#16 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

I meant the actual differential, if there's some confusion with final drives. A cross-pin one is good insurance against expensive breakages, even a Quaife if you can run to the cost and want to use it for some competition driving.

#17 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

The need for a SC CR gearbox is determined by the cam. If you have a 286 of hotter cam, then a 286 is needed because of the narrower rev range in each gear. But then a low final drive ratio is needed to enable good acceleration in the high first gear.

I recommend going to 1330 cc as when the engine needs re-boring again the block will not be scrap. There is very little difference, if any, in power output.

always accurate straight, honest and educated advise as usual. 

s/c on a everyday road car cannot be nice.    if you want to go that way ive dogbox foresale   £800

#18 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 10:20 PM

also do i need a straight cut gearbox or is there no need?

Yes, it's the law ๐Ÿ˜‹

#19 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 14 August 2023 - 06:51 AM

I would sayfind someone local with straight cut gears. See if you can live with the noise...

If it is a weekend burner then crack on.. such a fun noise but for a daily... headache..

#20 Speedymad

Speedymad

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 12:59 PM

Do Mini Spares still make the helical close ratio gears?   They were launched after we did our last engine some years ago which has a SW10 cam wo we fitted S/C ST Abingdon ratio with a 3.76 diff.  I don't mind the noise as we only use it locally but I could see it getting very annoying on a long journey.  The Mini Spares helical set seemed to be the perfect answer for a fast road car.

#21 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 14 August 2023 - 01:04 PM

Do Mini Spares still make the helical close ratio gears?   They were launched after we did our last engine some years ago which has a SW10 cam wo we fitted S/C ST Abingdon ratio with a 3.76 diff.  I don't mind the noise as we only use it locally but I could see it getting very annoying on a long journey.  The Mini Spares helical set seemed to be the perfect answer for a fast road car.

Think of this?

https://www.minispar...ical~gears.aspx

#22 fokko

fokko

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 14 August 2023 - 01:30 PM

On another note has anibody used a 1380 engine from minisport? are they any good? as thats the engine and box im leaning towards!

on the brake subject what about the m1155 are they a bit to much for a fast road and ocasional track day?

Search this forum for experiences with MiniSport... There are some people with opinions about this shop based on their first-hand experiences...

Edited by fokko, 14 August 2023 - 01:30 PM.

#23 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:08 PM

People will always tell of badmservice.. few actually say when they get good service.....

#24 fokko

fokko

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:57 PM

People will always tell of badmservice.. few actually say when they get good service.....

Maybe thatโ€™s why you hear so little complaints about MiniSpares? ;-)

#25 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,040 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 August 2023 - 03:07 PM

Remember that if you go to 1380, the bores are offset.
When that engine needs a rebore the block may well be scrap or need some special sleeves made for it.
Personally I never go more than +0.060 overbore which gives 1330cc. Offset bore is not required and when a further re-bore is needed it's simple to just have standard sleeves fitted.
Except for serious competition I have never seen any noticeable power increase at 1380 on a road or rally car. One might think that 1380 is just for bragging rights in the pub ๐Ÿ˜€

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, suspension, brakes

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users