80 replies to this topic

#31 Mort

Mort

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

If there are no road markings you should ask for the calibration tests for the speed camera in question. They have to be sent off to sweden every 3 months to be checked and hardly any are.

The Marks on the road are for 2nd checks only.

#32 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

Poops.

I was looking at the wrong camera. :thumbsup:

The nice people on www.pepipoo.com have pointed me in the right direction.

The camera that snapped me monitors both carriageways. I had no idea!! :thumbsup:

What a spaz. :thumbsup:

#33 Angelic_Fruitcake

Angelic_Fruitcake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Oh no :thumbsup: does that mean it's got you more than once....?

Edited by Angelic_Fruitcake, 10 August 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#34 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

Oh no :thumbsup: does that mean it's got you more than once....?

Only time & the postman, will tell. I hope not. :thumbsup:

#35 Angelic_Fruitcake

Angelic_Fruitcake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Will keep everything crossed for you then!

#36 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

There doesn't have to be lines on your side of the road, I've seen it before where the photo has been taken and they take the lines on the other-bound carriageway and "draw" them across to your side of the road to calculate the speed.

I'd definately contest it though, ask for the photographs, and the proof of calibration of the camera, etc. If you're going to be done for it you may as well try fight it. You might think it's a bad attitude to take but at the end of the day, you didn't do any harm doing 50 did you? Yet you're getting punished when they could be better spending money on taking dangerous, drunk, uninsured and unlicensed drivers off the road.

Rant over >_<

#37 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the rant, Chris. I think it's time to put the Daily Mail down, now, and step away slowly.......

There. :D

Does that feel better? :o

If you had read my more recent posts in this thread you would have realised that I had in fact been looking at the WRONG camera on Google. The camera that clocked us was a gatso monitoring both North & South carriageways. There are markings on both carriageways. It is, as they say, I fair cop. I is banged to rights, Guv'nor. No contest. Just have to wait and see whether it's 3 points & 60 quid, or a speed awareness course & 60 quid....

For those who like to hootle it around Surrey, you might find this website quite useful.

#38 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Not wanting to get into issues of personal responsibility, nor am I saying you aren't taking responsibility. But surely if you were doing 60 in a 50 and you knew were at the time (that hasn't been disputed has it?), it doesn't matter where the camera was/is or whether there were markings there or not?

#39 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Not wanting to get into issues of personal responsibility, nor am I saying you aren't taking responsibility. But surely if you were doing 60 in a 50 and you knew were at the time (that hasn't been disputed has it?), it doesn't matter where the camera was/is or whether there were markings there or not?

It was 50 in a 40. I didn't know I was doing it. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true, though! Aaaaaaaaaaand, the markings are no longer an issue!!

#40 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

The Brains Behind TMF's Secret Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Knowing someone who's recently been put through a speed awareness course, I have a slightly different perception of GATSOs and their ilk.

He informed me that every camera you see represents 3 deaths on that particular stretch of road in the last two years... attributed directly to speeding and general road-based numptyism from drivers.

Makes you think, doesn't it? >_<

#41 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

im all for them being all round towns and redidential ares as it can save peoples live alot but i dont think there is a place for them on motorways and duals etc, glad the country roads are still fairly free of them >_<.

#42 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

I'd take what was said at a speed awareness course as not necessarily been an unbiased account. Even so, as much as those who deal with the aftermath of accidents might overdo the wider implications, because they do such an efficient job of clearing up your average motorist is likely to underestimate the risk by as much.

#43 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Well, true to form, Surrey Police are more than quick off the mark in collecting their pound of flesh.
Got my "conditional offer" through the post this morning. I only posted the thing back to them on the weekend. >_< I thought the wheels of bureaucracy were supposed to revolve at a geological speed?
I will have £60 less in my bank account & 3 lovely points on my licence. And what do points make???!!! :P

#44 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Take 30 squid out of Matilda's pocket money, only fair she goes halves.

Don't forget to ask if they want to buy a calendar when you pay.

ps wots a FATSO cam? - we don't have anything like that in North Yorkshire >_<

#45 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

Take 30 squid out of Matilda's pocket money, only fair she goes halves.

It's all her fault anyway. She's never getting any pocket money again. I've never had a criminal record before (apart from Kajagoogoo). She's a bad influence. >_<

Don't forget to ask if they want to buy a calendar when you pay.

Sure thing, Chief!

ps wots a FATSO cam? - we don't have anything like that in North Yorkshire :P

Well, down here in the South East (also known as the Land of the Body Fascist) all morbidly obese people must be taken out of public view. It's just safer that way. They get caught on film, and a team of forklifts is sent out to catch them & haul them into the Pound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users