#16 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

More progress >_<

Spent a productive couple of hours at the lockup over the last few days building the brace-bars/ frame work for hanging the front end off

at the mo it is only tacked together (and tacked to the shell at the mo, will free it once the bolt holes are drilled)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and with the front back on

Posted Image

Posted Image

There will be extra gussets when i final weld it later this week, and brackets for mounting the header tank and the rad will be added to it also, but it should do the job. >_<

#17 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

Had a productive couple of days at the lock up.

Owen came over yesterday to lend a hand, cheers chap :unsure:

So the brace bar/ front end support is now welded up and bolted on and we started to make the lower rad mounts. 1/2 way through and the genny packed up ;) This kind of hampered us, so we decided it was time to get the engine fired up again as it hadn't been run with the extra silencer and the airflow meter connected. Well i don't think i'll struggle with noise regs :P Took a bit of tweaking to get the airflow meter calibrated (and it's still not 100%), but it was a big boost to hear him running again :P

So today i decided to make a start on sorting out the wiring and dials. So the old dash was removed and i could then play about with the positioning of the Tigra dials
This i think is where they will end up as it in front of the driver, the speedo cable will want to go through the brake master cylinder
Posted Image

I then set about replacing the stock 4 fuse set up with 2 lots of 8 blade fuse boxes. To make this easier, i also bolted in the nova GTE seats on the bodge brackets they came with. too far forward so some new ones will def be needed
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then i decided to have a play with the bonnet pins. I think this is where they will end up being
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by craig 1010cc, 17 May 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#18 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Well, another couple of productive hours spent today

The bonnet pins are now fitted, need a bit of adjustment (front is a bit far forward at the mo and i might wind the back down an inch)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then it was on to the rear number and numberplate lights. As the boot i got from Keith has been partly smoothed, i soured some LED numberplate light bolts which will do the job. Nearly drilled into the tank, but realised in time :shock:
Posted Image
Posted Image

then got bored, so repainted the spare clubby grill in gloss black
Posted Image
Posted Image

So a few more jobs ticked off the list :D

#19 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Bit of a mixed day today. Decided to do a bit on the cosmetics side.

So, the boot was stripped and given a coat of satin black
Posted Image
Posted Image

But i broke one of the wires for the numberplate lights inside it so i'll have to order another set :doh

Then on with the front end. Spent a while trimming the remaining bits of the original mini it came off of and it now sits much better >_<
Posted Image

Then needed to trim the front arches to clear the tyres. Came up with a cunning plan as well which worked out really well
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then time to attack the bonnet. 1st thing was to remove the inner skin as it was rusty and flapping about. With that gone it was then time to sort out a few dents and scratches. This turned into a mamoth filling and sanding session and this was where i left tonight.
Posted Image
Hopefully no more to go on, just needs the final rubdown before the paint goes on :-

#20 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Big progress this evening thanks to Gaz, Owen and James (Tinxy).

The repaired caliper is on, the 1st attempt at bleeding the brakes (not very sucessfull sadly :D Keith is going to crack this on Monday with some new cooper S rear cylinders to replace the 8.4's). The front end has been bolt checked, the low pressure pump is now bolted in place, and the overflow from the swirl pot was re-routed to the tank breather.

So it was time for the 1st drive :-D backing out of the lock-up, hmmm, what that smell................petrol! :shock: was leaking from the tank overflow. with the aid of a better hose clip and some gaffer round the outlet, it was fixed well enough for the test run.

So fired back up, still running lumpy, after much head scratching Owen remebers when it did something similar when he had it "bet the plugs have fouled from when running without the airflow meter". Sure enough the plugs where black. New set in and purring nicely (well, once the leads where back on the right plugs >_<)

The 1st drive was pretty short, party due to the lack of brakes, but also it was grounding out all over the place :( But a couple of squirts on the loud pedal and boy does it go :D

And to celebrate when we put him away after wards, he dumped 1/2 ltr of coolant on the floor (new thermostat gasket needed)

only one pic at the mo, but gaz got a couple of vids which should be up soon :D

Posted Image

#21 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

NICE my kinda bodge with the jaffa tape >_<

#22 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

NICE my kinda bodge with the jaffa tape :shifty:

Got to be done ;) Will be re-doing it shortly with a flanged end and a smaller diameter hose. But it proved the point that the system works.

