49 replies to this topic

#16 Jossen

Jossen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Give Andy at ML Motorsport a ring or pop around the 25 to give him a visit, him and AC Dodd built my Supercharged 1293cc and it's amazing! They used a combination of parts from various companies but most came from VMAX as they were the only ones making at the time. Really for me though it was down to the attention to detail of Andy and AC's work that has made mine so great!

I've now done around 13k miles on the engine and it just gets better and better! Oh, and I did the first 10k in three months! :D

Having had this one, I'll never build another fast A series without a blower!

Here's a link to the build thread

and he's is me just showing off some photos from my Mini World shoot!

Steve.

Edited by Jossen, 27 February 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#17 TheKing777

TheKing777

Mini Mad

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

I had a 1293 Supercharged engine and it was the best thing I've had (still waiting to see how the 1380 works out), However I would advise you get the right pistons, I cracked 3 of mine and thus resorted to a n/a 1380 for cheaper running!
It was pretty quick and I had much fun taking on many 2 litres and above. Dont bother with the Saxo's etc, just a waste of fuel!

#18 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

had 2 kits one vmaxscart one jonspeed

vmax kit took 12 weeks to turn up then had to send manifold back as was twisted ,

jonspeed one ran in 07 then sold kit to THEKING 777

both kits are nearly identical exept jonspped one had a few mods to make it a better fit etc

could never get hold of vmax by phone or email

jonspeed easy to contact and vist as always some one there

dont dismiss a company just because one person says so ,everyone as bad experiances with one company or another does not mean is the norm

its your money so do some reserach contact the different companys yourself and then choose

need to make sure engine is in good contion to take the extra load etc

am in process of building 3rd supercharged engine for my mg metro with ecu and injection

are great fun to drive when done right

#19 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

Cheers for all your help so far guys, given me lots to think about.

Can i ask a cheeky question and ask roughly how much it cost you guys to build these engines? And also some tech specs?

Thank you again

Tom

#20 Jossen

Jossen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

If you pop onto my build thread below there are all the specs for the whole car! Hope that helps!

Give Andy at ML Motorsport a ring or pop around the 25 to give him a visit, him and AC Dodd built my Supercharged 1293cc and it's amazing! They used a combination of parts from various companies but most came from VMAX as they were the only ones making at the time. Really for me though it was down to the attention to detail of Andy and AC's work that has made mine so great!

I've now done around 13k miles on the engine and it just gets better and better! Oh, and I did the first 10k in three months! :yinyang:

Having had this one, I'll never build another fast A series without a blower!

Here's a link to the build thread

and he's is me just showing off some photos from my Mini World shoot!

Steve.

#21 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Ah yes, i thought your car looked familiar! It was in mini world last year. Tis a very nice car. And thank you for the links, i shall have a butchers.

Cheers

Tom

#22 AuDix

AuDix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: FmF Mini Club - Colchester

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Im hopeing to do the same (HOPEING)

Some prices and spec will be nice.

What is the rebuild mileage time on superchargered lumps. Im lookin for some reliability as i want to tour with my mini !!

Willl

#23 Jossen

Jossen

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Very much depends on how you drive, what spec you build etc. As with all A series engines. I had mine checked over after 10k miles and all is well, we'll have another look see after another 10k, might need something then but we'll just have to see!

#24 greymini78

greymini78

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hi mate i finished mine off last summer, been running it ever since no probs as of yet. The hardest thing for me was getting it to idle properly,solved it with a heated alloy block identical to minispeeds which fits behind the carb,it seems the fuel atomises better when slightly warmer? I know it shouldnt technically but hey it idles like a 998 now,doesnt miss a beat.Here is the spec
vmax scart road head 36/31 valves 28cc chambers
1293cc block omega 11cc dish cast pistons
standard rebuilt gearbox,uprated difff pin,pick up pipe etc,
2.9 final drive ( used the standard metro 3.44 final drive before,ran out of gears to quickly!)
My biggest tips for reliability are- never boot it until fully warmed up ie oil is 60degrees C more ideally,and regular oil changes say every 6 months,and if u can avoid it..... wheel spins, when the wheels stop spinning thats when the standard diffs tend to go bang. Good luck pps 120 nanas at flywheel and 117ftlb torque at 4000 rpm, which is pretty good in my book its normally 30-40% over what the na equivalent would be,so figure a half decent 1293 would be 80-85 120 is about right.Plus u dont want anymore with a relatively standard box.

