#31 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

i drove a cooper d and it was rubbish -.-
also had a go in a mates JCW tuned and all that, still didnt like it (very quick though!)

but the main issue is thats its called a mini and its massive
bigger than my rover, pug 107, a 106, audis etc.

its German, and minis English heritage - the war etc. - BMW R75 motorbike, 801 aircarft engine etc.

and was it not ironic that John Cooper himself Rest in peace died just as BMW
took his name and plastered it on a car four times the size of a proper mini
although they did have a small role ie. handling

other than these issues i dont really have a problem with them

A little note on your comment, John Cooper and his son were both working with MINI from the start. They helped developed both the Cooper and the works versions of the car itself. MINI now own the Cooper company after Mike Cooper sold it to them. He now works on designing and producing tuning and aftermarket products for MINI.
I do wish people get their details right!

Who the ******* is Mike Cooper? LOL

#32 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Any way this turning in to a anti MINI thread again! Can we get back on topic. Many people after a mini forum but it classic or new type in google and the first one to appear is TMF which they think is for all as the headline banner says "online guide to everything mini" may be it should have "online guide to everything classic mini" or change it TCMF there for MINI owners would go else where and people who have both can join here to.

There are a very few members on this forum intent on trying to change TMF. We, the majority of members, are NOT anti MINI just as we are not anti VW, Mercedes or anyother car maker. We enjoy a forum which is specific to our cars...the classic mini. Why should we change anything for the benefit of non classic owners? I am sure that 99.9% of members are perfectly polite to MINI owners and correctly suggest that they might be better on a MINI dedicated forum.

#33 dave585

dave585

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: Carry on mini'in

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

Any way this turning in to a anti MINI thread again! Can we get back on topic. Many people after a mini forum but it classic or new type in google and the first one to appear is TMF which they think is for all as the headline banner says "online guide to everything mini" may be it should have "online guide to everything classic mini" or change it TCMF there for MINI owners would go else where and people who have both can join here to.

There are a very few members on this forum intent on trying to change TMF. We, the majority of members, are NOT anti MINI just as we are not anti VW, Mercedes or anyother car maker. We enjoy a forum which is specific to our cars...the classic mini. Why should we change anything for the benefit of non classic owners? I am sure that 99.9% of members are perfectly polite to MINI owners and correctly suggest that they might be better on a MINI dedicated forum.

No one is trying to change anything at all! what i am saying is if the headline page had the word classic in it then there would be no confusuion at all. Im on here being i have a BINI as people call them but i also about to buy a 1989 cini mayfair to restore again starting from jan 2011, so all the help on this site is greatful as the help i get from total mini and yam mini. having a new section would be greatful at the end of the for owners of both minis saving time going back and forth. but at the end of the day its up to the Moderaters if this would happen. If its does fine if not then ok. but no one that i can see is forcing anyone to anything they dont want to.

#34 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

So why exactly are we still discussing this?? The mods answer was basically a "NO" & to "direct any technical advice on BMW MINI's to a more relevant forum" wasn't it?? So what's now left to discuss??.......

No doubt someone will come up with this suggestion again before too long & we can then have the same debate in a few weeks time!! :thumbsup:

#35 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

i drove a cooper d and it was rubbish -.-
also had a go in a mates JCW tuned and all that, still didnt like it (very quick though!)

but the main issue is thats its called a mini and its massive
bigger than my rover, pug 107, a 106, audis etc.

its German, and minis English heritage - the war etc. - BMW R75 motorbike, 801 aircarft engine etc.

and was it not ironic that John Cooper himself Rest in peace died just as BMW
took his name and plastered it on a car four times the size of a proper mini
although they did have a small role ie. handling

other than these issues i dont really have a problem with them

A little note on your comment, John Cooper and his son were both working with MINI from the start. They helped developed both the Cooper and the works versions of the car itself. MINI now own the Cooper company after Mike Cooper sold it to them. He now works on designing and producing tuning and aftermarket products for MINI.
I do wish people get their details right!

he died before they released the Bini Cooper, and why didnt they call there new ish hot hatch model Mike Cooper works?
as its pretty basic tuning they do to it, bolt on some forced induction, stiffen up the suspension
but hey i dont mind bini's having the cooper name, just thought it was ironic :rolleyes:

and the only reason its called bini is bmw mini = bini
proper mini = mini

Bmw owned the rover group since 1994 but didnt see the finacial gain past 2000 due to stricter regulations so the mini wasnt viably possible to keep in manufacture
so needed a bigger softer safer version
just should of called in BMW Mini Cooper or Mini x2 or Big Mini
as appose to mini and try and run the classic mini out of town by fiercly defending the copyrighted mini name and stop production of parts to restore them :thumbsup:
thats another reason why classic mini's are different to binis
but thats all in the past! :thumbsup:

#36 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

:thumbsup:

#37 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

Who really cares who was working on the MINI? It was not Alec Issigonis!