#23 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

And here is the vid thanks to Gaz

a small step backwards today, owen popped over to change the stat body so we could get the stat to seal (stripped thread) and i hadn't realised we would need and extra gasket and sadly hermatite wouldn't seal it so that will have to come off again :D

But the coil is now mounted up on the brace bars so still progress made >_<

And when we bolted the front back on, i thought it was time that the grill went back on :-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

Looks well nice mate :D top work >_<

#25 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Looks well nice mate :thumbsup: top work :)

Cheers, i'm pretty chuffed with how it is coming out :)
a productive few days up at the lock-up :-D

Keith has sorted the brakes so i now have a pedal (and not a bad one at that) and i have made some progress on the cosmetics too

On Tuesday i cracked on with prepping the front end for paint , stone chipped the lower valance and got the red (with flake) on the tops of the wings
Posted Image

Posted Image

A few bugs decided that they wanted to be apart of the paint job, but due t hw hot is was and the speed at which the paint dried it was pretty hard when the landed and i was able to just brush them off :ermm:

Then today it was time for the black

Posted Image
Posted Image

went on well and i am pretty chuffed with it. then on with it and the grill and side light/indicators
Posted Image
Posted Image

and on with the bonnet

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then it was time to sort the water leak. Armed with a new seal, Owen set too it and it was soon leak proof again :)

With it all warmed up, it was time for the road test :)

Didn't go as planned :( the cam timing was out by 3 teeth so it died on any more than about 1/4 throttle.

back to the lock up, cam re-timed and ready for test drive mk2. This time it went very well :-D The only torque steer was pulling off in 1st when the wheel span up, but as soon as it had traction, it pulled dead straight 8) And it does go rather well :teehee:

So now it is back in side and crack on with all the remaining job before it can hit the road properly.

Gaz should have the vids loaded soon as well 8)

#26 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

and the vid

#27 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

nice great work very impressive

#28 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

Well, a bit of progress over the last few days

Managed to get my head round most of the Vaux dials wiring loom, no where near as easy to follow as a mini diagram. so I now have a set of tigra dials with working rev counter, fuel gauge (albeit backwards so need to reverse the plugs at the sender), temp gauge (but that did seem to warm up quick, will have to investigate further when on the road and a bit more clearance around the sender), main beam tell tail and no charge tell-tail (alternator). Just can't find the oil pressure wire from the engine loom and get the indicators or dash ilumination to work. but I have ways around those so that isn't a big prob.

Also made up the mounts for the dash pod and drilled the hole for the speedo cable and drilled and screwed on the bonnet pins

So a few more jobs ticked off the list :dontgetit: hope to have the wiring finished soon and crack on with the jobs needed to get it finished for the road and track

A most productive evening tonight >_<

Owen was up so we cracked on under the bonnet

1st up was the rad mounts.

Some curved tube was cut to size, and then out with the MIG 8-) That sorted the bottom mounts out a treat. Then a flat plate was cut, bent and drilled to make a removable top mount

Posted Image
Posted Image

All looked good, but would the front go back on...........

Posted Image
YES :teehee:

So on with more fab'ing. This time the header tank mounts. Again more flat plate was bent, drilled and welded and we soon had this

Posted Image

jobs a good'n.

So we put him back together, a job well done :dozing:
Posted Image

#29 dsgoody

dsgoody

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Local Club: Gert Lush Minis

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

Just looked through the whole log from start to finish. Top work there, and a nice car.

#30 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

Time for a quick update, not done masses as been away a bit (and been a bit lazy as well :ermm: )

So, Jobs now ticked off

Airflow meter now has a better bracket to hold it in place
Posted Image

Pootle also now has eyes (rather than the 'tinted' headlights :()
Posted Image

Also lowered the back edge of the bonnet down 1" and fitted up the arches
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And i've just renewed his insurance, all mods declared (inc the engine :ermm:), commute to work, fully comp with track day cover, limited to 4k per year, £240 :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users