#661 big-jay

big-jay

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

That sneak shot with the arch on the rear looks really good!

Cheers Jared !

Looking great.
Why did you use aluminium rivinuts instead of stainless steel?? I am just thinking of thread softness on aluminium. Did you use a proper tool or just a screw arrangement?
Graham

Cheers Bud,

This is the tool Ive got, http://www.ebay.co.u...B0AAOSwGotWol4D

In all honesty I did want to use stainless but I used aluminium partly because it's what I had to hand and partly because before I bought that tool I read a few reviews and they said that the bit that screws into the Rivnut is susceptible to snapping on anything harder than aluminium. Don't know how true this is but thought I'd play it safe as I didn't fancy having to buy another !

They should do the job but if I have any problems in the future I'll whip them out and replace them with some stainless ones !

#662 RawlinsGTR

RawlinsGTR

Formally known as Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

Looking good Jay, car is spotless!

I wish I'd used rivnuts for my front grille now (I only used them for the headlamp bowls) but the fitment on my grille and surround isn't great because they're not matched for eachother!

Would you be able to get a side on picture of the car where the arch liners are? I'm interested to see how they line up on the arch lip (without arches fitted).

Looking forward to seeing this done :)

#663 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:47 PM

This is looking bloody brilliant!

How much flex do those arch liners have? I have been tempted by them but I've chopped a lot of my arches away for my wheels to clear so I'm not sure if they would fit properly! :unsure:  

#664 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

This thing is looking great such a nice build with loads of very nice parts used.... could win some awards this could...

#665 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Nearly at the end now! Nice to see another mini that's mostly been done by the owner, not sent away or built and money thrown at someone else to do all of the work.

#666 big-jay

big-jay

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

Looking good Jay, car is spotless!

I wish I'd used rivnuts for my front grille now (I only used them for the headlamp bowls) but the fitment on my grille and surround isn't great because they're not matched for eachother!

Would you be able to get a side on picture of the car where the arch liners are? I'm interested to see how they line up on the arch lip (without arches fitted).

Looking forward to seeing this done :)

Cheers bud,

No probs, I'll get a picture sorted for you the weekend.

This is looking bloody brilliant!

How much flex do those arch liners have? I have been tempted by them but I've chopped a lot of my arches away for my wheels to clear so I'm not sure if they would fit properly! :unsure:

Thanks Chris,

They're super flexible, I don't think you'd have any problems fitting them to be fair.

This thing is looking great such a nice build with loads of very nice parts used.... could win some awards this could...

Thanks mate :)

Nearly at the end now! Nice to see another mini that's mostly been done by the owner, not sent away or built and money thrown at someone else to do all of the work.

Cheers Steve,

Much prefer to do as much of my own work on my cars as I can, at least that way if anything goes wrong I only have myself to blame. I know some people don't have the time or resources to do it them selfs but each to their own I suppose...

#667 big-jay

big-jay

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

Update !

Wow, i can't believe it's been over 7 months since I last updated this. Where has all that time gone, feels like only yesterday I was fitting the arch liners and grille !

I've still been working away on her here and there but she's still not seen the road yet unfortunately. She is now practically finished though, just need the last few finishing pieces and she'll definitely be going to all of the shows next year.

I'll post up the pictures I've taken over this time, will be a bit jumpy though guys as I haven't taken pictures of everything I've done as I'm juggling this with another project at the moment.

Here's most of the bits I've bought -

IMG_1121_zpsxmdakqle.jpg

IMG_1135_zpswgd2jt3a.jpg

Managed to get my hands on some OEM Mini mats -

IMG_1150_zpsaezpn82s.jpg

IMG_1151_zpsmpzblqch.jpg

Also got hold of some original locking wheel nuts for the mini special wheels -

IMG_1574_zpspuqxuzd9.jpg

Look great when fitted along with some chrome caps for the rest of the wheel nuts.

IMG_1575_zpsfqmm6dgu.jpg

That's all the purchased bits (I think).

Well, it's been a while since I last removed the covers so I decided to take them off yesterday. She was looking a bit sorry for her self so I thought I'd treat her to her first wash.

You'll see in the pictures below that all the arches are now fitted, as well as the rear windows and number plates amongst other things -

IMG_1124_zpsm0b46cgu.jpg

IMG_1123_zps6tl5apzk.jpg

And back on the drive looking much better -

IMG_1566_zpsbu0hzcze.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsksbv3a0n.jpg

I took a couple of closer pictures of the rear windows fitted too, no pictures of me rebuilding them unfortunately. Not an easy job changing the rubber seal in the frame though -

IMG_1572_zpsnkvt2e2x.jpg

IMG_1571_zpshr6fjbym.jpg

Fitted the stainless steel kick plates I got from Bingley Mini show a couple of years ago, you can just see the mats fitted in these picture too -

IMG_1570_zps8ex0bkh3.jpg

IMG_1573_zps7hqqryur.jpg

Also changed out the rubber bushes in the steady arms for some poly replacements -

IMG_1126_zpsavz4l8dj.jpg

IMG_1125_zpscudariij.jpg

She sprung a pretty decent sized oil leak when I put her back on the drive too -

IMG_1568_zpspat2zbvs.jpg

I've had a dig about and the bulk of it seems to be coming from the drive shaft seal. There's also a small amount coming from the timing chain cover and the fuel pump.

I'm hiring an engine hoist soon for the other project I'm working on so I'll whip the engine out and change the seals and gaskets over. I also need to repaint the engine with some good quality paint as what's on there now hasn't faired well at all.

I know this updates a bit all over the place but I'll keep on top of what I'm doing now and hopefully get back to updating regularly.

Jay.

#668 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Those arches really do suit the car.

#669 big-jay

big-jay

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:24 AM

Those arches really do suit the car.

They do indeed !

Love the cheeky tyre poke too, really sets it off. Just got to get the geometry set up correctly now as the camber and wheel arch gapings all wrong at the moment.

#670 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:39 AM

Where did you get the mats from..? I need some for my MPI and your ones have the cut out on the right rear mat for the airbag control box under the rear seat

#671 big-jay

big-jay

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

Where did you get the mats from..? I need some for my MPI and your ones have the cut out on the right rear mat for the airbag control box under the rear seat

Bought them off a chap on this forum. I believe Minispeed sell something similar to these though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users