#1 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hi there,

I currently have a stage 1 998 mini, however, its obviously not fast enough! I am seriously considering building a 1293 supercharged engine.

So im basically after peoples opinions on a 1293 supercharged and whether anyone has one and can tell me what its like to live with?

Cheers

Tom

#2 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi there,

I currently have a stage 1 998 mini, however, its obviously not fast enough! I am seriously considering building a 1293 supercharged engine.

So im basically after peoples opinions on a 1293 supercharged and whether anyone has one and can tell me what its like to live with?

Cheers

Tom

Hi mate not exactly the answer to youre question but will save you a small fortune. Basically if you do get it supercharged dont use a company called JONSPEED RACING as they ended up blowing my engine up costing me yet another £1500 and showed no intrest in the repaires at all this was an experience I wouldent wish on anyone
anyway good luck mate...

#3 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hi there,

Cheers

Tom

Hi mate not exactly the answer to youre question but will save you a small fortune. Basically if you do get it supercharged dont use a company called JONSPEED RACING as they ended up blowing my engine up costing me yet another £1500 and showed no intrest in the repaires at all this was an experience I wouldent wish on anyone
anyway good luck mate...

Hi
Thank you for the heads up,will remember to avoid them

#4 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

what died on the engine? i have had dealings with jonspeed before and they were fine and pretty helpfull. if it was an old engine you were fitting the kit too then there may have been play/ a fault that the extra power that the supercharger puts out it couldnt cope with. As far as im aware all the companys that produce he kit advise a complete rebuild and offe no garanties on engines the kit is fitted to (unless they build it).

The supercharged engines are proving pretty good just down on economy over the turbos but no lag.

#5 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • 1,547 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

no taking any sides here but i have heard a few bad things about the jonspeed kit. also there manifold is pretty poor flowing for sayin your adding a supercharger. not just them tho as the manifold you get with most kits out there are just mass produced by the same company and distributed throughout. im doin a 1380 supercharged engine and im taking no changes so everythins checked and double checked to make sure it can handle the power..
as for living with them the power is awesome when set up right and like it has been said there is no lag like on a turbo. 1293 is very good size to go for as youve still got plenty of meat left in the block for strenght but you will still get some power out of it.

#6 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

no taking any sides here but i have heard a few bad things about the jonspeed kit. also there manifold is pretty poor flowing for sayin your adding a supercharger. not just them tho as the manifold you get with most kits out there are just mass produced by the same company and distributed throughout. im doin a 1380 supercharged engine and im taking no changes so everythins checked and double checked to make sure it can handle the power..
as for living with them the power is awesome when set up right and like it has been said there is no lag like on a turbo. 1293 is very good size to go for as youve still got plenty of meat left in the block for strenght but you will still get some power out of it.

Thanks for that. I was unsure of going any bigger because of strength etc. Where did you get your kit? (If it is a kit)

Tom

#7 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

im making my own, better flow and cheaper. i can make the manifolds for around £100 so sall good for me.lol only problem is i have to make the inlet pipe to go with it as my manifold obviously moves the charger around from other peoples. see piccy. progress on it so far please excuse the gap in the middle.. forgot to add 3mm for width of blade.lol

Attached Files

#8 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Lookin good so far. Don't think i have enough talent/knowledge/patience to make my own! How easy/difficult are you finding it?

#9 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

I should be getting my supercharger on Friday, so I could post some pictures up for you all so you can see how it is modified?

#10 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

pretty easy actaually as long as you have patients and a co worker who can use cad your well away.lol just send the drawing to laser cutters and get sum pipe work bobs ya uncle...

#11 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

I should be getting my supercharger on Friday, so I could post some pictures up for you all so you can see how it is modified?

That would be handy if you don't mind?

Cheers

Tom

#12 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

No I don't mind its just a case of me remembering lol.

#13 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

No I don't mind its just a case of me remembering lol.

lol. Cheers for that.

#14 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

But by the way, I was researching if my purchase of my supercharger kit was good, and found that unless you can make the inlet, carb pipe, etc, then it would cost more than a kit, so don't rush into it, thinking that making it all/buying individually is the way, isn't always the case.

#15 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

what died on the engine? i have had dealings with jonspeed before and they were fine and pretty helpfull. if it was an old engine you were fitting the kit too then there may have been play/ a fault that the extra power that the supercharger puts out it couldnt cope with. As far as im aware all the companys that produce he kit advise a complete rebuild and offe no garanties on engines the kit is fitted to (unless they build it).

The supercharged engines are proving pretty good just down on economy over the turbos but no lag.

Hi mate ye I always used Jonspeed and ye they were always very helpfull until it blew up the piston rings went and head gasket a gasket blew out of the charger itself aswell ow ye and they damaged my wings and front panel and it also tuck them 4 weeks and 5 visits to get it to run half decent. I know what you are saying about being an old engine and finding weekneses but I was told it would be fine as the question was asked at the time. At the end of the day I wont be using them again if any body else wants to thats up to them
best regards mate lee.... :withstupid:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users