#16 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:42 AM

I am going to have a look into the dual battery and maybe use a yellow top deep cycle as a leisure for my audio, any idea if this would leave the normal battery fully charged for the starter even in the leisure battery died?

No it won't. The batteries are linked together and go flat together if the alternator output isn't sufficient. A split charge system assumes that you have an alternator big enough to charge both batteries simultaneously and power the load, it comes into it's own by disconnecting the batteries when the engine is stopped so that even though the aux battery goes flat, the cranking battery stays charged.

When you get into split charge systems and the sorts of current loads you are talking about, you need to pay particular attention to wire sizing and system design otherwise one battery will always charge and discharge much more "efficiently" than the other, which can result in you walking home.

If you are really serious about running a system like that, you're going to need a monster alternator and forget the split charge - I can't see where you'll get anymore advantage than if you did cutting out the battery box and fitting the biggest battery you can together with a big alternator.

Charging twin batteries in parallel (and in series for that matter) is a real dark art, and you'll never achieve much more than about 75-80% capacity, and that's with good system design.

#17 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

These are only pie in the sky figures better off with a good standard HP Deck and good quality speakers and here the different music as all this 1000w claim is usually one big loud muddle. I'll go with cooperman normal stereo in car and big system at home

And yes agree use a split charge relay where the leisure battery wont draw from the main battery, and as you said it wont power it when running, but its all about what really realistic in a Mini.

Edited by KernowCooper, 10 August 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#18 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

The sensible solution would be to leave the current alternator/battery as is...

...then fit a second battery to power the sound system. When it dies, show over.

Plug it in to a charger each night to top it up.

If you need a longer show add two batteries....

#19 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

These are only pie in the sky figures better off with a good standard HP Deck and good quality speakers and here the different music as all this 1000w claim is usually one big loud muddle. I'll go with cooperman normal stereo in car and big system at home

And yes agree use a split charge relay where the leisure battery wont draw from the main battery, and as you said it wont power it when running, but its all about what really realistic in a Mini.

Quite....1000 watts of noise would make your ears bleed...probably give you black curly teeth and long blond shoes too - what's realistic is audio of sensible proportions :-)

#20 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

...then fit a second battery to power the sound system. When it dies, show over.

Long extension lead or move to an area where they have trams and fit a pantograph pick up on the roof.

#21 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Long extension lead or move to an area where they have trams and fit a pantograph pick up on the roof.

smiley-laughing001.gif

#22 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

Flat again and I just came back from a 2 hour motorway drive.

Granada 90amp is next on he list and 0 or 4 gauge wiring all the way around.

#23 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Was this with the amps on? I would be putting a clamp meter on the battery and taking the engine revs up to 3000rpm and see if its showing a discharge.

If 70amps is not enough to charge the battery with the stereo on and the engine , I'd be looking at doing some tests.

#24 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Was this with the amps on? I would be putting a clamp meter on the battery and taking the engine revs up to 3000rpm and see if its showing a discharge.

When you say clamp meter would a multimeter do the trick?

#25 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Sorry clamp meter as in one that fits around the cable, no multimeter in the home range would have a high enough reading, and then your faced with starting the car and then disconnecting a battery cable to put in series which could take the alternator out.

DC Amps Clamp meters like these http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40

If you get one make sure they do DC Amps, some only do AC and one with a selectable 40/400a range

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users