a good base to start with. Makes my life so much easier!

staying with drums on the front? I would have gone to one of the discs kits, reasonably priced and better performance

Trying to stay 'original' in most respects - for what this car is used for, drums are fine. The exchange rate doesn't help with importing stuff like disc setups either. Have to multiply everything by at least 20, before VAT etc. 

Looks like a nice example! Again it's uniquely South African, having the Aussie doors on a pickup  :proud:

I really like these doors. More user friendly than the sliding window type I think  =]

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated  =]

#7 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Managed to get an earlier and original steering wheel to replace the sporty one that's in there currently. There is a crack under the centre badge, but overall, not bad. Considering how hard they are to find here in SA, I'm happy :

jxRV44K.jpg?1

Also got some Classic Castrol oil for this car :

qOnciJO.jpg

I'm now at the point of doing some work, so she's on the ramp ready for some love and attention :

N93xkKy.jpg

#8 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

I can't believe I didn't see this thread when it was started. Lovely find! Rare to find them still with their pressed grille and all the original features. 

Also, it must be nice to have a ramp to work on the car :) Should make life a lot easier than rolling around on your back to get to the bolts under the car. 

I believe Andrew in Cpt has restored a couple of those early mk1/2 steering wheels. He ground down around the cracks, sanded back the entire wheel to give it a good key and remove any imperfections and then filled the crack and painted it. I would message him and ask him for the proper process (as I'm probably completely off the mark). The restored wheels usually look amazing! 

Am I correct in thinking those are van tail lights? They look sloped rather than straight? Do you know when they switched to the 998 engines in the pickups/vans in SA? 

#9 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

I can't believe I didn't see this thread when it was started. Lovely find! Rare to find them still with their pressed grille and all the original features. 

Also, it must be nice to have a ramp to work on the car :) Should make life a lot easier than rolling around on your back to get to the bolts under the car. 

I believe Andrew in Cpt has restored a couple of those early mk1/2 steering wheels. He ground down around the cracks, sanded back the entire wheel to give it a good key and remove any imperfections and then filled the crack and painted it. I would message him and ask him for the proper process (as I'm probably completely off the mark). The restored wheels usually look amazing! 

Am I correct in thinking those are van tail lights? They look sloped rather than straight? Do you know when they switched to the 998 engines in the pickups/vans in SA? 

Big part of this purchase was the grille. Seen far too many for sale with the grille hacked to pieces.

I've done my time working on the floor, both for private DIY and professional workshop jobs, so I'm more than happy to work on a ramp. It was actually my only request to my boss when he hired me.

I'm planning on restoring the steering wheel at some stage, but will leave as is for now. I remember chatting to Andrew about the process quite a while ago. Think he used some kind of body filler for the cracks. Can't remember exactly.

They are van tail lights, yes. Definitely want to get the correct lenses - these don't do the vehicle any justice. I'm not actually sure about the engine specs for the Van/Pickups in later production in the 70s. This engine isn't the original though. It would have had an 848cc in it originally. 

#10 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:32 PM

Made a start on the repairs today. I'm starting with the rear suspension and brakes as this seems to be less intensive than dismantling the entire front end. 

iwlYW5X.jpg

This vehicle has really had some questionable maintenance done in the past, especially on the braking system. The rubber hoses look to be the original items; if not, then they're really old replacements. Left rear has perished and started to leak in the last couple of weeks, while there is a mix of brake shoes and cylinders - real backyard mechanic work. This picture shows the use of front shoes on the rear, with a leaking cylinder, among other things :

WvAqNQh.jpg

Stripped out the suspension on both sides at the rear. The radius arms are at the engineers for new repair kits to be installed, while I make a start on cleaning and painting some of the remaining items :

kQmZkB0.jpg

And the crusty items that were removed :

JC6wxY9.jpg

#11 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

I believe Rover P4 tail lights are the same as the Pup's, they're out there if you look.....my buddy bought a set for his Pup. Spendy but not horrible and they were NOS.

#12 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

I believe Rover P4 tail lights are the same as the Pup's, they're out there if you look.....my buddy bought a set for his Pup. Spendy but not horrible and they were NOS.

A lot of the eBay sellers have caught onto that, so they're advertising the P4 lights as fitting the pickups as well. Unsurprisingly, the prices have risen a bit.

#13 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

Made a little bit of progress today. The rear back plates have been built up with all new parts. The only items not replaced were the hand brake levers - still in good condition. So nice being able to deal with new parts :

vQm7eya.jpg

I've also refurbished the rear hubs with a lick of paint, some new studs and wheel nuts and new Timken taper roller bearings. The bearings that came out were still the ball-bearing type and had certainly seen better days, especially on the left side, which had absolutely no grease in it :

2UGGl5p.jpg

#14 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

Always nice to see new suspension and brake parts getting fitted. Restores faith in the handling of these cars.  

#15 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

Do you know when they switched to the 998 engines in the pickups/vans in SA? 

I made a mistake in a previous post about the engine. According to Ryno's book, the pickups got the SA 'assembled' 998 in about 1965/6 - prior to that they used the 848. In about 1969, they switched to the SA 'manufactured' 998 engine. Production of the pickup ended in 1971 if memory serves, with roughly 2500 units made in total. The van went on for quite a while after that though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users