HEY WHO CHANGED MY THING ABOVE MY AVTAR!!! Cheeky bugger! :proud:

#92 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

OK....The thick layer did not dry too well...roller marks etc.......so went over again this morning with a thinned black.....1 paint to 2 white spirits.. very glossy finish.

Next step will be tomorrow when I will give the roof a good flatting. Think lots of thinned coats as opposed to a few thick coats may be way forward...

BM

#93 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'll see if I can find out, I don't know who would do such a thing???!!

(ahem) :ohno:

#94 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Bloody Admin..Shifty the lot of them !!! :lol:

#95 cliche

cliche

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

bawahaha ! :lol:

#96 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just bought 2.5ltr of High Gloss RAL 2008 Orange....bonnet and boot getting done this afternoon !

#97 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Update.....

painted the bonnet / Boot lid / FNS Wing 50 / 50 White spirit to liquid gloss

Bonnet - off the car hanging on wall in garage - coverage 99% with one coat (over hi build primer). Leaving a good shine. Loaded the roller three times. Tiny tiny dimples but may settle - NO Bubbles

Boot lit - hanging next to bonnet - Over blue keyed celly - coverage 30% lots of transparancy also a few pin head blemishes where the Gloss has reacted with the boot - I do think it is down to me not prepping and cleaning the boot 100% will see how it is when dry - Loaded roller three times.

Front nearside wing - On car - over high build primer - Coverage 100% no marks nor blemishes good gloss - Loaded roller once.

Okay I think I have finally cracked it....using the old saying a little goes a long way.... seriously the less paint the better the finish...happy with the bonnet as it looks good....boot well thats my fault so cant complain ....wing is truly amazing I am so happy after the one applicaiton...

I think I may have been putting too much paint on hence tiny dimples, not so much orange peel just tiny tiny tiny er...orange peel! (does that make sense) the wing has turned out great and after one application of a medium loaded roller so will definatly be keeping to 50 / 50 with a little going a long way!

Cheers

BM

#98 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Pics man! Show us your work! ;-)

This is great news, as I have lots of white spirit and haven't started yet so can stock up on high build :D

#99 jeebz

jeebz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Big news from the big man! Just ordered a a load of more primer to cover the car in for when I get back. After 8 pages and different paint from the title, progress is finally being made.

#100 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Pics up tomorrow - the bonnet is looking fantastic...second coat on and really smooth save for the odd dust spec. Will post pics tomorrow of it after the one coat.

many light coats at 50 / 50 is def the way to go with gloss !!!

#101 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Nice work BM! Keep that roller arm flexed for my roof :lol:

I've spent the day filling, marking imperfections and pulling bits off the car ready to get cracking. I think (hope) I've got the rear valance smooth now and repaired a few spots of weak weld too. If the metal arrives tomorrow I might get a bit crazy and tub the arches!

Started sanding and I have to admit, what Rover lacked in finish quality they definitely made up for in lacquer depth!

Going to pick up a 25m roll of ally oxide paper tomorrow along with 4 tins of high build and assuming I win one the of the gazebo's I'm watching I'll be set to start rolling around the weekend!

#102 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Attached File  2012-07-31 14.16.36.jpg   30.63K   36 downloads

Bonnet one coat

Attached File  2012-07-31 14.16.20.jpg   38.96K   32 downloads

Boot one coat (now has two coats but poor prep means I will have to flatten)

Attached File  2012-07-31 14.16.12.jpg   26.55K   21 downloads

Bonnet form different angle.

#103 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

All of the above were taken after one coat of Gloss RAL 2008 All have only got two coats on now (due to work) but i do need to flatten the boot as I did not prep properly and the paint has covered well but has a few "Pin Holes" where somehing on the panel has stopped the paint form sticking. Only approx three or four pin holes but a light 400g should sort it out.

Cheers

BM

#104 Big Man

Big Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Nice work BM! Keep that roller arm flexed for my roof :lol:

I've spent the day filling, marking imperfections and pulling bits off the car ready to get cracking. I think (hope) I've got the rear valance smooth now and repaired a few spots of weak weld too. If the metal arrives tomorrow I might get a bit crazy and tub the arches!

Started sanding and I have to admit, what Rover lacked in finish quality they definitely made up for in lacquer depth!

Going to pick up a 25m roll of ally oxide paper tomorrow along with 4 tins of high build and assuming I win one the of the gazebo's I'm watching I'll be set to start rolling around the weekend!

Cant stress enough buddy the need to prep the panels as the my first coat on the bonnet is really very good!

RE gazebo....I had a look at the GROW TENTS that some people use with Hydrphonics to grow stuff. Sadly the one i had in mind that was going to be destroyed was not big enought for a mini.....however Keeping my eyes open as I missed out on a huge one ..size of my garage!!! Black on the outside and kinda foil lined so nice and warm etc....and really solid frame.

keep the updates coming Skorchio and fully expect your to be finished before mine lol !!!

#105 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Looking sharp there, BM.

I'm about 3/4 done sanding the bulk of the car, then need to go round the bits the sander won't reach before high build goes on.
Getting keen about laying some paint on now!

Still using a 50:50 mix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users