422 replies to this topic

#376 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

No it's not I had to get rid of mine due to costs that were mounting up having to constantly repairing to keep it on the road, like wise if they have decided to get rid and have a MINI then that's up to them and neither you or I should judge other people on what they want to do!
I'm wondering if it's hear say that this has happened or is it true and what club is it?

I think you are missing the point. Its the scrapping of a classic that we find objectionabe. Its their choice what they drive, but as mini enthusiasts (club members etc) why scrap the car? Give another enthusiast a chance to save it.

#377 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

Guess the scrappage scheme was just too tempting for some. Bad news for the mini. But in all honesty, if I was after a new car, and my mini was worth less than the £2k being offered on the scheme, I'd have swapped as well.

If anyone felt that strongly about it, then I'd give them first refusal at £2k.

Guess we were lucky that some dealerships/scrappies did strip the cars of re useable parts.

#378 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

Guess the scrappage scheme was just too tempting for some. Bad news for the mini. But in all honesty, if I was after a new car, and my mini was worth less than the £2k being offered on the scheme, I'd have swapped as well.

If anyone felt that strongly about it, then I'd give them first refusal at £2k.

Guess we were lucky that some dealerships/scrappies did strip the cars of re useable parts.

Unfortunately there was one particular well-publicised bmw dealership using a late model sports pack (worth more than 2k) scrapped under the scheme as advertising.

Edited by 1984mini25, 11 January 2011 - 01:13 AM.

#379 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

At last it found it :D

http://theswitchback...os-moved-in-may

#380 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

At last it found it :D

http://theswitchback...os-moved-in-may

Yeah thats been covered well on this site.
It was a huge mistake on their half and I believe they did release a press statement apologising for causing offence. It was a very bad judgement call! Very tactless indeed of them

Edited by E.L.M.O, 11 January 2011 - 03:31 AM.

#381 dave585

dave585

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: Carry on mini'in

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

It is all being well saying that they should have sold their minis to other mini fans but talking to someone that traded in theirs at the dealership i work at i found out why.
The mini was in mint conditition and had been up for sale for over 18 months for £700. It was adveritsed in Mini world/Mag local free paper, shows and on ebay. Over this time not one person rang or showed interest in it. Now he needed a new car for this new job and the mini was not suitable for driving the distance he had to travel and he also had enough of the mini scene. When the scrappage came along he then could get 1300 more for his car then he couldnt turn it down, thats why many owners took up the offer and most of them didnt care what the mini was about to them it was a rusty old car a to b thats all nothing more.
On a good point our Local dealer took in a part ex Paul Smith in mint condition again it was just a car to its owners nothing more they didnt go to shows or forums it was just a car! Under the rules any car had to be scrapped and once on the scrapage then that was that. So to save the car the dealer brought the car and payed the 2k for it, it now sits in the dealership in pride of place but because of the rules it cant go back on the road shame but at least its been saved from the crusher!
Thats why mini/MINI owners must work together to get people to buy them as first cars etc and get more people in to the mini family but with all the childish bickering and the continuing slagging from people then it wil not help the cause.
back now to topic.

#382 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

I agree we do want more people to buy minis. But thats Minis Dave not MINIs. Dont try pin this whole thing on us, I agree no one wants childish bickering but that being said people should still stick up for their belifs.

I think a BINI section on TMF would ultimately be a BAD thing. So I voice my opinion. Its not for you to then turn around and say that I am damaging the mini scene, i have rose tinted glasses on, blinkers or what ever nonsense you come up with to try and aid your cause. That... is childish and causes bickering.

I dont blame that guy for trading in his car, I dont even really Blame the BINI show room for attempting a marketing ploy to gain business. It blew up in their faces because it was tactless and a bad move, but I dont blame them for trying it. I do blame the government for launching the bloody scheme in the first place.

#383 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

It is all being well saying that they should have sold their minis to other mini fans but talking to someone that traded in theirs at the dealership i work at i found out why.
The mini was in mint conditition and had been up for sale for over 18 months for £700. It was adveritsed in Mini world/Mag local free paper, shows and on ebay. Over this time not one person rang or showed interest in it. Now he needed a new car for this new job and the mini was not suitable for driving the distance he had to travel and he also had enough of the mini scene. When the scrappage came along he then could get 1300 more for his car then he couldnt turn it down, thats why many owners took up the offer and most of them didnt care what the mini was about to them it was a rusty old car a to b thats all nothing more.
On a good point our Local dealer took in a part ex Paul Smith in mint condition again it was just a car to its owners nothing more they didnt go to shows or forums it was just a car! Under the rules any car had to be scrapped and once on the scrapage then that was that. So to save the car the dealer brought the car and payed the 2k for it, it now sits in the dealership in pride of place but because of the rules it cant go back on the road shame but at least its been saved from the crusher!Thats why mini/MINI owners must work together to get people to buy them as first cars etc and get more people in to the mini family but with all the childish bickering and the continuing slagging from people then it wil not help the cause.
back now to topic.

