67 replies to this topic

#16 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

I think I'm better of staying with the same size engine... Would be great having a bigger engine but right now still trying to come to terms a new engine is required especially when my engine was already in great shape and disappointed of my stupidity for not topping up my oil!!!!!

#17 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

Just a quick question did the oil light not come on if it lost oil pressure, and engines that run out of oil normally just dont cut out and surprise the driver, they have symptoms like a major loss of power, big end noise engine temperature going up?

#18 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Now would be a good time to learn how to swap an engine, i had to repair my diff and managed to get my engine out last weds evening and had it back in repaired Thursday and running Friday afternoon so provided you have it all go smoothly then it shouldn't cost much, at yer it's done it would be a good idea to make sure you are confident checking the basic things like oil level, brake fluid level, clutch fluid, coolant etc :)

Now would be a good time to learn how to check the oil level too............

Hope you get it sorted.

#19 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

No there was no loud noise, temprture was normal, no loss of power; plus the signal light for indicating low oil pressure did not come up?

#20 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

The point when the oil pressure light comes on is usually after damage has been done!

Did you check the oil yourself, or did the recovery bloke show you the oil level was low?

#21 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Now would be a good time to learn how to swap an engine, i had to repair my diff and managed to get my engine out last weds evening and had it back in repaired Thursday and running Friday afternoon so provided you have it all go smoothly then it shouldn't cost much, at yer it's done it would be a good idea to make sure you are confident checking the basic things like oil level, brake fluid level, clutch fluid, coolant etc :)

Now would be a good time to learn how to check the oil level too............

Hope you get it sorted.

Yeah i mentioned that in the post :P

#22 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Received call from garage and yes engine dead as a door nail! I'm looking around 1500 -2k not a happy day!

#23 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

If any one knows where I can find a good running 998 Engine please pass them towards my direction! Cheers!

#24 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Tools £100-£200, Haynes manual £5, engine £100-£200, tea and biscuits £50 (you can never have too many biscuits when working on minis), still comes to less than £500. I bet there are people close to you who would help out. Its nots as hard a job as you think.

#25 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

I wish! I live in central London, not many old minis around here but plenty of the BMW minis

#26 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

I wish! I live in central London, not many old minis around here but plenty of the BMW minis

How central?

You could speak to minijosh92 or minidaves and see if they would be willing to take on the job!

#27 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Loads of people from the big smoke on here. Every other mini for sale seems to be in London.

#28 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Notting Hill!
Spoke with josh he will keep a look out, but he has nothing at the mo; I will check out minidaves. Thanks!

#29 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

That is a stupid amount of money unless that includes a freshly rebuilt engine! 

Like I said I just had mine out, complete engine out job, ancilaries were off tuesday, weds I managed to borrow an engine crane, lifted it out and had it on the deck ready to fix, fixed thurs morning and by thursday night had it running, friday putting the rest back on and I am quite mechanically minded but I am only 20 and havent done that job yet and I was on my own  so its defo doable on if you had someone to help who knew what they were doing and had an engine ready to go straight in. 

I would put up a post here in the london area section asking for a bit of assistance and I am sure for some beer tokens or a small amount someone will help (im down in eastbourne so a bit too far plus I dont own my own engine crane) 

#30 Picco

Picco

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the tip.... I am still on the look out. But I agree very expensive, it appears that is the going rate supposingly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users