#1 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

I have put my sub in the boot of the mini, but now when i have it turned up you can hear the mini shaking outside around the boot area, is it just a case of me needing to sound deaden the boot? cheers

#2 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

Have you ported the boot through the parcel shelf or is the boot sealed from the cabin? You should line the boot, boot floor, rear 1/4 panels inside the boot (you'll need to move the petrol tank), upright seat back, underneath & on top of the parcel shelf. Also make sure the boot has a nice tight seal & the number plate is secured properly. For a good example take a look in the ICE Builds Project section & see the sound deadening other people have applied.

http://www.theminifo...howtopic=187782

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

^^^ that^^^

there is no point having the sub in the boot if the sound can't get into the cabin

#4 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

When you say ported, do you basically mean make sure there is plenty of holes in the parcel shlf for the sound to get through?

#5 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

If you look under the parcel shelf in the boot you should see 2 holes near the center (about 2") and either side should have holes for speakers (5.25"). Because you have your sub in the boot you need to make sure there are no speakers in the holes & the parcel shelf board has holes in it to let the air pressure from the boot enter the cabin. If you have factory speakers or speakers with grills then just remove the speakers & leave the grills secured to the board.

#6 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

So to recap:
No speakers on the rear shelf.
Some nice holes in the rear shelf.
Deaden as much as you can/ can afford.
And
Adjust the boot lock to insure the boot when locked is tight against the rubber seal.

:)

Edited by Ruckus, 20 August 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#7 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

cool today then or tomorrow i will remove my speakers from the parcel shelf and put them somewhere and find smewhere for wiring, then next weekend i will get aloud of sound deadening and go crazy, whats the best stuff to use for the job?

#8 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Dynamat if you can afford it or go to a hardware store (Screwfix is cheaper) & get some grey roof flashing tape in 10m rolls. Large areas like the seat back might need 2 layers.

#9 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

i have a sub in my boot and seems fine to me and speaker in the rear parcel shelf and they are perfectly fine i just run bass to the sub not to the speakers,

ashley

#10 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

Davies - It's not about what frequencies each speaker gets (well it is but thats another topic) it's about the air pressure from the sub in the boot pushing a large volume of air up underneath the speakers when they are trying to move down at a different rate, which will cause the sound to be destorted from the parcel shelf speakers & kill them quicker. You can have speakers in the parcel shelf but it pays to box them in underneath & port the sub through different holes.

#11 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

mine dont distort i have good rear parcel self speakers, i dont know if that helps lol, and the sub is sitting in a box underneath the two holes but i have a parcel self liner on the top, my sub isnt turned up madly high as i am not a chav lol, just to make it louder so the speakers dont have to do much work,

ashley

#12 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

cheers for that, i haven't got mine turned up much either as like you ash im not a chav (well i hope so anyway) i think what i might do is just make sure there is plenty of holes in the parcel shelf and just see how it goes from there, i think that might stop the rattling a little anyway because the air will have somewhere to go anyway

#13 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

yes and then if it doesnt work which it should just move the speakers like they said, as it should be fine no need to have it up so loud that you ant hear the word of the song lol,

ashley

#14 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

did you sound proof your boot aswell or not bothered?

#15 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

Lee trust me, listen to Ashley, his has been fine since he put it in his boot, and his brother had the same sub in his mini boot before, and it was fine in both. They both had different speakers so i'm sure it will be fine with what ever you have! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users