227 replies to this topic

#76 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

I tried using a gloss and it had a bit of orange peel.....when I get the orange dulux Hi Gloss (not the non drip !!!!) I may give a test panel a go.

1984 Mini 25 How did you manage polising wise? How did you do it?

Cheers

BM

Thats how mine turned out with just the 2 coauts
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/196491-you-cant-do-that/

And after the mini had been polished and 90% finished.
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/221117-finally-4-years-later/

As for polishing, I used 800/1000 used wet with soapy water, moped with g3 and then finished off with autoglym super resin polish and a micro fibre cloth.

Edited by 1984mini25, 24 July 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#77 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the update re polising...that was the only thing that was stopping me...full steam ahead now lol!

Excellent links by the way a really good job..well done.

#78 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Started on Roof.....Black Gloss.

One coat on thinned with white spirit ratio about two paint to to one (give or take) went on well not 100% coverage but no orange peel visible or bubbles. couple of bug got stuck but such is life!

Says leave it 16hrs between coats but think that time can be seriously reduced as garage is like an oven and paint was thinned.

I am expecting orange peel but not worried as found that oo grade wire wool takes it off real easily and the tiny swirl marks disapperar with 400g paper. Found the wire wool removes the orange peel (prepping a panel I had previously messed up with celly) with seriously minimal effort.

The bubbles looked "aaaahhhh bubbles" but went over them with the roller using only the weight of the roller......tiny bubbles.....went away and after about ten minutes no bubbles! Really happy...so far!

#79 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Cracking stuff, dude!

Just back from Dulux myself, couldn't match the colour I wanted but I think its close.
Shall be getting sanding and trying not to dehydrated soon!

Paint:
http://i1105.photobu...io/IMAG0450.jpg

#80 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Good colour chouice Skortchio - How many Ltr's and how much was it?

Cheers

BM

#81 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

If it goes on the car the colour its gone on the test piece I'll be happy ;-)
I bought 2.5L as I wasn't sure on the thin ratio plus I beat the crap out of my doors getting the chair in the car so plenty to touch up with.

Was £27 with the discount card (that they gave me at the same time, oddly).

Have a couple of L of thinner and a small tin of black for the top half, not yet sure how im going to reach the roof haha!

#82 ginsters

ginsters

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Cracking stuff, dude!

Just back from Dulux myself, couldn't match the colour I wanted but I think its close.
Shall be getting sanding and trying not to dehydrated soon!

Paint:
http://i1105.photobu...io/IMAG0450.jpg

Ooooo what color is that? Do you have a code?

#83 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yes, but It's mine! :P

The colour is called volbar, 7030R70B

#84 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Good result re discount card dude... Well I have two coats of Gloss on my roof and it is really shiney and gloss, will lightly sand it back and reapply another two coats.

As for doing the roof...sure you will be able to design a system to manage it! Still torn between a coule of "Orange" Colours

Well happy so far the results...very quick and easy and no mess (So far lol)

If onkly I could get the bloody thing to start !

Cheers
BM

#85 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Excellent stuff BM!

I'm going to start prep over the weekend propably, get the gazeebo up to keep the sunlight and flies off and hopefully be rolling next week.

As for the roof, my 'system' was going to be paint at much as I can see and get a huge decal for the rest! :lol: But seriously, I'll probably ask for help on that one. Either that or it's Mission Impossible style, suspened over the car.

Shame about the motor, but at least once it's done it will look great while not going anywhere! ;D

#86 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Now the mission impossible style sounds a laugh but sods law will mean your rope will be too long and you will end up stuck to the roof like a fly! :shy:

I have a ratty old wooden shed (garage) and I burned a couple of citronella candles to keep flys to a minimum (also like the smell)

As for the motor it is something simple (on other thread) as dont get a spark sure i will sort it out eventually !

I rollered a panel outside but used thinners and not white spirit and it dried far too quickly and looked terrible...so thin mine with white spirit now.

:highfive:

#87 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

As you're getting a dab hand at roofs I may get your to do it! ;D

I've got a garage but if the car goes in it then I'm either stuck inside for the duration or can't get around it >_< need a wider garage!

#88 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Update 20 minutes ago!!- - - - Do not use wire wool to get rid of blemishes on Gloss Paint!!!!!! I used wire wool on celly and it was brilliant at getting rid of blemishes and orange peel, however on gloss it shows every tiny scratch and swirl....so had to go over with 400g to get rid.

So after the above which really is probably not as bad as i first thought I have put another coat on, this time a thicker coat with only the tiniest drop of white spirit..Why? welll on the corners of the roof where there the thin coats overlapped it is a blemish free mirror finish....so reckon a thivker coat may be the way forward on the whole roof...either way it cant hurt so will see how it looks tomorrow after a night shift !

Would not call my self a dab hand...yet lol !!

had an idea re your roof just get a longer roller handle the metal ones and put a bend in the shaft hey presto! failing that have a drive up here :genius:

Just found the smiley things lol

#89 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Wire wool! You animal. :D

I can see what you mean about the thicker coat, will give it a little more coverage on the little imperfections, not sure how much it will effect drying times.

Did consider using an extension arm on the roller, would make it tricky to see the finish but a massive vinyl should fix that!

#90 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Yeah the wire wool worked brilliant on celly...really got rid of orange peel and pitting. And I mean even the tinyest bit of pitting really quick....also think it best to leave it a couple of days befores sanding between coats to make sure its mega dry and set.

Not checked on roof yet as working but interested to see what it looks like when the thicker coat settles. Either way more layers the better as will be flatting and polisihng anyway

Im actually considering a full roof decall as there is a chap on here that does then and they look realyl good quality and good value too, but I have enough trouble using duct tape so would end up in mess no doubt !

Edited by Big Man, 27 July 2012 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users