balloonatic97

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

I have a 1990 Mayfair.

So the brake lights stopped working, then the indicators gave out (for the 5th time this year).  Upon testing the fuses, relay and brake light switch - they were all fine.  Then I lost reverse lights, rear screen demister, hazards and also the horn occasionally.  Now there is NO power going into either the indicator relay OR the brake light switch.  I am aware that the hazards are on a different circuit and the corroded mangey looking old relay could be the cause of that issue. 

I have replaced all fuses along the bulkhead and checked the ones under the dash.

what the hell IS WRONG WITH MY ELECTRICS??

Someone save me as i'm getting impatient especially after I've just replaced the alternator as it wasn't sending out any charge!!

Edited by balloonatic97, 04 December 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#2 jimnali

jimnali

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

All these devices take their power from the top fuse on the fuse box.  Check that when the ignition is on that you have power on the white wire feeding this fuse.  This shares power with the ignition system so if the car starts okay then the feed should be live too.  The fault may well be with the fuse holder or the green wires from the fuse box that powers the devices. 

• Check that the fuse itself is intact
  • Check that the fuse holder is clean, free from corrosion and makes a good contact with the fuse.
  • Check that the bayonet connections on both sides of the fuse are free from corrosion and makes good contact.

Good luck

#3 balloonatic97

balloonatic97

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

Last time I checked there was power going through all the fuses - will double check the connectors though when I get my car started (battery is dead).  I did however check the hazard relay which I could hear clicking away when I flicked the hazard switch - but still have no lights flashing :/ 

Can't really test a lot else until I get the car running but I'll let you know what I find when I do

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users