160 replies to this topic

#31 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Its alright saying you can just use the bus, but for me if I wanted to go most places just 5 miles down the road, I’d have to get a 45 minuet bus ride into the centre and then another back out again to the actual destination I wanted to go to in the first place. Then have to do the same to come back. 4 busses, 3 hours and twice the cost just to do a round trip of 10 miles. :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more, the public transport is absolutely appalling in this country. I regularly travel around Europe on public transport as it's clean, reliable & readily available. Above all it's cheap & I wouldn't dream of taking my car instead due to the cost & inconvenience of doing so, if public transport were a real alternative to the car in this country then I'd be more than happy to use it!

Just to prove a point the last job I had, just 7.3 miles and just under 20 minuet drive, for a 7’oclock start the earliest bus I could catch would get me to mk at 10 past 7 and that’s before caching the one I need to get to the final destination and if it’s a Saturday, I might as well forget it completely. :thumbsup:

#32 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

i bet there will be alot more cases of people filling up and driving off without paying .
if you think its depressing filling your mini up i usually have to fill my lorry up at least every other day(its got a 350 litre tank)!!!

#33 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

if you think its depressing filling your mini up i usually have to fill my lorry up at least every other day(its got a 350 litre tank)!!!

Blimey & how much does that cost?? ..... about £460 ish I suppose?? :thumbsup: ..... OK, that man wins!! :thumbsup:

#34 MateyTheMini

MateyTheMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Welsh Rarebit Minis

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Around my area its 1.29 at the cheapest and thats Tesco, Shell garage are now 1.35 per litre :thumbsup:

#35 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

People who are on facebook should join this casue:

http://www.causes.com/causes/434764

its called Keep fuel Below 1.00 Per Litre.

this cause is trying to combat the fuel rise by creating an online petition which it plans to send off to No 10 soon when the required amount of signatures are on the petition. please find the link below for it and please sign!!!

http://www.petitiono...-petrol-tax/637

Rich

dont mean to be rude but your wasting calories just typing, calories your going have to replenish by driving to the supermarket.

its £1.26 for standard unleaded from shell around here. shell are generally the cheapest in brum usually the same price as the supermarkets but i no where i prefer to go.

#36 RobFox

RobFox

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

for every 1p rise in petrol the government makes an extra £500 million pounds.

I have an idea that I may talk to my MP about to allow public transport providers to claim back a large amount of their fuel duty, providing they spend it on new services and maintenance rather than dividends. It would make public transport a hell of a lot cheaper and allow providers to put more money into developing better services. I'm assuming they currently pay duty, I haven't looked into it yet.

I havn't looked into the above but I was thinking about something simular today.

VAT is added onto products that are considered luxuries. Now its debatable whether fuel is a necessity ( business & work ) or a luxury ( casual drive, drive to cinema or w/e ).
However if VAT increases does that not mean that the price of fuel will also increase since it is taxed. This means the average cost of running buses and other means of public transport will increase. ( If they do pay VAT ) However I beg the question that when is public transport ever considered to be a luxury good? Infact I would say that a car is a luxury and that public transport is an inferior good.

If public transport is considered an inferior good then it will only be used when people have to, and more than likely when it is a necessity. Therefore the government should allow public transport to obtain their fuel with no VAT.
This would reduce the average cost, which could be passed onto the consumers ( us mugs ). If the prices are lower then more people would demand public transport instead of road space ( through using a personal car ) leading to less congestion.

Less congestion, cheaper public transport, everybody wins?!

and yes, I was in a transport economics lesson when I thought this up :thumbsup:

Edited by RobFox, 10 January 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#37 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

Wouldn't it be a real eye opener if all round the country at the same time classic mini owners pulled into their closest big petrol station and just sat infront of all the pumps so no-one else could use them. I mean that would be a nightmare for them & put a dent in the oil companies profits for sure.
Who's up for it? :thumbsup:

#38 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Wouldn't it be a real eye opener if all round the country at the same time classic mini owners pulled into their closest big petrol station and just sat infront of all the pumps so no-one else could use them. I mean that would be a nightmare for them & put a dent in the oil companies profits for sure.
Who's up for it? :thumbsup:

its not so much the oil companies fault, its the governments fault for the rise in fuel

#39 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Therefore the government should allow public transport to obtain their fuel with no VAT.

Companies don't pay VAT on things they use in providing goods or services to their customers. Well they do but they claim it back. So public transport companies already are excused the VAT on their fuel, and the VAT on the fuel duty they pay but in terms of taxation levels VAT is nothing compared to fuel duty. Fuel duty is a separate tax and is massive at something like 60p per litre, paid on fuel that costs about 48p per litre. It's interesting to note that we pay VAT on road fuels, as well as fuel duty and VAT on the fuel duty, but there is no VAT or duty on aviation jet fuel. Which is more of a luxury?

#40 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Burnad, what would happen if I took in a 7.5 gal jerry can to the petrol station?

It would take the plate off the car / bike you turned up in and charge you according to that.
Or have a pump that's its impossible to get a car to, and charge 10p duty, and only allow it to fill 10litres at a time.

Its complicated, but it could work and better for everyone.

#41 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Blimey & how much does that cost?? ..... about £460 ish I suppose?? :thumbsup: ..... OK, that man wins!! :thumbsup:

i average about 6.4 to 7.0 miles to the gallon!! marginally worse than my 1380 lol!

#42 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

would be good for me if my tax exempt mini got no duty on the fuel, as it's tax exempt. I could buy it for my other mini which is a 89 and then transfer the fuel over lol

#43 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

I personally think they should get rid of road tax, and put it all on the fuel, that way people are getting charged for how much they use the roads, and also how much they are polluting. Maybe charge an extra 5p per litre for 4x4's. All done off ANPR.

Its a setup which in the current day could work very easily, and be much fairer and sensible than the current setup.

You see, I don't see how that would be beneficial for me, Our family business has very low overheads due to us being based from home, we use our van's a hell of a lot travelling between appointments, it would cripple us if road tax was scrapped and the extra put on fuel costs. We would probably have to raise our prices to cover the extra costs, which in turn would see a reduction of customers.

I don't really agree with 4x4 driver being penalised either, not just because I own a thirsty V8 4x4, but for the fact that there's no doubt loads of 4x4's on the road which pollute less than some big saloon cars, so making every 4x4 driver pay more is just ludicrous. Hasn't it been proven that including manufacturing co2 emission, it's actually less polluting to manufacture and run a 4x4 than it is for example a Toyota Prius?

Deep down, everyone knew fuel prices were on the up from 2000, and the bandwagon that is climate change hasn't really helped either. I remember when Diesel was 20-30p cheaper per litre than petrol, and that wasn't really that long ago. It's all about demand. More and more diesel cars being sold = more duty on diesel. The more we get our heads battered about climate change, the more costly fuel gets.

What really annoys me about the whole climate change thing and less polluting cars, is places like America and India. Since the 40's & 50's most of the cars produced in America were big engined, either 6 or 8 cylinders which weren't very refined and very thirsty and probably had high emissions, in places like India, when you see on TV the amount of smog due to badly maintained engines etc, and we get penalised in this small country and get pressurised to buy 70mpg + Citroen C1's and the likes. Madness.

#44 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

as for all the suggestions that we scrap road tax and put even more on fuel- does anybody really think they will save anything??
you just know we'll all get stitched up even more.

#45 Remylebleu

Remylebleu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: On my ones :)

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

1.24 in birmingham roughly....my mates a farmer £148 for a litre of bull sperm....this isnt going to help anyone but atleast we dont have to run cars on bull sperm :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users