187 replies to this topic

#121 TheOriginalMiniator

TheOriginalMiniator

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

If you look at the top picture on page 8 you can see its an Edelbrock victor X he's got

saw that, but as part of the Edelbrock was covered i couldnt be sure what its proper name was - combined with my limited knowledge of honda tuning parts i figured it wasnt too unreasonable to ask!

Edited by TheOriginalMiniator, 01 November 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#122 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

Hopefully Paul won't mind me going into one of my speeches here :gimme:

Theres two eldebrock inlet manifolds you can get for the honda b's, one is the victor x like Pauls and the other is a performer x, the victor has shorter wider runners and the performer has taller narrower runners, they both work really well on both na and turbo setups and are highly recommended on most of the forums over the other popular one the skunk2

However having shorter wider runners vs taller narrower runners must have an impact on where the inlet makes its power, I'm not sure on this but would hazzard a guess the shorter wider is good for low end torque and the taller narrower is good for mid to high power?

Either way cutting up the runners and having them angled would probably lose you power if they are not done properly in the first place so you do need someone who knows what they are doing than finding just anyone who can weld, if you think about it the flow needs to be constant, if your kink/join is too great or sudden its gonna cause a turbulence in the flow

As your gonna be cutting up the runners then your better off getting the victor x, as cutting up the performer x would be a waste seeing they have narrower runners, so victor x in this case

However (there is always a however in this case!) the performer x has a slight inwards taper where the throttle body mounts to it meaning this will give you some much needed clearance if your air filter pipework is sitting a little bit too close to the clutch master cylinder, if you got an aftermarket master then you can use some banjos, original master then its a bit more difficult with the copper piping, this is all dependent on what frame your using and engine positioning etc

Also that inwards taper is not there for looks, it ensures your intake flow hits the center of the plenum and all the runners get an even amount of flow as possible, with the mounting face for the throttle body being straight then usually the first runner gets more of the flow, in this case the runner nearest to the TB (cylinder 4)

I'm using the skunk2 inlet as sometimes I like to be a sheep and just follow the crowd, but I'm having a chat with someone to maybe look into making an angled mount for my throttle body to try and get the performer x look as that must also have an impact on flow efficiency to all the runners, also it will give me some clearance, if it don't work out then it don't work out but I will look into it

All food for thought

Back to you Paul :D

#123 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi progress has been a bit slow on the mini lately works been realy busy lately and my daily driver decided to brake down and cost me a fortune to fix , but hopefuly should get a chance to get back on with it in the next few weeks just need to sort out a few bits like a aftermarket pedal box and find somewhere to make up allt the braided hoses for the clutch etc , have managed to connect up the water hoses , and made a start sorting a gear linkage then just got the steering columb to sort out and adapt and get an exhaust made , and the worst job to wire it all up wich i keep puting off. will post a few more pics of progress very soon . Oh yeah thanks kam for answering the few questions for people you definately no ur your stuff .

Edited by paul190181, 03 November 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#124 TheOriginalMiniator

TheOriginalMiniator

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

Hi progress has been a bit slow on the mini lately works been realy busy lately and my daily driver decided to brake down and cost me a fortune to fix , but hopefuly should get a chance to get back on with it in the next few weeks just need to sort out a few bits like a aftermarket pedal box and find somewhere to make up allt the braided hoses for the clutch etc , have managed to connect up the water hoses , and made a start sorting a gear linkage then just got the steering columb to sort out and adapt and get an exhaust made , and the worst job to wire it all up wich i keep puting off. will post a few more pics of progress very soon . Oh yeah thanks kam for answering the few questions for people you definately no ur your stuff .

sounds good fella, on the home stretch!!!

#125 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by paul190181, 07 November 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#126 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Just added a few pics of what the minis looking like at the moment and what it looked like when i bought it , Ive managed to get a bit more done conected the gear linkages up , that was a bit of a nitemare il get some pics of them when i take them off to paint . also connected all the water pipes up and they look prety tidy so happy with that , and connected up the fan and threaded the wires into the car so all the wiring is now in the one place and in need of the ends connecting up .

#127 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Posted Image

Theres something scary looking about that fan mate???

I thought the Minitec ones were pull fans? But more importantly alot larger than that!

I know its in now but have a look at pulling it off and getting the rad sitting more flat and getting a slimline pull fan behind it, let the ram air do its job?

#128 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

Rather jealous of your workspace - working in a little box garage for my vtec conversion! Looking good - We'll need videos soon!

#129 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Well ive managed to get a little more done managed to fit the steering colum in place and finish the gear selector , the car has now gone off to have the role cage made and fitted to the car so probably be away for a bit . chris rekons hes got some great ideas on how the cage should be so im just going to let him get on with it and hope its as good as he rekons it will be .

#130 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Paul, not sure if I have mentioned it before but you should get this over on 16v mini club, copy/paste all your posts and start a build diary over there as there is quite alot of people on there using the minitec frame

#131 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

love this mini how long did the subframe take to come from mini tec

#132 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

love this mini how long did the subframe take to come from mini tec

Hi the frame came from minitec within days but customs held it up by a few weeks. the frame is excelent tho and i hghly recomend it

#133 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Managed to get a little more done on the mini today , managed to get the steering rack and columb all in . Connected the fuel lines up to the tank and under the car now just got to connect upto the fuel rail when the new injectors arrive .threaded the new cable from the starter motor through to the battery box and connected in . And connected all the water hoses up and got them in the rite positions . So next on the list is to brave the wiring and sort out wich tooth needs to be took of the bottom pulley . So hopefully end of the month mite get the engine fired up .

#134 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Good going Paul :thumbsup: getting there, does this mean your roll cage is all fitted in and done now?

and sort out wich tooth needs to be took of the bottom pulley

Mine is the standard 3 pulley which I'm guessing is what you need aswell but hopefully this might help a bit to show the markers, you should have a single mark on the crank followed by three marks, single one is the TDC mark which sits inline with the timing belt cover which has its own protruding mark, the three together are the timing marks

Posted Image

With everything lined up TDC look directly at the crank head on and its the one straight up which is not there, TDC is about 11 o'clock, so you need the 12 o'clock one to go bye byes

Hth

#135 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hi kam cheers for the pic of the pulley that's a great help . He's made the main loop up for the frame but didn't want to make the cross braces etc until I've got a set of seats in their and the driving position sorted so nothing fouls the seats etc . So I've got to wait a bit longer now. Ordered the injectors last week so hoping they arrive soon then it should be all systems go .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users