22 replies to this topic

#1 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Been having a few issues setting up the metro turbo engine in my clubby....(59d4 Dizzy with std metro electronics & ignition amp)

Set the timing at 7deg btdc at 1500rpm, vac disconnected, carb vac hole blocked (checked tdc actually lined up with the marks on the crank pulley)

Set the carb to base settings found in the Hif44 rebuild manual (jet guide flush with bridge, then 2 turns clockwise).

It runs but really lumpy at idle.

There was no difference when I plugged the vac pipe back on (seemed wrong).

I checked the vac advance by sucking on the pipe with the engine running - no change.  

I took the dizzy cap off (engine not running!) and sucked the pipe - no movement from the advance unit.

Took the vac unit off the side of the dizzy - sucked the stub pipe and the rod moves freely (proving this bit is OK?).

Tried moving the advance unit in the dizzy - seems it's stuck.  Got it moving but it's very graunchy and not smooth at all.

Presumably I've set the timing up with this set it it's max position (as it's got stuck there) which is obviously incorrect.

Going to pull the dizzy off the car tonight for further investigation.

So - question is, has anyone experienced this before and is it an easy thing to fix, pull apart, lubricate, get working again??

What would be the characteristics of running with a dizzy with a stuck vac-advance unit?

Cheers! :)

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Poor performance, bad fuel consumption, there used to be a felt pad in the centre of the shaft below the rotor arm which you lubricated with oil to work its way down the shaft and lubricate the advance unit, strip it down and lubricate it as required should sort you out.

Edited by KernowCooper, 25 July 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#3 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Poor performance, bad fuel consumption, there used to be a felt pad in the centre of the shaft below the rotor arm which you lubricated with oil to work its way down the shaft and lubricate the advance unit, strip it down and lubricate it as required should sort you out.

So fairly straightforward to strip down then?  Presumably it's just dried out?

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

The vac advance moves the baseplate the points are attached to. The oiled felt pad is really to reduce wear on the points heal. Some oil should make it into the dizzy from the engine. Stripping & cleaning is worth a go, you might find it's been tinkered with.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Not talking about the felt pad in the squeeze up fingers that runs on the points cam this is the small round one which fits directly below the rotor arm where the retaining screw is for the advance / retard unit, small amount of oil there finds its way down the shaft to lubricate the shaft to advance mechanism. Mind you most likely most of the felt pads are missing now so lightly oil the screw area.

#6 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Cheers for the replies guys - I'll be hopefully removing and disassembling it tonight.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

In conventional points dizzies I've seen this caused by the wrong screw being used to secure the points to the baseplate, jamming the plate in place.  The only similar thing I've heard about in a 64 was caused by the internal parts of the system coming apart.  The coils were all bent and stuck around each other.  You say a standard 59 dizzy with a standard amp, but a 59 is a points dizzy.  Which system do you have?

#8 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

http://www.somerford...page=page&id=74

you may be thinking of the 64D but I doubt you'll admit it

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

As said above 59 is the blue heel (sliding contact) version of the 45.  In all other respects it's the same as the 45 and the parts are interchangeable.

#10 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

interesting this difference between 45's and 59's comes up again today :)

I always thought it was the points was the difference.

DILLIGAF seems think all 45's had the sliding points with the pin on the baseplate.

Google did pull up that on MG and Landrover sites there is a lot of mention of some 45's having the sliding points.

But no mention on anything mini related

#11 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

In conventional points dizzies I've seen this caused by the wrong screw being used to secure the points to the baseplate, jamming the plate in place.  The only similar thing I've heard about in a 64 was caused by the internal parts of the system coming apart.  The coils were all bent and stuck around each other.  You say a standard 59 dizzy with a standard amp, but a 59 is a points dizzy.  Which system do you have?

59d4 dizzy - breakerless & ignition amp (not mounted on the dizzy body like later metro dizzys) - from 1982 Mk1 Metro turbo.  As std according to the Haynes manual.

Just had it apart and the advance plate had gummed up really badly.  Liberal amounts of GT85, a toothbrush and then a drop or 2 of oil and she's all good again!

#12 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

http://www.somerford...page=page&id=74

you may be thinking of the 64D but I doubt you'll admit it

From the diagram the 64D looks very like much like the MK2 Metro turbo dizzy I have in my spares box.

#13 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

so pretty much all the major parts suppliers are wrong then ;)

the POINTS they list for a 59D won't fit because its electronic :)

#14 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

ok :) well they are out there ;)

#15 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I give up :) I'll ask again why would every major mini parts supplier list points for a 59D if they are all electronic

Even Aldon list an ignitor unit to fit the 59D..seems a bit pointless (nearly a joke) if its already electronic

Are they all wrong and your right ???

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users