13 replies to this topic

#1 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I took my Mini for it's first real test drive today! Everything checked out fine during the drive. No strange noises or vibrations.

But after returning home I discovered a few problems:

1. Coolant had been leaking from the relief valve on the cap. The level of the coolant in the radiator was at the proper level (just covering the square wire inside). Perhaps I had overfilled the radiator? The engine didn't seem too hot, and the temp gauge was below normal the entire time (just moved past cold). It was around 37 degrees outside. I installed a new water pump and thermostat. Also, the heater didn't put out much heat at all.

2. Oil is dripping from the bottom of the pinion housing and differential cover. There were no drips there before the drive. I've replaced the differential side cover seals and gaskets which were leaking beforehand. How can I be sure where these leaks are coming from? Judging from there location, it looks like the engine has to be removed to be able to change out the pinion housing and differential cover gaskets. I would hate to go through the trouble of replacing those only to find it was leaking from somewhere else. I checked and it doesn't look like the tappet covers or fuel pump are leaking.

3. The speedometer started out nice and smooth, but half-way through my drive it started bouncing around. This is probably a faulty speedometer cable. Replace or relube?

Thanks!

#2 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Did you change the small rubber o-ring under the o/s diff cover ?

#3 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

1. Coolant had been leaking from the relief valve on the cap. The level of the coolant in the radiator was at the proper level (just covering the square wire inside). Perhaps I had overfilled the radiator? The engine didn't seem too hot, and the temp gauge was below normal the entire time (just moved past cold). It was around 37 degrees outside. I installed a new water pump and thermostat. Also, the heater didn't put out much heat at all.

Coolant exits from the overflow pipe when overfilling.

First thing you have to do after the first fill up is to run the engine with the rad cap off and the heater valve open, let it warm up a few minutes so the air escapes, as the thermostat opens stop the engine and put the rad cap on.

2. Oil is dripping from the bottom of the pinion housing and differential cover. There were no drips there before the drive. I've replaced the differential side cover seals and gaskets which were leaking beforehand. How can I be sure where these leaks are coming from? Judging from there location, it looks like the engine has to be removed to be able to change out the pinion housing and differential cover gaskets. I would hate to go through the trouble of replacing those only to find it was leaking from somewhere else. I checked and it doesn't look like the tappet covers or fuel pump are leaking.

I'm used to smear som sealant when refitting the diff cover to avoid the problem..

3. The speedometer started out nice and smooth, but half-way through my drive it started bouncing around. This is probably a faulty speedometer cable. Replace or relube?

I'm against lubing these cables, more harm than good.. check its connected properly, if still no joy, just replace it.

#4 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Yes, I did replace the little 'O' ring under the side differential cover. The drive shafts and side covers are no longer leaking.

So, if the pinion housing and differential cover gasket need to be replaced, am I correct in assuming that the engine needs to come out? I might be able to change out the diff cover gasket in place, but definitely not the pinion cover, huh?

So no worries on the radiator if it was just overfilled...

And I'll order a new speedo cable.

#5 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

You might have an air lock, if your getting lack of heat from the heater, after you filled up leave rad cap off and run the engine till warm and with the heater in the open (hot position) whilst squeezing the bottom hose (wear a glove) and you should see bubbles of air comming from the coolant, do this until no more air comes out.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't see any advantage in running the engine with the rad cap off. Any air will find it just as easy to find it's way to the expansion header with the cap on. You may well see bubbles, but only because the unpressurised system allows boiling in the head. Are the oil leaks that bad? It is a Mini!
S

#7 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I don't see any advantage in running the engine with the rad cap off. Any air will find it just as easy to find it's way to the expansion header with the cap on. You may well see bubbles, but only because the unpressurised system allows boiling in the head. Are the oil leaks that bad? It is a Mini!
S

Granted, on my mpi i take the header cap off (no cap on rad) ;D

#8 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

The Mini left 4 drips on the cardboard underneath it. Three were approximately 3/8" in diameter and the 4th about 1" in diameter. Unfortunately, such leaks would cause the car to fail the base safety inspection.

Let me guess, they would pass your MOT?

#9 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

The Mini left 4 drips on the cardboard underneath it. Three were approximately 3/8" in diameter and the 4th about 1" in diameter. Unfortunately, such leaks would cause the car to fail the base safety inspection.

Let me guess, they would pass your MOT?

Yup they would, but maybe a good degrease n washof the engine before, would nelp for the (mot) ;D

#10 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

The oil drips showed up within minutes after parking the car, so I don't think even a good pressure washing would help.

I need to get under the car make sure where the leaks are coming from. If it is leaking from the pinion housing, the engine needs to be removed, correct?

#11 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

Its a job I'd not like to do under the car but a ramp might be a different story, I have read here that some say the diff will come out? not tried this method so can comment

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Not sure what you mean by pinion housing, DAM5219: the bit on the end that gives access to the final drive pinion & nut?

#13 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

I guessed the OP ment the diff casing so taylored my answer to that Ethel

#14 Woreign

Woreign

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

The is oil dripping below the pinion housing (DAM5219) and the differential housing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users