The reason it can't go back on the road is that the dealer claimed the scrappage allowance!! If they had bought it, as anyother part ex, they could do what they liked with it.

#384 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

I used to know a few people in one mini club who in fact scrapped (not sold on) there classics to buy a BINI :unsure:

:gimme: thats disgraceful, poor minis!
How can people like that be a mini enthusiast in a club and go and SCRAP your classic to get a MINI!?!?! doesnt make sense
and thats why TMF should stay purely for classics

No it's not I had to get rid of mine due to costs that were mounting up having to constantly repairing to keep it on the road, like wise if they have decided to get rid and have a MINI then that's up to them and neither you or I should judge other people on what they want to do!
I'm wondering if it's hear say that this has happened or is it true and what club is it?

i dont judge what car people drive, its up to them! everyones circumstances are different and of course alot of factors have to be thought about
but to SCRAP a mini when there are PLEANTY of people willing to buy them and save them is horrible to hear.
minis are classics and iconic, and to go and scrap them to buy a car that is just going to go down in price and forgotten about in time is sad :gimme:

#385 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

So the car is still officially scrapped, it's just not made it as far as the crusher yet.

Bet sneaky dealer will be selling that on in a few years for spares or maybe to someone with a spare log book lol.

#386 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,828 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

i dont judge what car people drive, its up to them! everyones circumstances are different and of course alot of factors have to be thought about
but to SCRAP a mini when there are PLEANTY of people willing to buy them and save them is horrible to hear.
minis are classics and iconic, and to go and scrap them to buy a car that is just going to go down in price and forgotten about in time is sad :gimme:

There may have been plenty of people willing to buy those scrapped Mini's but not necessarily for the £2000 on offer, even the famous scrappage 'Sportpack' Mini was not in quite as good condition as the photos suggested............I contacted the original photographer who had examined it up close, as Mini Mag wanted his permission to use the pics and I knew him from the ARO forum.

I would not be so sure that MINI's like the supercharged R53 MCS won't become future classics along with many other what we consider just modern cars, time stops for no one.........I can remember people telling me common old Mk1 Mini's would never be true classics in the 1970's............... :unsure:

#387 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

I wondered how TMF member’s feel about the current MINI thread ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ being in Mini Chat. From what I have seen so far (page 3) this thread seems to have no relation to mini and yet has prompted much interest and debate! :( Do members who see no relevance between mini and MINI think this thread should be General Chat rather than Mini Chat? After all, if it was about Morris Minors, Fiestas, Metros etc., I assume that it would be in General Chat.

When I originally saw the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread, I ignored it as I am not interested in MINI. However, I then saw a thread titled ‘Thread Closure’, this being of interest to me, I read it. I then found that this was in relation to the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread, so read that, otherwise I would not have read it.

#388 biniman

biniman

Just On Tickover

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

this is taken way too seriously, at the moment its a bit too much hassle to create a bini section if theres not enough demand with most bini owners being on existing bini forums. thats that
there both popular cars, and people are always going to like/dislike them but for now this is staying a classic forum and no amount of arguing over scrappage schemes/ bmw taking over rover/ original designers etc etc is going to change anything
rant over.

#389 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

I wondered how TMF member’s feel about the current MINI thread ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ being in Mini Chat. From what I have seen so far (page 3) this thread seems to have no relation to mini and yet has prompted much interest and debate! :( Do members who see no relevance between mini and MINI think this thread should be General Chat rather than Mini Chat? After all, if it was about Morris Minors, Fiestas, Metros etc., I assume that it would be in General Chat.

When I originally saw the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread, I ignored it as I am not interested in MINI. However, I then saw a thread titled ‘Thread Closure’, this being of interest to me, I read it. I then found that this was in relation to the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread, so read that, otherwise I would not have read it.

seems a bit of a joke to me.
i dont mind the MINIs but i dont come on here to look at BINIs and especially not in mini chat......
and it should be in general chat because people have posted pics and talked about other cars, not just MINIs so its more a general thread which is fine but should be in the right place.

#390 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

this is taken way too seriously, at the moment its a bit too much hassle to create a bini section if theres not enough demand with most bini owners being on existing bini forums. thats that
there both popular cars, and people are always going to like/dislike them but for now this is staying a classic forum and no amount of arguing over scrappage schemes/ bmw taking over rover/ original designers etc etc is going to change anything
rant over.

well said
MINI owners can go to MINI forums to talk about MINIs and can come on here to talk about classics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users