52 replies to this topic

#31 PaullyB

PaullyB

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

thanks for the picture. Did you consider a second tap in the other inlet to give an average reading between inlets? I'm trying to see if that would be a better option, if suitable.

#32 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

What's the difference with the mega jolt?

Megajolt...
Much more accurate ( no chain stretch, worn dizzy drive gear. No timing scatter at idle )
Wasted spark
Several outputs (for shift lights water injection etc etc etc)
Variable input (can use a temp sensor etc to adjust the map as required)
Limp home mode provided by the edits unit
Map or tps load sensing.
Hard and soft rev limiters
There's probably more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
That's not really a list off differences, more a list of functions of the mega jolt. Amethyst does near enough all of that too!

Well its a list of things that megajolt does that amethyst doesn't do. I will admit the map/tps one doesn't really count as the newer versions of megajolt do one or the other not both like the early versions.

#33 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

What's the difference with the mega jolt?

Megajolt...
Much more accurate ( no chain stretch, worn dizzy drive gear. No timing scatter at idle )
Wasted spark
Several outputs (for shift lights water injection etc etc etc)
Variable input (can use a temp sensor etc to adjust the map as required)
Limp home mode provided by the edits unit
Map or tps load sensing.
Hard and soft rev limiters
There's probably more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
That's not really a list off differences, more a list of functions of the mega jolt. Amethyst does near enough all of that too!

Well its a list of things that megajolt does that amethyst doesn't do. I will admit the map/tps one doesn't really count as the newer versions of megajolt do one or the other not both like the early versions.

Sorry, that's just not correct

#34 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

thanks for the picture. Did you consider a second tap in the other inlet to give an average reading between inlets? I'm trying to see if that would be a better option, if suitable.

No need. As its registers what the charger is pushing out. The pressure would be the same throughout the manifold.

#35 PaullyB

PaullyB

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I see. It's my first attempt at forced induction so I'm bluffing my way through. Thanks very much; I'll write up how it all goes.

#36 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

I've got the 22 page user manual in front of me and none of the above are mentioned in it.

But if you want to invent functionality then carry on, I can't be bothered trying to help answer people.

Edited by l_jonez, 18 December 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#37 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

umm.....Things that amethyst does that is on your 'differences' list
Out puts for shift lights etc
3 types of input- tps, map etc
Rev limiter
Limp home mode
More accurate? Prove it!
If you've got chain strech then its more than your ingniton timing thats out (i would worry more about cam timing)
Wasted spark ( not if you have the aldon ingnitor )

Couple of other things it does off the top of my head
Switchable engine modes whilst engine running ( can set your tailored engine mode, safe, normal, sport or what ever you wish to call it).
You can activate a built in immobiliser
Can set dwell, manifold pressure etc.

Not exactly 'inventing', more like 'owning and knowing how it works'

Do you own either mega jolt or an amethyst or are you just regurgitating what other people may have said.

Facts please, not fiction!

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 18 December 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#38 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

I see. It's my first attempt at forced induction so I'm bluffing my way through. Thanks very much; I'll write up how it all goes.

If you need any advice, just give me a shout

#39 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

umm.....Things that amethyst does that is on your 'differences' list
Out puts for shift lights etc
3 types of input- tps, map etc
Rev limiter
Limp home mode
More accurate? Prove it!
If you've got chain strech then its more than your ingniton timing thats out (i would worry more about cam timing)
Wasted spark ( not if you have the aldon ingnitor )
Couple of other things it does off the top of my head
Switchable engine modes whilst engine running ( can set your tailored engine mode, safe, normal, sport or what ever you wish to call it).
You can activate a built in immobiliser
Can set dwell, manifold pressure etc.
Not exactly 'inventing', more like 'owning and knowing how it works'
Do you own either mega jolt or an amethyst or are you just regurgitating what other people may have said.
Facts please, not fiction!

I have megajolt, first fitted back in 2005 before trigger wheel kits etc where available. I have fitted it to several minis and various cars. So yes I know what I'm talking about.

#40 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

You may know about fitting megajolts to several minis ( well done on that by the way) but obviously limited knowledge on amethyst. As what you have said is simply incorrect.

#41 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

cheers :)

I'll  admit i haven't had one in my hand or fitted one but i can research things and unless there's some documentation i cant find online? then i dont see how it can have user defined out puts (to activate  water injection, fans etc etc) or a variable input ( and i dont mean  map tps etc they are load sensors) when the user manual only lists 4 wires?

