Its been a while but I managed to get a bit done yesterday before the UK MCM meet.
After being messed around twice while trying to find a replacement CV joint, I found in car in a scrap yard near me that had the same drive shafts that I have cut up to make my custom ones. An hour later and £20 lighter I had myself a replacement shaft. Shame as all I really wanted was the CV on the end.
A word of warning for anybody who has an F17 gearbox fitted. If you need a replacement shaft make sure you get the right one. The drive shafts that fit the F10, F13 and F15 gearboxes have the same number of splines on the outside of the inner CV so will fit into the gearbox however the shafts are different. The F17's are larger in diameter (about 26mm as opposed to 22.5mm) and have 25 splines not 22 on the end. This means that the CV joint is larger and the shafts are stronger. This is where I have been messed around by people selling me F15 ones instead.
I tightened up the track rod end nut that connects it to the steering arm on the N/s hub, refitted my spare drive flange and old brake disc and fitted a spare steel wheel.
(the wheel in on full lock in this picture)
I'd already refitted the new CV joint to the other shaft so once I had greased the splines I fitted it into the gearbox and slid the hub in place. I spun the wheel on the other side to make sure everything moved ok but once again the outer CV gator popped off. I discovered due to the design of the mini hub it was catching the bit where you tighten up an OEM style metal gator band and this was what was knocking the gator off. After removing the shaft again (CV didn't fall apart this time), accidently stabbing myself in the hand with a screw driver and some swearing, I managed to fit the original metal band that the mini uses.
The shaft was refitted and the suspension assembled.
I also fitted one of my brand new, slotted, grooved and vented discs to the drive flanges that I had machined.
Once the bolts are torqued up I will remove the temporary disc and drive flange I have on the other side and fit the new disc and machined drive flange I have for that side.
These discs will go with a set of minitex brake pads and a set of 4 pot callipers that I am currently rebuilding. I found I have the rarer ATE callipers instead of the more normal Lockheed ones so parts are a little harder to find but I shall persevere. I need three new pistons for them so I am currently machining them out of some stainless steel. I'll also need to machine some spacers as these callipers are designed for non vented discs. The replacement seals are the same as some old Volvo rear brakes so aren't too difficult to get.
Hopefully I should be able to finish off the last few bits tomorrow before I drop it back down on its wheels for the first time in about 5 years (I keep saying this but it never seams to happen).