Photo
- - - - -

Radio Display Problem (Philips Dc 349/60)

electrical

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abbeyben

abbeyben

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

hi,

I've just noticed that I previously listed this post in the wrong area..sorry!

I'm new to the forum and to mini's!  I have just bought a mini cooper 1998 and it still has all original equipment on it and is in good nick. However the display on the radio seems to have power going to it, but the display panel doesn't illuminate any numbers or the word 'code' is not visible when it's turned on. Has anyone seen this problem before and could someone offer me a solution?  many thanks.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

It may have had the wrong code entered a few times.  Every time you enter the wrong code the length of time it will stay blank for doubles, and it can easily get up to being blank for several hours if you keep trying.  Leave it powered for a few hours in this state (while driving obviously, or on a trickle charger, don't flatten your battery doing it!) and see if it clears itself, then you can enter the code.

Edited by Dan, 25 August 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#3 abbeyben

abbeyben

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Dan,  Thanks for the advice, which I'll try and let you know how I get on.

I've attached a couple of photos so that you can see the current display; it powers up and illuminates, but not as it should!Attached File  IMG_1193.JPG   56.24K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1192.JPG   41.21K   5 downloads

#4 abbeyben

abbeyben

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Dan, 

I did as you suggested and then held the LD key down when I turned the power on and the word code appeared, so thanks very much for the good advice.  However, the keys 1, 2 and 3 don't illuminate (the 4, 5 and 6 do) so I'm not sure if they are working correctly and hence I cannot enter the code number.  Could this be a problem with either the 5 amp fuse at the back of the radio or a problem with the other connections at the back of the radio?

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sounds like it's got a failed LED, but try cleaning the contacts for the removable panel.  The buttons should still work even if the lamp doesn't.

#6 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think the radio is functioning correctly.  Do you actually have the code?  Found this from a (Spanish) DC349 Philips manual:

- In case of any interruption of power to the unit, the display will see the word "CODE".
- Follow these steps:
1 Turn the unit (see the word "CODE").
2 Press the preset 1.
3 Press the or button until the display shows the first number of its Security Code.
4 Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all four digits of your code.
5 Press the preset button 1 to confirm your code.
- If the correct code is entered, beeps and starts running.
- If an incorrect code is entered, error beeps while the display
shows "WAIT" (wait). During this period, turn off the unit.
- Once you see the word "CODE" is displayed, you can enter the correct code.

I don't know what button #3 refers to as the "or button" but try the up / down key or any other key. 

Essentially it looks like Button 1 means next digit, and there will be another button (try them all) to scroll through the digits ie 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...

let us know how it goes.

I have attached the manual - if you know anyone who speaks Spanish perhaps they can do a better job than google translate.

Edited by L400RAS, 27 August 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#7 abbeyben

abbeyben

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Dan - thanks for the advice ref LED and ceaning contacts.

L400RAS - thanks for the advice ref code input procedure which I'll follow asap, as I have the code number.

Hope to find the time by the end of this week, so will update you when I've tried the above.

It's fun but a little frustrating!

many thanks.

#8 abbeyben

abbeyben

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

I've checked the connections at the back of the radio and also replaced the 5amp fuse, but the 1, 2, 3 keys are still not working to enable me to enter the code.  I received some info online....'I have inspected this issue with these vehicles many times and the issue is the circuit board inside of the radio. Unfortunately this is not repairable and requires replacement of the radio. Sometimes pulling the fuse in the back of the radio will make it work for a little while but it will go back they way it was in time'   Is this explanation likely to be correct?  I'd appreciate an opinion from someone who knows mini's well, before I replace the radio with a new one.

Edited by abbeyben, 01 September 2013 - 08:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users