Edited by greymini78, 06 March 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#25 minicityE-2008

minicityE-2008

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi mate i finished mine off last summer, been running it ever since no probs as of yet. The hardest thing for me was getting it to idle properly,solved it with a heated alloy block identical to minispeeds which fits behind the carb,it seems the fuel atomises better when slightly warmer? I know it shouldnt technically but hey it idles like a 998 now,doesnt miss a beat.Here is the spec
vmax scart road head 36/31 valves 28cc chambers
1293cc block omega 11cc dish cast pistons
standard rebuilt gearbox,uprated difff pin,pick up pipe etc,
2.9 final drive ( used the standard metro 3.44 final drive before,ran out of gears to quickly!)
My biggest tips for reliability are- never boot it until fully warmed up ie oil is 60degrees C more ideally,and regular oil changes say every 6 months,and if u can avoid it..... wheel spins, when the wheels stop spinning thats when the standard diffs tend to go bang. Good luck pps 120 nanas at flywheel and 117ftlb torque at 4000 rpm, which is pretty good in my book its normally 30-40% over what the na equivalent would be,so figure a half decent 1293 would be 80-85 120 is about right.Plus u dont want anymore with a relatively standard box.

Hi there,
Cheers for that. Very helpful. Now all i gotta do is save some money!

Tom

#26 AuDix

AuDix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: FmF Mini Club - Colchester

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

i second that. Im going to get my lump out and strip it down ready for its bore out.

does anyone have a chart of piston/bore sizes. What i mean is e.g 1275 = 0 1293 = +.10 and so on.

Thanks Will

#27 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

+.020 is 1293cc on a standard stroke crank. +.040 is 1310, +.060 is 1330, 73.5mm is 1380 & 74mm is 1400.

#28 quinny1275gt

quinny1275gt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:55 AM

hi guys been reading this thread and im considering the supercharger my engine 1293cc full rebuild 6 months ago covered about 2000 miles heres spec, its had new shells bearings all the stuff you expect from a built engine
hiff 44 carb
high compression pistons
lightened flywheel inertia
1275gt head stage 2 spec ported
swiftune sw05-07 cam
duplex timing kit
1275gt gearbox standard
manilfow exhaust system
Cooper s clutch setup

looking to add to my engine
1:5 rockers
re curve the dizzy
more head work
4 pin diff

however would it be cheaper and better power gain by buying minispeeds supercharger kit forĀ£1300 and bolting it on
is it going to make a massive difference to the car or the mods i was going to make the better way forward, i cant afford to have to start having intenals replaced as they are like new.

ps would you be able to drive it a rollers for tuning or need to trailer it, do you need to uprate fule pumps or anything else to add to the cost equation

#29 greymini78

greymini78

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hi mate from the sound of it you would get more power from the supercharger kit as i said about 30-40% extra,seeing as your engine spec is pretty much the same as mine i would say about 120nanas as opposed to probably with 1.5 rockers etc about 100 ish nanas.The thing to consider is the compression ratio( that for the me is the biggest factor) What we need to know is the current comp ratio,dish of pistons if there is one. Because with any forced induction depending on boost levels but lets take 7-8psi as a target u would want say 8.5.1 something like that.But if youve got high comp pistons u will need to lower the comp by either enlarging the head chambers or fitting a decompression plate
i went for chambers as this is seen as the corrrect way to achieve said comp ratio.Although i must state before my engine rebuild i was running a decomp plate and didnt have any reliability issues. As for cost i would say about 5-600 quid for the mods or 1400 quid for the supercharger kit from vmax (in my opinion a higher quality as the inlet is constructed from stainless as opposed to mild steel) Just my opinion before anyone bites my head off! Speak to Stu at vmax he will be able to advise u what will be required on your engine.Extras will include a solid state pump,regulator(not turbo) and a seal kit to convert the carb and a good rolling road session. But u should be able to drive it to get set up or trailer it if youre not sure as the needle will need profiling. Hope this helps.Sorry its long winded.

#30 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

As already highlighted above, getting the compression ratio down to a suitable level is going to be your biggest issue. If the pistons only have a small dish or are flat tops & the heads been skimmed to any degree then you're really stuck.
Do you know the current compression ratio ? Piston, head vol etc ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users