"The wires on the unit should be connected as shown below.

The unit may be destroyed if the wires are connected incorrectly.

Thick black: Earth
Red: +12v from a switched line
Yellow: Coil LT minus terminal (don't connect this yet)
Green: Sense input
Thin black: Immobiliser/map select input

Note: The immobiliser/map select wire is the one at the far end of the unit, adjacent 
to the green wire."

yes it has a rev limiter but its soft limiter rather than a hard limiter

Cant see how a limp home mode would work? also cant find any reference to it ?

Accuracy -  that can be debated all night long, but with things like chain stretch, cam drive gear wear and dizzy shaft wear id take a crank trigger every time and pretty much all car manufactures do. Also Megajolt offers a 10x10 map rather than an advance curve/plot which is altered by load

I cant find anything on wasted spark in relation to amethyst? you need two coils each firing a pair of plugs for wasted spark, its not possible with a single coil. 
Dual maps is nothing new, megajolt and others have done that for a long time

I'll admit the immobilizer does seem unique to amethyst

Megajolt/edis automatically works out the dwell and with a coil pack there is no need to alter it 

Im not sure what you mean by set manifold pressure? 

Edited by l_jonez, 19 December 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#42 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

cheers :)

I'll  admit i haven't had one in my hand or fitted one but i can research things and unless there's some documentation i cant find online? then i dont see how it can have user defined out puts (to activate  water injection, fans etc etc) or a variable input ( and i dont mean  map tps etc they are load sensors) when the user manual only lists 4 wires?
 "The wires on the unit should be connected as shown below.
 The unit may be destroyed if the wires are connected incorrectly.
 Thick black: EarthRed: +12v from a switched lineYellow: Coil LT minus terminal (don't connect this yet)Green: Sense inputThin black: Immobiliser/map select input
 Note: The immobiliser/map select wire is the one at the far end of the unit, adjacent to the green wire."

yes it has a rev limiter but its soft limiter rather than a hard limiter

Cant see how a limp home mode would work? also cant find any reference to it ?

Accuracy -  that can be debated all night long, but with things like chain stretch, cam drive gear wear and dizzy shaft wear id take a crank trigger every time and pretty much all car manufactures do. Also Megajolt offers a 10x10 map rather than an advance curve/plot which is altered by load

I cant find anything on wasted spark in relation to amethyst? you need two coils each firing a pair of plugs for wasted spark, its not possible with a single coil. 
Dual maps is nothing new, megajolt and others have done that for a long time

I'll admit the immobilizer does seem unique to amethyst

Megajolt/edis automatically works out the dwell and with a coil pack there is no need to alter it 

Im not sure what you mean by set manifold pressure?

Looks like you have Contradicted some of the statement you made, already.

Amethyst reads your manifold pressure and you can set how it responds to it.
Safe mode is something you program into it. Mine is set at safe mode at the moment as I am running the engine in.
The other items I have learnt you can do when I INSTALLED IT and got the info direct from Aldon ( can't everything from a book!)So unless you know more about Amethyst than Aldon do then you should really retract what you have stated.

On the subject of 'debating' accuracy. The mere fact you say its debatable means its not fact but opinion. You do not know for sure if it is more accurate. You have not tested either side by side.

Why do people state things as fact when it can only be opinion.

So as before, what you have said is incorrect.

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 19 December 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#43 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Ok I'll change it ..

Crank fired ignition is more accurate FACT, I put "debate" because you seem to argue a point regardless.

Oh ok so you meant you can set how it responds to the pressure not set the pressure,

In that case can you share the information from Aldon? And what you have learned when fitting as many members would benefit from it.
It seems silly to me that Aldon would leave out information on features etc in their user manual and in their advertising.

I'll retract anything I have said incorrectly when I see evidence.

#44 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Glad you agree. If nothing else your incorrect comparison has helped highlight how good Amethyst is. In a way I have already now shared the info form Aldon it in this post.

Retract when you have seen the evidence? Pity you didn't  have the same philosophy when you made the comparison! I deal in fact not hearsay

#45 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

You have provided no evidence other than saying it does things. Some form of documentation a picture, screen shot or anything to back up your claims would help.

I have no doubt its a good system and has its place in the market and never at any point said its not.
I provided a list of features provided by megajolt that amethyst does not offer or at least is not documented anywhere, since then you have argued that those features are offered by amethyst but not actually provided any evidence?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users