#46 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Joe,

Here is the game plan. I need cash. No problem.

So the engine needs to come out. Build the rotiserie chicken a frames to support the mini during welding. This is where the project will slow down along with the harsh winter ahead. Thanks for the motivation.

30 mm

#47 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Good job 30 mm!

You'll see the winter is long, long wait!

#48 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

Help,

Im looking at my MINI restoration book at removing the gear from the eninge. (it connects stick shift to the engine). In the manual it says to drift the roll pin. I thought it was an allen key from IKEA that held this thing in place but it isnt. How can I remove these two pins.

Thanks

30 mm

#49 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi 30 mm. You'll need a thin pointed punch, some pliers and a hammer. When I released mine I put it in first gear as it gave better access. I think it was first anyway.. Lol
Is this the part you're on about?
Posted Image
Joe

#50 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Joe,

Thanks for this pic. Ill see if I cant get a good one on here. From your picture Im talking about the far left of the shaft.

I have the tools no problem. Ill put the car in 1st gear and see what that gives. Am I suppose to push the rod, hold with pliers on opposite side then shift the collar so the shaft can break away from the engine block.

#51 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

TO be honest.. It was a while ago when I took mine off.. I can't remember fully. I seem to remember just banging the pins out then pulling the collar back and twisting.. But honestly I can't remember properly..

Cheers. Joe

#52 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

ok. ill do my best here.

Your thread is awesome joe. Keep up the good pics and work!

#53 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Here is the part im trying to as the book says,

(drift the pin and pull back the collar to release the shaft

Attached Files

#54 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hey 30mm. You might find it easier to unbolt the gear changer from the car before you take it off the gearbox. You may be able to let it hang and get more clearance to get the pin out. Sorry I'm not more helpful. Haha. When I did it, it was ages ago. Thanks for the comment about my thread. Means allot to know someone is reading it lol. I have a website too. Www.mini30.info there are 100's of pictures of various stages of the build. Some maybe of use to you.. I dunno.. Lol.
Cheers Joe

#55 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Got the collar back today on the shaft and this came to mind.

Are there any pros and cons to having the subframe come out at the same time as the engine or should i take the engine out first? I figure I can drop the engine with the subframe and lift the car over the engine!

Let me hear your thoughts.

Best.

30 m

#56 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

that's the way I did it. really helps if you have a couple of people to help you though. just don't forget to disconnect the speed sensor from the gearbox (like I did) then wonderd why is it stuck.. lol also we managed to break one of the pipes off the petrol pump so I'd watch out for that too.
joe

#57 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Joe,

I have to steal some tools from work tomorrow cause of that huge bolt at the top of the subframe. Ill let you know how it turns out.

#58 joezone2001

joezone2001

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thanks Joe,

I have to steal some tools from work tomorrow cause of that huge bolt at the top of the subframe. Ill let you know how it turns out.

haha. I know the one! I raided my dads garage and found a box spanner. did the job well. I have nice new yellow pollybushes to put under my tower bolts when the time comes. if you look on that site I gave you a link for there are pictures of when I took my engine out. maybe usefully.. or maybe not. haha. a few people on here have done it that way. I think 'project cliff the mini 30' was done that way too. anyway. good luck with it mate. Joe

#59 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

SO this morning I got the air chissel out and the angle grinder to find more rust. Not sure if Ill buy a new panel for the hood and wings to set on or rebuild parts myself!!! Here is the progress. Engine might come out tonight.

Attached Files

#60 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

With help from my trusty mechanically inclined friend Frank we were able to acheive a milestone this evening. We were able to drop the engine out of the car with minor hick ups. Next will be to rid the car of all objects and the rear subframe.

enjo

30 mm

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users