#46 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

Cheers Craig, yeah LeMans is my deadline now, I know its a few months away so we'll see how the project goes :P

#47 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

Awsome. Cutting though the wings must've really hurt :P. Il never forget our little fast lane motoring moments coming home from brooklands :P good times :P.

#48 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Rusteez

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Looking good Kam.

Keep it up :thumbsup: I'm with Ginger Monkey... 16v Honda Meet ;) Although at the moment I'll be there by myself. :( :P ;) ;)

#49 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

I hate snow

Anyway, back on topic...... :D

Been waiting for a local gearbox place to re-open after xmas and then re-open after the snow..... :unsure: so I can drop mine off to them and get the new 3.4 final drive put in, only took a couple of days and a couple of hundred bucks, so apart from having five usable gears now we'll see how bad the 'whine' is....

Got my new clutch and ACT lightened flywheel on, old wheel weighs 7.5kgs and this one comes in at 4kgs, which is nice :)

Posted Image

Thought I'd get some plates down in the footwell to secure the rear of the front subframe down, couldn't get any 2mm thick ones so had to buy a sheet of 1mm and double up, hopefully it should be fine.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cut the top plate a little bit shorter so hopefully when the guys seam weld it then both plates should bind

Posted Image

Picked up the gearbox after the new final drive went in and hooked it back up to the engine, what fun! I reckon a good couple hours trying to get it to align up!!! Ok that does include a 90 minute lunchbreak I gave myself :P

Posted Image

Was told the gearbox side needs to go in first to clear the allspeed frame and can sometimes be tricky, after a little think - cue health and safety moment :P

Posted Image

It held fine so no biggie ^_^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided to paint up the Kamcover after being inspired by ginger monkeys engine pictures :thumbsup: Theres no front brace bar as I'm sending my clubby one back to Rob at allspeed for the standard length nose jobbie thingy one

Haven't put the rear mount in yet as this was a trial fit and just wanted to see how tight things are - DAMMM!! I knew everything was tight but this is more tighter than a lottery winner! I can see where the precious few mm come in handy!

Need to shave some more off the steering rack box and also cut off a section on the diff which I think? is not needed, I think? :teehee:

As it sits now with the top bolt removed from the steering rack box

Posted Image

And with engine pushed back a tad

Posted Image

I'm sure when I put the rear mount in I'll get a better idea of how much to chop off as that will tilt the bottom of the engine a little more forward.

So glad its in there though, although there is still alot of headaches around the corner this gives me a moral boost :thumbsup:

#50 minimad01

minimad01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

getting there i want to do this with my doner shell once my 84 mini is done but i think ill do the k series change :D
good luck :unsure:

#51 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Looking spot on Kam! :D

#52 mdickson

mdickson

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Kam,

it is looking good. I was wondering if you are thinkg of playing with this on the track you may want to check out the sump and the position of the oil pickup as they are prone to the oild moving away from the pickup und extreme cornering. a couple of one way baffles or a modified sump would fix the problem. Let me know what you think.

Keep up the great work I can't wait to see it.

Martin.

#53 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

Martin,

Thanks for the heads up mate, apart from the TMF nurburgring trip I'm not sure yet if I'm keeping this as a comfortable trackday toy :thumbsup: or just a general runaround-sort-of-ish-kinda-thing? :P

Besides, my sump is a bit goosed anyway? Looks like the previous owner has tried 'something' with it?

Posted Image

Don't know if it leaks and don't really want to take a gamble so was trying to source another sump, not easy, and I don't fancy paying the £242 to Mr Honda for a new one so as I'm there then baffles may be an option?

More food for thought!

#54 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

maybe the previous owner threaded the sump plugs so used some braze and a great bloody nut
dont seem to bad to me

#55 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

ah beat me to it mate. My car goes off the road to start the change tomorrow. I can't wait till I have the engine and frame in the car. It'll be another milestone. Tomorrow is gonna be a long and busy day :D keep up the good work as I'm gonna reference your page when I get stuck :techsupport: O_O

I found that fitting the engine into the frame was not as bad as people have said it to be. Did it by myself with a bit of huffing and puffing. Bloody heavy things. Kinda had it the same as you where it is tilted over gearbox end and she slid in lovely.

Edited by ginger_monkey, 19 January 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#56 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Nice on Kam!!!

Keep it up :(

#57 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Any progress matey?? What rad are you gonna use so i can steal your idea and put it mine :D

#58 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Any progress matey?? What rad are you gonna use so i can steal your idea and put it mine :D

Bits and bob progress, nothing worth shouting about though, I've posted on yours on the 16v one :dontgetit: but give me a mo and I'll post it here

And rad will be custom, thats all I know so far :D

#59 captainjack15

captainjack15

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

Keep it up mate :)

Progress is good no matter how big or small :)

As long as you reward yourself with "fun" jobs that go with the "boring" ones then it'll seem much better.

:)

#60 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

Ok, been one of them getting alot done but nothing looks like anythings been done kinda things, got time, got heating ;) just seems like I'm hitting a brickwall at the moment? Loads to do though, weird?

Anyhooooooos, changed my mind and decided to cut up the bulkhead which saves me from cutting up the inlet manifold, at least this way the inlet can work as normal with no changes to the air flow, so Mr grinder came into play once more, thought its about time to change the disc aswell, was getting a bit awkward! ;)

Posted Image

I know most of you know so I'll put up the next picture for those that dont, the bottom of the inlet has a mahooooooooosive lug thats not needed, it holds onto the inlet support which we dont use as it gets in the way so off it comes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then started on the bulkhead, cleared it away as much as I could and got ready to cut up, clutch master cylinder was giving me issues so I gave it issues back! :(

Posted Image

Nice and tidy loom! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got inlet on for trial fit, good good

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see how much it cuts into the bottom of the bulkhead

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bought a shifter from a dc2 integra type r, need the exhaust here first before I start cutting this up, note the kink in the stick

Posted Image

Got my exchanged front bar from Rob at Allspeed, man that exhaust is gonna be one tight mo-fo! :dontgetit:

Posted Image

And some driveshafts from him

Posted Image

Just need some inner CV joints now as I didnt get any driveshafts when I bought the engine, not the most easy thing to buy but got a place that can custom make up some joints if need be? Love that word, custom :thumbsup:

Gonna make a couple of changes to this build, wont say what yet as it still in R&D stage :P but will still be standard length roundnose eventually, just gonna have a back-up plan so I can meet my deadline and get this mini to Le Mans 2010 just incase I start struggling near the time, I know its another 4 months away so we'll see.

Loads to do, but as John Terrys mum would say - Every little helps! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users