Posted Image

#62 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

I just made a purchase from 7 here in the states. I got three exhaust valves, all head seals and gaskets, new double springs, new double spring retainers all new valve guides.

It should be done within a few weeks. I plan to take the block to them to determine if I need it bored or not.

I'm thinking some higher compression pistons. what do you think?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Got my delivery from seven yesterday. I'm gonna drop it all off at the machine shop tonight.

3 exhaust valves
Valve springs (double)
Valve guides 8
Valve Seals

I'm just saving up some loot for the pistons.

#64 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

anyone have any suggestions for pistons?

21253 is what I've been finding people here use. thoughts?

#65 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

ok, cool

#66 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Because of HUGE Overwhelming response I've decided on the 21253 Pistons. Also going .020 over.

#67 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

looks like a really good project your obviously very skilled when it comes to restorations
nice work

#68 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks,

I've never pulled one of these motors so that will be something new. Getting my mini back from storage this week to start removing the engine/subframe for resto.

#69 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

Pistons are shipped. :)

#70 broadspeed

broadspeed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Tom,
Do you know the history of your Mini? It looks like a 79/80 Britsh Leyland Mini Special 1100 with German/Austrian specifications (there is also a slightly different UK Special 1100 from the same era). I am from Germany and restoring just one like this. It did feature these 10in alloys as an option as well as the Innocenti style fenders. The headlamp rim is the same as the Innocenti one. The correct side indicators would be these:
http://minispares.co...id=34281&title=

Here is what these cars looked like (there were several other color combinations available):
http://www.miniacs.d...ini_special.pdf

Even though you have now added Mini-Lites, I always liked the Special because it was one of the few special edition Minis not having wide wheel arches.

Original Specials are rare nowadays. Just make sure you keep the nice 10in original alloys. The most unique feature of the Special however was their vinyl roof making that model a typical descendent of the 70s together with its black grille, wipers and wing mirrors.

The more Cooper-like chrome look still looks great on your Mini!. Perfect paint skills, I must say!

Best regards,
Andy

#71 broadspeed

broadspeed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Edit on the headlamp rim statement (why do I have not permission to edit my own post?): The headlamp ring for a Special is similar to the one used by Innocenty but still different. It is made by Cibie and was - to my knowledge - unique to the Special.

A.

#72 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Andy,

Wow. you just discribed the exact car. haha

It is a 80 Leyland for Germany/Austrian. It says Mini Special on the back. 998 engine. For the life of me I couldn't find those side marker lights. I was thinking the Innocenti but I couldn't find a pic that showed them closly enough. There were factory holes in the fenders where I have the British flag clesones (spelling). I like the location for the light better then the regular minis that interfere with the large flares. I may pick up a set of those side markers and put them on.

The car was originally Silver then painted green poorly.
I do still have the 10 wheels and the Leyland hubcaps that are in the earlier pictures. I haven't thrown anything out except the ghetto cardboard in the trunk.... or boot :)

Thanks,
Tom

#73 bigcaddy

bigcaddy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ordered my Cam Followers, Main bearings, rod bearings and Thrust bearings.

Is a factory 1300 cam gonna be ok or will I be wishing I put a larger one it? I'm gettin tired of shelling out $200.00 here $200.00 there ugggh

#74 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

nice project mate, i bet there a lot of guys on here jealous of the condition of your shell to start with.. and as said if its a special there getting rarer :)

keep up the good work
dave

#75 broadspeed

broadspeed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Tom,
the engine was then swapped at some time against a 998ccm. The Special always came with the 1100 engine. The silver Special had a black vinyl roof just like my vermillion (orange) one. The side markers, the Special badge as well as the three-piece instrument cluster and of course the left-side steering wheel pretty well define it as a German spec Special. In those times the ordinary 998ccm minis did either only have two instruments or even the center-dash instrument (even the early Specials in 1978, 1979 still had the center one - at least the official pictures show that).

I am currently collecting the Special (German spec) specific items. So far, these were:

1. Special badges on trunk and grille
2. Black matte grille, wipers and wing mirrors
3. Thin side-markers
4. Vinyl roof
5. Cibie lamps, unique wide chrome head lamp rim
6. Three-piece black plastic instrument cluster
7. 10in steel wheels with "chrome" (actually anodised aluminum) rings and hubcaps or 10in alloys
8. No wheel arches, even with alloy option
9. Chrome plastic band instead of wheel arches on the entire side
10. 1100 ccm engine
11. Unique Color combinations
12. Possibly Clubman back bumper on front and rear (like UK Special) still to be confirmed

As the weather gets warmer here in Germany, I will continue the restoration work and start a separate thread on my Special!

Best regards,
Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users