422 replies to this topic

#391 onefastmoke

onefastmoke

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

Well, personally I'm not keen on MINI's but I would never knock anyone for choosing to drive one. I strongly believe that we do need a seperate section for the MINI, as we are looking at this the wrong way, in years to come there will be far more MINI's on the road than mini's but if we all come under the same umbrella then how many MINI owners will read threads about the classic on the same site and think "I might try one of those for a weekend car/ project etc". unfortunately we can't stop progress but we should be able to tolerate it. I for one would love to keep up the friendly image of the classic mini scene :(

#392 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

this is taken way too seriously, at the moment its a bit too much hassle to create a bini section if theres not enough demand with most bini owners being on existing bini forums. thats that
there both popular cars, and people are always going to like/dislike them but for now this is staying a classic forum and no amount of arguing over scrappage schemes/ bmw taking over rover/ original designers etc etc is going to change anything
rant over.

well said
MINI owners can go to MINI forums to talk about MINIs and can come on here to talk about classics

But, the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread not only was in Mini Chat, it generated a significant level of interest and a considerable amount of that was discussing MINI. Personally, I was surprised it was as popular as it is/was given it was about MINI and not mini, but maybe that is the way of things to come. Ironically, it is threads like the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread that I assume those not wanting a separate MINI section as they see no relationship between MINI and mini would rather not have in Mini Chat. However, from my understanding, unless there is a separate MINI section, this is exactly where they will end up. Personally, I can live with this so long as the threads are clearly marked so I know which is MINI and mini (as was the case with this thread), however, I would prefer them to be in a separate section. I suppose it will be a case of 'watch this space' to see if more MINI threads of the nature of the ‘Proof Bini's Can Look Cool!’ thread start appearing in Mini Chat.

#393 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

My own opinion again,

The topic was ok, the unspoken premise was that Minis look cool and are the yardstick, like it or not, Bini's claim an affinity. Maybe it should have been in general chat, but Mini chat isn't as focused as some other sections: anything that might interest TMFer's because of there interest in Minis.

#394 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

in years to come there will be far more MINI's on the road than mini's

I think that day has probably already arrived! There are very roughly 250,000 Binis produced worldwide each year, making at least 2 million out there by now (allowing for lower production figures in the early years & those that have been scrapped). Whilst I can't quote worldwide figures, I believe that there are officially only about 60,000 classic minis left in the UK now (& only about half of which are currently on the road!) I think it would therefore be unlikely if there are many more than twice that number of classic minis worldwide (but I could be wrong). I believe that the key difference though, is that only a very tiny minority of those Bini owners are actually enthusiasts, whereas the situation with non enthusiast classic mini owners is somewhat reversed.

#395 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I think that day has probably already arrived!

I think it arrived a good few years ago! They're everywhere. Swarms of 'em. I reckon they're nesting & have a giant MINI as a queen, laying eggs by the thousands. :strongsad:

#396 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

I think that day has probably already arrived!

I think it arrived a good few years ago! They're everywhere. Swarms of 'em. I reckon they're nesting & have a giant MINI as a queen, laying eggs by the thousands. :strongsad:

Ha ha!
There like rats. your never more than a meter away from one!

I think you may be right, there are more MINIs out there than Minis now but there still arent more MINI enthusiasts than Mini enthusiasts?

Edited by E.L.M.O, 12 January 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#397 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

thats because MINI drivers tend to see their car as a way of transport to get them from A to B, rather than a hobby or passion....
if a MINI driver crashed their car, or needed some work, i doubt many would do the work on them, or fix them..... they tend to just get written off or sold on......
thats not really being an enthusiast is it

there is nothing wrong with driving what car you want to drive! im not saying they shouldnt drive MINIs or any other car for that matter, but they should be talking about them on MINI2 or a forum specifically for them, or in the general chat/other projects section on here.

yes MINIs are not going to go away and im sure at some point in the future there will no longer be any places specifically dedicated to the classsic mini only, so why should we not be allowed to keep it just for classics a little longer as there are pleanty of forums already for MINIs

#398 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

thats because MINI drivers tend to see their car as a way of transport to get them from A to B, rather than a hobby or passion....
if a MINI driver crashed their car, or needed some work, i doubt many would do the work on them, or fix them..... they tend to just get written off or sold on......
thats not really being an enthusiast is it

there is nothing wrong with driving what car you want to drive! im not saying they shouldnt drive MINIs or any other car for that matter, but they should be talking about them on MINI2 or a forum specifically for them, or in the general chat/other projects section on here.

yes MINIs are not going to go away and im sure at some point in the future there will no longer be any places specifically dedicated to the classsic mini only, so why should we not be allowed to keep it just for classics a little longer as there are pleanty of forums already for MINIs

Well said. but I dont see why TMF couldnt remain classic only.......... forever!
I know that my East London Mini Owners forum WILL remain classic only. but this is such a great forum dedicated to the classic mini, with such a wealth of knowledge for the classic mini locked away with in it, it would be such a shame for it to be all lost and covered in BINI. I really cant understand why BINI owners want to have their own section. It will lead to them wanting more and more and gradually taking over the whole forum within time. (trying not to draw a German comparison!) Whats the point? Use Mini2 you do not need to conquer this forum!

#399 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

exactly,
and we all know how that turns out for the germans lol

#400 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

exactly,
and we all know how that turns out for the germans lol

Careful my friend or some over zealous official will ban you!!!

The thread "Proof the binis can look cool" should never have been in Mini Chat. It was obviously overlooked or ignored by the mods which lead to the "Thread Closure" topic.

#401 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

i just dont get it, this is clearly a classic mini forum so why are people so intent on having a Bini section?!?
Its not like there arent other forums they can go to
So many car companies nowadays own each other (eg VW own Audi) but they are still kept seperate

#402 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Exactly. Go use Mini2 for specific Bini chat. What more needs to be said!

#403 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

The thread "Proof the binis can look cool" should never have been in Mini Chat. It was obviously overlooked or ignored by the mods which lead to the "Thread Closure" topic.

what would of been a better section ?

#404 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Exactly. Go use Mini2 for specific Bini chat. What more needs to be said!

;)

#405 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

what would of been a better section ?

hmmm... General Chat, maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users