276 replies to this topic

#46 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Right then! managed to get some work done on it today :)

Did a few little jobs like plopping on the SBD coilpack and stuff.

pedal box didnt arrive, so i carried on with the wiring loom, found the reason it was so bad, was because of extra wires added after installation, making loops, so it was impossible to unravel.

So took all of it out, removed alot of wires, wrapped it in tackless matt tape, put the rest of the inline fuses into the fuse box. Then put the SBD wiring loom in, shortened the battery connection (was designed for a nova, bit of a stretch to the battery, ive just put mine to the starter motor). I had a hole low down where the shifter cable for the R1 engine used to be, so all looms have been routed through there. Final wiring install was the wideband lambda sensor (innovate LC1) which was simple enough.

Heres some pictures, bare in mind ALL of the wiring in the engine bay is in its finished position (appart from the water temp which isnt routed properly). so its damn tidy IMO :) im quite happy with it :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
one for you matt, you were wondering about clearance etc

Posted Image

jobs for tomorrow : mount the rad, wrap the exhaust, looking at the pics, think i may need to paint the inside of my fg front

#47 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

Wiring looks very neat - I take it the hole that it all goes through is below the bulkhead crossmember?

JR

#48 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

indeed it is, the old R1 shifter hole, about 2" away from the starter motor solenoid :lol: so real neat,

Cheers buddy,

Al

#49 max edw

max edw

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

looking awesome!

was cosidering moving my loom lower as we do it with all the project cars at work and it looks neat on them but the engine bay looks mint all bare! will be hacking my loom up anyway as i had it made by a company on the net during the origional resto so its got all the wiring for every model mini ever i think! so definately gonna move it too!
damn you! stop inspiring me to do more work!!

Also im told the company i mentioned can do just about anything to the motors. will try and get some details for future ref.

#50 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

Love this project, managed to convice my friend to do a small bore 16v vauxhall conversion. He wanted to do a conversion anyway but I managed to sway his decision.

What pedal box did you go for in the end? Can you get some pics once you've mounted it etc

#51 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

Looking good sunshine!

Looking at the side-on view of your head/manifold setup, the Corsa GSi one will fit in mine easily, but I'm doing the 'powerbox' mod (Mantzel stylee) for now rather than stick with the very looooooooooong standard inlet tract. They're a grunty engine as standard, I believe, but the setup you've gone for should be good for around 160 donkeys, yeah? Will be an awesome car when finished! What gearbox are you running? F15W with a 3.55:1, or a 3.74:1?

#52 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

max edw - glad its inspiring you! just spent the weekend at santa pod so no work done ;) update tuesday i think! any information about the company you no would be brilliant!

kcchan - i went for a EBP pedal box in the end, ill get some pics up as soon as i put it in, gonna go in after the wiring is fully finished though. Urgh, i hate mini wiring looms!

Matt - 'powerbox' sik blud! Yer, im running a diesel box with a long final drive, but thats my only pet hate about this conversion, just cant get anything long enough 4000 rpm @ 70 - 75, it would be nice to have a bit more, which is why im going for 13's when i can afford them too, anything to try and make it a bit longer!

Cheers chaps! :lol: great to have some feedback, get me back outside to finish it!

Al

#53 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Just had a look back through the thread and can't see what you have done/are going to do with the alternator - are you mounting it behind or in front of the engine? Do you have any pics of the mountings?

Cheers,

JR

#54 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

what i was going to do was completely ignore it! and then right at the end of the project, weld it somewhere =p I want it as out of the way as possible!

#55 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

:lol: I'm trying to get ideas for mine - I have one of those dinky little alternators from WOSP which I'm hoping I can hide under the inlet, but not sure if I'm going to have enough room for it there. I can't mount it outboard either as I'm keeping inner wings.

I'm going to be making a start on stripping mine down in the next few weeks, so I'll get a project thread up when I make a start!

JR

#56 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

what i was going to do was completely ignore it! and then right at the end of the project, weld it somewhere =p I want it as out of the way as possible!

LMAO What an awesome plan! :lol: Looking brill though mate ;)

#57 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

cheers harber! lol

yer id like one of those TINY alternators, but i really have no money left! and alternators are ££££££££££££££! so im using the vaux one, as the pullys on there already! All i no is the std allspeed bracket aint up to the job!

#58 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

I was lucky with the alternator - I bought an unfinished project off the 'bay earlier in the year and it had one on it along with all the Allspeed stuff - with all the bit's I've sold, the frame, rose jointed arms, alternator, internal pedal box (still not sure if I'm going to use that though) and some other bits I'm keeping have set me back less than £500, which is a result!

JR

#59 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

Allspeed front mount alternator kit FTW!!!

#60 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

have fun snapping it in several places every time you go over a bump! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users