Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

1978 mini 1000

I am sure it is non ballast

she is running on points

Okay so I tried to start my mini up today without any luck, I had a few little hopeful stroke but overall was a failure. I have had some bad running over the past few weeks and put it down to timing.

So today I whipped out the coil to give it a test, it is a Lucas LA12 and I can hear the oil when I shake it, not sure if this is normal.

So for the readings I get I get 3.4 from +/- on the 200ohm setting.

I get 4.54 from the terminals to the center dizzy connection with the 20k ohms setting.

Is she broken?

Cheers

Edited by TehMarchant, 03 October 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Can't necessarily tell from the resistance readings, as a shorted turn would have hardly any effect on end to end resistance but would severely affect the output. I think you need to try a spark test to see how energetic it seems. But if it has lost oil, shorting turns or internal flashover is rather likely.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Doesn't sound like it's the coil really.  You can normally hear a bit of oil.  Did it kick the starter out a few times while you were cranking it but fail to run?

#4 TehMarchant

TehMarchant

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Doesn't sound like it's the coil really.  You can normally hear a bit of oil.  Did it kick the starter out a few times while you were cranking it but fail to run?

I was cranking for about 10-15 minutes on and off, with some slight fires but not enough to get here to run on her own steam, she has fuel in the floats and I had fuel on the plugs. She started to run rough about 2 weeks ago but I managed to get her to combe and back, I could only use about 1/8th of throttle or she would just start to die and misfire. mixture and timing has made the slightest of differences but not enough to be easily drivable.

I don't think she fired enough to kick the starter back.

Cheers

Edited by TehMarchant, 03 October 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users