Whether people are talking about Mini's or MINI's they should make an effort to get their facts right or expect others to correct them.

#38 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,794 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:26 AM

So why exactly are we still discussing this?? The mods answer was basically a "NO" & to "direct any technical advice on BMW MINI's to a more relevant forum" wasn't it?? So what's now left to discuss??.......

Confusing though :thumbsup: ...........I had stopped always directing the MINI posts away from TMF and instead tried to answer them wherever possible, since Dan posted this good advice a while ago:
http://www.theminifo...x...t&p=1965178
Quote:
"You haven't posted in the wrong place! Some of our members cannot resist telling anyone asking about the new MINI to go elsewhere, despite being asked to stop many times. This forum is for both Minis and MINIs, many of our members drive both and as you have found many do know the answers to these questions if they get the chance to respond before someone jumps in and scares off the poster. Technical advice for the new MINI we have only a small stock of, but general information we have tons of."

Edited by mab01uk, 24 December 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#39 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:51 AM

Confusing though :thumbsup: ...........I had stopped always directing the MINI posts away from TMF and instead tried to answer them wherever possible, since Dan posted this good advice a while ago:
http://www.theminifo...x...t&p=1965178
Quote:
"You haven't posted in the wrong place! Some of our members cannot resist telling anyone asking about the new MINI to go elsewhere, despite being asked to stop many times. This forum is for both Minis and MINIs, many of our members drive both and as you have found many do know the answers to these questions if they get the chance to respond before someone jumps in and scares off the poster. Technical advice for the new MINI we have only a small stock of, but general information we have tons of."

No confusion whatsoever...from the TMF Rules and Regulations

The BMW MINI

TMF is BMW MINI tolerant and posts that are in any way offensive towards owners of BMW MINI's will be removed and the forum member will be warned. Continual disregarding of this will result in further action being taken.

TMF however is focused on the Classic Mini, therefore it is appropriate to direct any technical advice on BMW MINI's to a more relevant forum if you cannot answer the question. Below is a link to MINI2 - an online community dedicated to the BMW MINI

MINI2

We are asked to be tolerant of bini owners, which we are. I have not seen a single post rcently that could be construed as offensive them, but am getting tired of the few that keep bringing the subject up.
This is a classic mini forum because that is what the members want. There are dedicated MINI forums, so why is it so important to the few who try to disrupt this one. You know how the majority feel about binis so why keep on about them?

Lets agree to disagree and end the subject. TMF for classic minis, mini2 for MINI.

Edited by Scallywag630, 24 December 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#40 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

Well said, and I for one am... most of the time :thumbsup:

No one is trying to change anything at all!

Err... But you/they are. The first (and normally only thing I do when I come onto the forum is hit the "NEW POSTS" button. I dont seek out threads through each section. Who does that?! Once in a blue moon I might head onto the local section or classified section but other than that, its the NEW POSTS button for me.
If a BINI section was added, then hitting the NEW POSTS button would show up all of the BMW BINI threads, therefore meaning I have to sort through all those to find the Classic mini related topics......... No matter how you look at it, plan and simple that IS changing the forum.

if the headline page had the word classic in it then there would be no confusuion at all.

I think thats a good idea. Drill home the fact that this is a forum for Classic owners a little more. I am tolerant of the BINI honestly, I just dont want it shoved in my face all the time.

I own an Audi, and know a few classic mini owners who also own Audis, but I dont want an Audi section on TMF. thats what the Audi forums are for.
TMF for Classics, Mini2 for BMW Minis :thumbsup:

I would expect most Audi forums have recently added a section for the new A1, even though it is a newly launched model based on the VW Polo and will continue to do so as new models are launched?

(Mini2 does have a small classic Mini section but you have to be a member to see it)

Actually, sorry but I dont use a generic Audi forum! The forum I use is ONLY for Audi A8 or S8 Owners! I use it because it is a forum specifically designed for the car I drive. I dont want to use generic forums so will only go to specific related forums. Why would I want to read about the A1 when I have no interest in that car what so ever? So your point about the A1 isnt really that valid.

