227 replies to this topic

#46 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Ok got some Gloss Black "Leyland paint for my test...only went and got the non drip! anyway thinned it with White spirit 50/50 and gave it a good old stir and shake so went all pure liquid.

Sprayed it using my Earlex Spraystation and a 1.0m Needle. coveage was excellent on the panel (white side of old washing machine) but ws a little orange peel after the fourth coat, this could be me not leaving enough time between coats though!

Ok anyone who knows me will know I have zero patience.....so did half my bonnet as well that was in blue celly. Coverage again was excelent and with a visible gloss...BUT again slightly orange peel...however this ws like ten minutes after spraying so may settle.

So.....

I then decied to have a little spray on a rear panel on the mini, this was over part primed and some normal keyed pain....went on very smooth did two coats so waitng to see what it looks like in the morning and if I can clear the junk by the door of the garage will push car out to see it in the daylight!

|I am not yet 100% convinced that spraying this is best ... however on the roller painting forum they say it does not really matter how the paint goes on as long as it is smoothed , buffed poished etc afterwards.

I will say that I sprayed a large panel approx size of bonnet (a good four coats) half me bonnet (4 coats) rear quater |(three coats) and rear side panel (2 coats) and only used approx 250ml of paing and 250 ml of White Spirit.

Will attempt pictures but there is dust and stuff and alittle embarased at that to be honest....so maybe pics after a little buff etc.

Sorry once agasin for the Hi jack but its along similar lines

Cheers

BM

Edited by Big Man, 06 July 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#47 Wingman77

Wingman77

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:42 AM

Guys there are sites all over the place about rollering a car, one of my favs is this one, an aussie commodore (vauxall to you guys), take a look

http://uob-community...u.au/~dmwilson/

Wingman

#48 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Cheers Wingman.... principals the sme I believe but Im trying to use normal Gloss paint

Thing I need to re read the other thread a member did his mini in green....I have a few issues with my paint !

#49 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hurry up BM, I'm ready to start painting Ogy and need to know if I'm going to the builders merchants or the chandlery for the paint! :lol:

#50 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Qucikie.....

100% Gloss (non drip) excellent coverage dips and orange peel

2-1 Spray - Excellent coverage - Orange peel

3 - 1 Spray - Low coverage - three coats good gloss

2 - 1 Roller - Excellent coverage, smooth and gloss

Jury out - if and I mean If i can improve my spraying technique this is the most cost effective and time efficent way. As 2-1 Spray was good but slight orange peel....however sometime it went on perfectly with a high gloss that I suggest would need minimal work.

Either way I will be no doubt be purchasing Dulux Trade Hi Gloss for painting my mini. Used half a time of 750ml (not 1ltr as I previosuly posted) may use a combination of 2-1 Roller and 3-1 Spray

All spraying - rollering was done on keyed paint and or over high bulild primer.

I have peviously sprayed hammerite and it left a texture like a 18o g sandpaper and was really tough once dry to flat, this gloss seems okay to be honest.

Cheers

BM

#51 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

Great update dude! ;D

Seems it definitely has some potential and for the price it seems rude not to give it a bash!
What are the drying times like when rolling / spraying on? I don't have an indoor area so I'll be under a gazeebo.

Also what did you choose to thin with in the end?
Did you use a light load on the roller, as per the normal suggested roller painting method?

Last test is going to be durability to knocks and scratches and then long term resistance to elements.

Thanks for the data so far!

#52 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Great update dude! ;D

Seems it definitely has some potential and for the price it seems rude not to give it a bash!
What are the drying times like when rolling / spraying on? I don't have an indoor area so I'll be under a gazeebo.

Also what did you choose to thin with in the end?
Did you use a light load on the roller, as per the normal suggested roller painting method?

Last test is going to be durability to knocks and scratches and then long term resistance to elements.

Thanks for the data so far!

Agree it would be rude not to give it a go...I will use different gloss thought I will use Dulux Trade Hi Gloss Black for no other reason that I do recall a coach oainter recomending it on another forum.

As for drying time...totally dry to sand was an overnight job

For re application of second and even third light coat when spraying about 1/2 hour (3-1 ratio) For roller I have left it overnight.

I only used one roller full of paint (once in the tray) for half a bonnet. So light to medium loading, Once it was covered loads of bubbles but lightly went over it a few times and bubbles just popped leaving, but the lighter the better and next time will not be worried abut coverage too much as opposed to finish so LIGHT is the way to go.

Thinned it using white spirit as went for cheapest option first. No need to try thinners (unless somebody else suggests why) as white sprits worked well.

The only thing I would do different and will do when i start the whole thing again is prep, not because of the mess but because I had a few deep swirls and deep pitting form previous messing about that I should really have sorted before having a go..but could not wait!

Will get mrs BM to take a few pics of the bonnet and post them....but they have not been sanded other than 400grit (once) between one coat etc. so is not a true representation of what it could look like when finished.

As for durability ...its a gloss paint so should be okay me thinks.

Cheers

BM

Edited by Big Man, 09 July 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#53 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Interesting stuff, I've had good sucess with rustoleum and used celly thinners (20%) to thin it as I found it dried alot quicker (touch dry in about 30 mins which on a warm day made it a bit of a rush to finish the coat :P)

#54 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Interesting stuff, I've had good sucess with rustoleum and used celly thinners (20%) to thin it as I found it dried alot quicker (touch dry in about 30 mins which on a warm day made it a bit of a rush to finish the coat :P)

Show us then! ;D
How many coats did you use, how long ago, how well has it held up to the elements, etc?

#55 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

No problems :)

I repainted Pootle last April, but sadly he is still in bits in a barn (but coming home in the next week :) )

I used 2 coats and went from
Posted Image
to after 1 coat
Posted Image
and after a 2nd
Posted Image
and after a wet sand and polish
Posted Image
(and a few bits bolted back on )
Posted Image
Also has a retro retrims interior :D
Posted Image

Painting the outside, inside, engine bay, boot and inner front arches I have used up all 2.5lts, it could do with a couple more coats on the outside, but for £50, I can't complain at all

Edited by craig 1010cc, 11 July 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#56 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Now that looks fantastic...I take it you rollered? sandng between coats?

Cheers

BM

#57 jeebz

jeebz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

How good is the finish close up?

#58 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

How much sanding are people doing?
Between each coat or after a few?
And with what grit paper?

Thanks, Jake

#59 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

On my test panels i used 400g between coats.......now starting from afresh so prepping panel with high build primer to get rid of marks that were under the paint....

I have decided to do a combination of spraying an rollerpainting starting with roller then a very light spray over the top.

I use a detail sander with 400g pads as it easy and saves time. I could do 1200 on my orbital but that may be a bit smooth

Or I may not be lazy and use hand 800 it all depends how smooth it is after aplication.

but remember on this thread there are about three paint types being dicussed...i will use Dulux trade hi gloss...the above was rustroleum and the original was hammerite before we hijacked the thread !

#60 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Now that looks fantastic...I take it you rollered? sandng between coats?

Cheers

BM

It was indeed rollered, and was flatted back with 1200, then G3 mopped after the 2nd coat

A good guide here for those looking to roll

http://www.club80-90...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users