#31 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

People are entitled to their own opinions and are entitled to express them too.

Just because a different opinion may offend an audience is no reason to keep quiet (fortunately or unfortunately however you see it).

It's not a sensitive place for a demonstration, but that's the idea, isn't it? Expressing opinion that gives maximum impact.

If it's not violent, they are entitled to do it.

If it is quashed by those who are offended by it, then freedom of speech does not exist.

thank you. this is what i was trying to say but a lot better worded.

Just the kind of views which now make me ashamed to say I'm British and given the choice I'd happily go and live elsewhere altogether. But I just don't know where and a different planet would be very nice.

:D

Your ashamed to be British because there are people who believe that everyone should have the right to their own oppinion? If nobody was allowed to have their own opinion then you would not have your oppinion and shame. Also this forum would be redundant because nobody would have the freedom to say that they love their Minis.

And as has already been said: -

freedom of speech doesnt exist! thats why racism is illegal

I'm no fan of the BINI or BMW, but I don't and never have gone on a hate march at every Mini show shouting abuse at BINI owners. God no, in fact I'm swapping classic Mini DVDr discs with one member who owns both a real Mini and a BINI. Live and let live, even though I'll always defend the original where appropriate.

But yes racism is definitely illegal.

#32 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

to turn it on its head a little here. What would the reaction be if i went into a taliban controlled area and marched empty coffins of our British citizens that died in the terror attacks through the streets. Do you think it would be allowed or do you think they would do more to me than just ban it?

There is a time and a place for freedom of speech and this is clearly The Wrong Time and Definately The Wrong Place.

Apparently there problem is with the British Government, which is strange because i swear the last time i looked, the Houses Of Parliament are in the Middle of London, NOT Wooton Bassett!!!!!!

#33 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

I can't believe the Muslim march will take place. The only possibility of avoiding a huge riot would be if the bereaved Brit families were to appeal for the protest march to go ahead in the interests of fair play, and that ain't going to happen.

But I signed the petition anyway.

Edited by Teapot, 06 January 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#34 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

talking about minis and talking about extremest Muslims parading around a town where our fallen heroes pass through on one of their final journeys is very different! it is not just shocking to gain maximum impact, its disrespectful and disgusting, how would you feel if your brother or farther or son had lost their lives in the war and then you heard this was happening?!

I have already started the application process to join the Royal Navy so please dont lecture me like that. I never said that i wasnt disgusted by the march, which I am, i was just trying to put across the point that it is not right to ban a march which will just disgust the entire population of Great Britain just because you do not agree with their views.

#35 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

. Try and do that in the middle of Alabama USA they would be shot down and put in the boxes they are carring in 2 minutes.

I agree, but saying that did anyone watch that episode of 'Louis Theroux's Weird Weekend' when he hung out with that family of religious nuts? They were American's, but they'd picket near the cemeteries where funerals were taking place for the young people who were killed fighting in Iraq and shout abuse at them because they believed they deserved to die for going to war.

They also claimed that all those who died on 911 deserved it because God had allowed it to happen?

I had to switch it off because I almost smashed my TV in rage, but how come they haven't been annihilated yet? They were certainly getting enough abuse thrown their way from passers by and passing motorists.

Some people are just sick.

#36 BoboGib

BoboGib

RoboGimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

The Home Secretary has already said if he recieves a petition with 100,000 signatures then he will not allow it to happen. If they do it illeaglly then everyone gets arrested, think its under the public order act.

#37 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Im sorry but if you want to do a demostration, then do it in your own country

just because someone is a muslim doesnt make them a foreigner, thats like saying all black people are foreigners.

and yes some of them are from other countrys and do sponge off our system but im sure some of the people that will be going on the march protest thing are born and bred british but just have a different religion.

but i do agree that they shouldnt be protesting in wooton basset but out side of no.10 or some were on a political stance so that there can not be any chance of our servicemen and women having there names and reputations being dragged through the dirt.

people do have a right to say what they wont when they wont. people cant stop you talking unless you are inciting some illegal.

#38 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

Link to the Official Petition

http://petitions.num...espectWBassett/

#39 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

Signed.

>_<

#40 jameswhiles

jameswhiles

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Local Club: A5 Minis

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

Signed.

>_<

Yep me too and sent it to everybody on my contacts list. Its about time we stood up for this country and say enough is enough

#41 hystrix cristata

hystrix cristata

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

I don't see what peoples problems are with them walking through a town where people who have chosen to be in the army and know they could be killed get brought back to after the thing they knew could happen to them has, carrying coffins to represent the inocent people who never chose to be in a war, that just want to live thier lives but have ended up in one.

It doesn't matter where they do this people would complain about it.

I personaly hate how when a british troop is killed it is all over the news but nothing is mentioned about how many Afghans where killed in the process.

What is it with people saying "if we did this in "their country" we would get killed". I don't think we should be at war but isn't the point of it to make "their country" a place that in the future there is democracy and freedom of speech?

#42 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

signed.
I do not agree with this, it needs sorting.

#43 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

could someone kindly explain whats going on, in plain non biased english words for me

all i know so far is that muslims are doing a march and theres a petition against it.
theres nowhere on here listing the reason for the march or the petition

#44 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

It doesn't matter where they do this people would complain about it.

I personaly hate how when a british troop is killed it is all over the news but nothing is mentioned about how many Afghans where killed in the process.

so you want to know how many muslims were killed by the Taliban while trying to kill British troops >_<

i'm quite happy for them to protest outside parliament, it'll go un-noticed just like all the other ones. Wooton Bassett is, as far as i feel anyway and i'm sure many will agree, a sacred passageway for our fallen troops.

#45 BoboGib

BoboGib

RoboGimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

I don't see what peoples problems are with them walking through a town where people who have chosen to be in the army and know they could be killed get brought back to after the thing they knew could happen to them has,

Please don't ever say that again.

Do you moan when the postal workers go on strike for not getting enough money, so you don't get your post.

Would you moan if the BA cabin crew strike had ruined your holiday as they wern't getting enough money.

Would you have moaned if you had to get a leg ampoutated after having a car crash as the Froces were covering for the fire service who were on strike for not getting enough money.

All of the above examples KNEW what they were getting when they decided to to do that job.

I joined the RAF as I wanted to help the country, help the people. As I said in a previous post on this thread, 99.99% of Afghani deaths that occur do so because of suicide attacks and blood fueds. The other 0.01% are Taliban that die during conflict. I've been there several times so know what i'm talking about.

I also Live near Wootton Bassett and have seen too many people being brough back. Go and see a re pat then come back and tell me it didn't bring you to tears. It does me everytime. The place has become sacred to the families of the fallen due to the massive amount of respect shown by the locals. For this march to happen would be like them having to loose there loved ones all over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users