I use this forum because it is said to be aimed at the classic driver and MINI tolerant, which is fine by me. However if it did become a more permanent place for MINI owners it would no longer be the forum of my choice, as I honestly do only want to use specific forums that are relevant. And I have a feeling that I wouldn't be alone in finding else where to chat about classic minis and socialize with OTHER OWNERS, after all, I utilize the forum to do what I thought forums were designed for, to put people in touch with people who have something in common with, ie people who have an interest in Classic Minis. For me, that what its all about, Socializing with other Classic mini owners. This isn't something I have in common with a Bini driver, so if the BINI aspect was fully introduced into the forum the whole relevance of the forum would fall apart for me, as it perhaps would for many other users?

If the BMW Mini section was introduced, and I decided to find somewhere else to hang my digital Mini keys It would be a huge shame, as I have been happy to call TMF my forum of choice, and my electronic home for many years. But If I did leave for what ever reason I have little doubt that it would go unnoticed, or even cause anyone to bat an eyelid.Perhaps because this forum seems to have a higher than normal member turn over recently, and valued long serving and/or those who contribute to the forum don't really seem to be very.... valued. I know many members have pushed their luck a bit to far, and over stepped the mark once to often but bans or people walking away seems to be the norm and happening far to frequently, that cant be right?

We dont have a dedicated section for Metro drivers, and thats more of a Mini than the BINI will EVER BE. I dont mean it as a dig, just my view.

The thing is about the BMW MINI Forum meets Classic Mini forum subject, If people didnt harp on about their views so much or even at all then perhaps the powers that be may not understand what the majority of users want. It would seem that the majority of TMF users dont want TMF to be a joint forum. Classics for classics New for New. So, even though these NO BMW posts are annoying to have cluttering up the place perhaps people harping on about what they want is a necessary evil to get the point across?

If there is any doubt about what the members want, and there was actually a decision to be made about how to push this forum forward and put this subject to rest and the powers that be wanted the members to decide, perhaps it should be put to a vote? I know I may be surprised and not get the outcome I hope for, but what will be will be and at least the subject can be put to rest once and for all.

Edited by E.L.M.O, 24 December 2010 - 02:37 AM.

#41 dave585

dave585

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: Carry on mini'in

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

How about this for an idea then? why doesnt TMF set up a forum for new mini owners run in the same style layout and the great help that is given here. Change the banner to a pic of a new mini and then put classic in the title on TMF so it would read "your on line guide for everything classic mini" and then the same on the new forum "everything new mini". A link could be put on the classic forum to the new and anyone with new mini questions can post there. It would be good for people entering the mini family or has both to move back and forth between the two getting the same advice thats given. This way anyone not interested with the new mini does not have to read any posts or get shirty when people join and post.
Im sure that TNMF if it went ahead could get sponsership from a local MINI dealer, or new mini spares like newministuff, lohen or MINI itself to help run the site. Would this be better for everyone or will i be shot down?

#42 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

I don't claim to be a Bini fan but I can see that attitudes towards them are changing, prices are now falling to a level where they start to appeal to "enthusiasts", the type of people who like to fix their own car.

By having a seperate section it would be possible for those who dislike to hear any mention of the Bini to set their preferences so they don't even have to know this section exists. Hell for the die-hards we could set up a user group that made it impossible for you even see this section on the main board.

Any stray posts can simply be moved to this section, tidys up the main board, stops arguments and job done!!

We are turning away more and more potential members all the time.

#43 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

but shifty, if they are members of the new mini community is that a problem on a classic forum?
no doubt 90% couldnt contribute in the technical problems associated with Mini's.

like i said in a earlier post, if new minis get there own section, how long will it be before that out grows that of the original??
theres thousands more new mini drivers than classic mini drivers now.

#44 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

What about a vote on whether we want binis included or not?

#45 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

how long will it be before that out grows that of the original?? theres thousands more new mini drivers than classic mini drivers now.

I'm not sure it would, yes there are a great deal more BMW mini owners than classic mini owners out there, but how many of them are actually enthusiasts who would be remotely interested in an online forum. Surely the vast majority of BMW mini owners are just people who are only interested in their car looking nice & getting them from A to B? There must be many millions of Ford Fiestas out there, but I'm fairly sure that there aren't many millions of members of the Ford Fiesta owners club! :) Also the majority of BMW mini owners will tend to be female & therefore less likely to be car enthusiasts in the first place. (...& before I get a barrage of abuse, yes i do realise that men do also drive the Bini & women can also be car enthusiasts.... but let's be honest, by & large car enthusiasts do tend to be male & Bini drivers do tend to be female!)

I would think that the situation with classic mini is very much reversed though, there must be only a very limited amount of non enthusiast classic mini owners left these days. I'm sure that there are still a few "old dears" out there, who only use their minis to go to the post office once a week for the last 20 or so, but lets face it if you weren't a classic mini enthusiast you'd buy something else nowadays, wouldn't you?...... the BMW Mini perhaps???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users