#31 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Ok, little bit of update.......I've now completed assassins creed 2 so no excuse not to work on the build!!! well that is if I dont start on modern warfare 2 :)

As for the mini, well I managed to get the subby off

Posted Image

Then cable tied as much wires/cables etc and got ready to chop off the front end - the bit I'm dreading the most on this build! :xxx:

Posted Image

I'll be honest, I was bricking it a bit >_< because I knew as soon as that grinder hit that wing then thats it, no turning back......So after a deep breath!

Posted Image

Was a bit smoky in there >_< Then offered up the now old front end.....probably just for nostalgic purpose! :xxx:

Posted Image

That white mark on the inside of the pass wheel arch is where I ran over a paint pot lying in the middle of the road in france!!! Didnt see it till last minute and luckily it only covered a straight line from there and all along the jacking points and the same in the rear wheel arch, oh yeah and the tyres!!!

Sorry for that useless bit of info there on the paint pot but I know how observant some people can be :angel:

I'll be using this front end as a guide when it comes to sorting out the radiator and alternator position headache, checking for clearances etc

Dont worry the wings will still be trimmed more tomorrow so they sit up to the scuttle panel and near to the seam down the sides, just wanted to get the bulk of the main front end off, will mark up where it sits now as when I cut more off the body I wont know how far this front end moves forward :sneaky:

I was using solid subframe mounts all round so thought it'll be a good idea to check to make sure the floor was ok with no signs of cracks, all ok there

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offered up the new allspeed subframe just for a trial fit to see how much more needed to be cut of the body, and also because it gave me a massive morale boost! :angel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just need to trim the inner wings now so it will pass over the new subframe

Posted Image

I'll be getting a new front incase anyone was wondering, the old will purely just be for checking and measuring other parts that need to be custom made. Also the front crossmember on the subframe is being sent back to rob at allspeed for a standard roundnose one as this is for a clubby/extended nose, the one I need will be straight throughout as obviously its all standard nose build now :xxx:

#32 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Just got to do something about this?

Posted Image

I mean I cant work with a car this dirty, I wonder if anyone has ever washed a car mid project? >_<

#33 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Looking good mate. I can't wait to get the engine out of my car and get the new frame in. Gonna be started just after crimbo. You've gotta love those allspeed frames. Nice quality finish.

#34 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

Cheers mate, I'm tracking your topic aswell, could have a little race...... >_<

You've gotta love those allspeed frames. Nice quality finish

I was dubious about spending that much on just a frame but gotta agree with you on that front, well worth the money!

#35 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

yes all going a bit slow but might just get the engine in the frame next week. Just waiting on my covers to come back from the spray shop. Really want to get it started. Tis alot of money but will be worth it in the end. Might have to meet up at some point for a nice slow cruise around :thumbsup:

#36 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

Well aint done as much as I would've liked :D aint bothered about xmas getting in the way just the cold, thankfully Wozza from here got me a little heater for crimbo so no excuse now, dont worry I got him a just as useful present ;)

Trimmed off the excess bits on the wings that I left for some weird reason and got a recon steering rack from minispares as one of my track rods was 'dropping' a bit on its own, then got the subframe back on

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes I did paint my name on the car, it is artwork afterall ;)

Hubs off

Posted Image

Hubs painted

Posted Image

Its getting new ball joints and bearings so dont stress ;)

Checked the gearbox for a LSD as this was bought from ebay from an 'interesting' seller, he didnt put lsd in the ad its just he was not all there.....

Yep no LSD

Posted Image

Gearbox needed some paint

Posted Image

Its wish got painfully granted - Wahoo no more cleaning!

Posted Image

Started some on the block

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still undecided on the head colour? Might just go for black? Eventually the Kam cover :) will be colour coded same as the car :thumbsup:

As I've been a pillar of the community this year Mr Claus was in a good mood, so I found

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got a standard clutch and plate, ACT flywheel weighing in at 4 kilos and 3.4 final drive so no 4 gears for me :-

Got a local gearbox place thats gonna put the new final drive in but they are shut over xmas so as soon as they reopen I'll be throwing the gearbox to them to sort out. I should hopefully get my DTA ecu malarky come through by then from Watsons.

I really really really want to get engine in, will feel like a milestone when its in, well as much as a 5 and half week milestone can feel like :-

#37 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

awesome uve really tempted me to go for a honda engine conversion on mine only thing im toying with is cost and time really as im a full time enginering student. Its a bugger lol

#38 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Vaux is what you want Sean :) :-.

Looks awesome Kam! :D I hope you get the engine in soon as well ;)

#39 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

uve really tempted me to go for a honda engine conversion on mine only thing im toying with is cost and time really as im a full time enginering student. Its a bugger lol

Vaux is what you want Sean :) ;)

I haven't hit any snags so far and lets face it with what I've done its just kids stuff at the moment :D

My biggest problem is I want everything off the shelf and bolted on? As this aint possible it means the wallet has to come out, this is the biggest killer for me, not time but money as I can't fabricate etc so it means paying someone else to do it......

So, for the above, if you can make it then your sorted, sort of :-

#40 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

Did you forget you could weld Kam? :P

#41 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:30 AM

Looking good so far Kam. The naming thing just has to be done, is it going to stay or are you going to clean it off soon :P

#42 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

The naming thing just has to be done, is it going to stay or are you going to clean it off soon :P

Cheeky git! Its staying now, just to annoy you :P

#43 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:02 AM

Did you forget you could weld Kam? :P

I aint posting them on here!!! :P

I have a reputation you know :P

#44 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:43 AM

I didnt even realise you were doing this mate. I can clarify the fact that the car really is mint condition :P Are you Attending LM2010? should be very exciting racing next year.

#45 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

Cheeky git! Its staying now, just to annoy you :P

I dont mind :P

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 31 December 2009 - 10:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users