54 replies to this topic

#31 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

the reason the front speakers are in is i do alot of motorway driving and only get used maily then and i have just passed but my dad and mates have had cars long before me and been helping with them, so yes i passed nearly a year ago now but i have been helping fit them and everything long before that, what the hell has image got to do with sound?
its not hard to set up a sound system and that, sorry i dont hav 5.1 surround sound in my mini as it dont want it to weight loads, but as he isnt having it up load it shouldnt b to bad and he said h is making boxes for them so they wont get damaged,

#32 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

it personal opinion in the end of the day and he can feel free to do what he wants i was just trying to save him time and just say that mine isnt bad,

#33 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

the reason the front speakers are in is i do alot of motorway driving and only get used maily then and i have just passed but my dad and mates have had cars long before me and been helping with them, so yes i passed nearly a year ago now but i have been helping fit them and everything long before that, what the hell has image got to do with sound?
its not hard to set up a sound system and that, sorry i dont hav 5.1 surround sound in my mini as it dont want it to weight loads, but as he isnt having it up load it shouldnt b to bad and he said h is making boxes for them so they wont get damaged,

This post just goes to prove how little you know about audio... If you don't know what imaging is and staging then I think a little google and some reading are a good idea. I've never heard a 5.1 system in a mini and in fact due to the small size of a mini's cabin I don't think it would work.

The best systems are simple not multi speaker show car installs. Again it look like you think with Halfords logic here.

One of my fellow Sound off Judges 'Chris' has one if not this best sounding mini system in the county right now. It's also a stripped out track day car. Audio done right does not have be a ton of kit.

Look in the Ice build section take a look at my car and see how it's done right and simple.
The next time your at any show am at, come and have a look/listen. I'm 100% sure that you will be blown away and realise that all a mini system has to be is a single set of front speakers and a small sub...

Edited by Ruckus, 21 August 2011 - 06:20 AM.

#34 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

This post just goes to prove how little you know about audio... If you don't know what imaging is and staging then I think a little google and some reading are a good idea. I've never heard a 5.1 system in a mini and in fact due to the small size of a mini's cabin I don't think it would work.

The best systems are simple not multi speaker show car installs. Again it look like you think with Halfords logic here.

One of my fellow Sound off Judges 'Chris' has one if not this best sounding mini system in the county right now. It's also a stripped out track day car. Audio done right does not have be a ton of kit.

Look in the Ice build section take a look at my car and see how it's done right and simple.
The next time your at any show am at, come and have a look/listen. I'm 100% sure that you will be blown away and realise that all a mini system has to be is a single set of front speakers and a small sub...

To me it sounds like in that paragraph that all that information is your opinion, just like what Ashley was doing.
YOU might think it will blow him away, but he might think it's not very good.
just like a few pages back when you/someone said the same thing about Ashley's sound system.

just pointing it out thats all :-

#35 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:51 AM

cheers for the help everyone, firstly ashleigh i am listening to ash and think that is what i am going to do except i think i am going to make some pods up for them as it will only take a few minutes and wont cost much either, but i will hold out on the sound deadening and just see how it sounds as i am not going to be chavving round with the base turned right up like some do

and you Mr! you have some explaining to do!
why didnt you tell me you had another mini :o i saw it on the mini photo album! :o

#36 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

To me it sounds like in that paragraph that all that information is your opinion, just like what Ashley was doing.
YOU might think it will blow him away, but he might think it's not very good.
just like a few pages back when you/someone said the same thing about Ashley's sound system.

just pointing it out thats all :-

Yes good point well made, but I didn't say it was the best thing in the world or the only way to do things. i will wait until he has heard the system and him to make his own mind up.
But i very sure he will feel like that if his ears are working ;). Think very high end home audio experience, .

I have competed for many years with my Mini's, S2000 and BMW and had many professional (paid) audio judges hear my systems (One judge for example is a classically trained musician in a symphony orchestra!). At first i made many mistakes and i had some funny preconceptions about what audio in a car should be.

But I listened to those who had more experience than me and learned what worked and what did not. But i didn't just take their word for it I put it in to practice and did the installs and then made more mistakes, And learned and moved forward. I never thought i knew it all and still don't. and this is after 20 years of being 'into' car audio...

Even my latest system has a mistake which i'm having to compensate for with EQ'ing and phase tricks. It means i going to have to rebuild part of the install, but people that i respect have confirmed my fears. So i listen and move forward.
To many they wont be able to hear the problem, and if they do they still might not think it was a problem. Its all about what you want from a system and how much effort your willing to put in to it.

But i do know somethings as fact, mainly technical things etc. And a sub firing in to the same (tight) air space as a set of full range speakers will do damage to the speakers and will push them about and do damage to them. Even if the sub is at low volume, if its enough to hear it then its enough to push the Full range speaker about.

[edit for citation]:

http://www.talkaudio...-6x9s-and-subs/

http://www.talkaudio...h-subs-in-boot/

http://www.talkaudio...y-above-my-sub/

http://www.talkaudio...speaker-debate/

Edited by Ruckus, 21 August 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#37 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

so how about all these cars at shows with loads of speakers thinking there cool because they have loads lol, i was messing with the 5.1 surround sound it was sarcasm, as i said i was just saving him time and he is putting boxes around the speakers and can feel free to do what he like and i can as well i was just saying that mine is fine how it is and didn't need to do it, and i haven't spent loads on my sound system as i don't want to i just got good stuff at a good price my speakers are turned up more than the sub so i can hear my song and i will try your way and see how it sound when i am at home just my placing a pace of wood there and see if its sound any different it propyl will but i was just trying to save time and hlp him as i know i have meet lee and he inst a chav with a massive sub booming down the road lol,

#38 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

If you do an install correctly you can have a system very loud, but with the windows up and bearly hear it outside :)

Yes if you must have rear speakers then simple sealed pods or even some ice cream tubs around the drivers will stop any problems. :)

#39 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

dog bowls are good as to make speakers bassy if you could get them big enough lol
well that what i have heard lol

#40 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

Lol yes they help me increase capacity for my front mids without pushing too far in to the cabin with pods.

But really mids should have some like 40 litres to work in!

#41 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

so how big does it have to be like measurements?

#42 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

cheers for the help everyone, firstly ashleigh i am listening to ash and think that is what i am going to do except i think i am going to make some pods up for them as it will only take a few minutes and wont cost much either, but i will hold out on the sound deadening and just see how it sounds as i am not going to be chavving round with the base turned right up like some do

why didnt you tell me you had another mini :o i saw it on the mini photo album! :o

haha, ye i was going to show you at MITP but never saw you in the end so couldn't haha

#43 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

haha, ye i was going to show you at MITP but never saw you in the end so couldn't haha

we both saw you mate i shouted Ashleigh and see was in front of you and you looked at me but i have had a hair cut since i have seen you so might not of noticed lol,

#44 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

Well we saw you, and i was standing right in front of you! :L
your blind :mmkay:

#45 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

No go on rear speakers, plays with the staging of the sound, no need for rear fills, save the money for those rear speakers and get some better fronts, and if u really want rear fills then I would amp the front speakers and run the rears off the deck,

Single sub and some powered 5.25 or 6.5's comps is the way to go, more power you push on the sub, a good amount for the tops will need also, a little overpowered will give some nice headroom and then tune the tops so that the sound from them doesn't over do the sub output, for a nice balance in mid/tops to bass output.

I'm not a fan of 6x9's period

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users